Wednesday, May 02, 2007

Some Quick Movie Reviews

I've been remiss. We've seen 3 films in the last couple of weeks and I haven't told you about any of them. Although, remember, we never go see movies anymore unless it's marketed to kids, so y'all have probably already seen all of these. But still. It's what I do. Plus, just for fun, I've introduced a new rating bit.



In order of importance, though not viewing:

"Little Miss Sunshine". I liked it. The acting was spot on by every single player, important in an ensemble cast. The relationships rang true. Loved the goth son who, influenced by Nietzsche, has taken a vow of silence until he gets into the air force academy. Paul Dano does more with his expressions to convey story than most people do with words.

Toni Collette was, as always, brilliant and Greg Kinnear proved himself to be probably one of the most under-rated actors in America. What I loved about both of their performances, in fact, all the performances was that every single actor rose above the material when they so easily could have played stereotypes. This is a quirky family but played in an accessible way; the quirkiness is not what defines them, it just is. They are quirky as we all are quirky. Nothing over-the-top here.

Alan Arkin was fine. I gotta say that surely there were other supporting actors who did more with their roles and were probably therefore more deserving of an Oscar. Arkin is great, don't get me, wrong. Love him. But frankly his psychiatrist in "Grosse Point Blank" was more of a stretch. Still. Love him.

Fine little message - going for your dreams. Can't hear that often enough. Frankly, though, the ending felt a little flat. I don't know what else they could have done that would have sealed the deal for me better but I found myself a little disappointed. But I quibble. It was not a waste of my time.
The Film Czarina gives "Little Miss Sunshine" 3 out of 5 Koihead.




"Sahara" with Matthew McConaughey and Penelope Cruz, or, as The Spouse and I were wont to call them throughout the film, The Child's New Daddy and Mommy.

This picture is a rollicking good time, on the order of "King Solomon's Mine" and the Indiana Jones pictures. Completely unbelievable, full of impossibilities from Cruz's character, a World Health Organization doctor, just happening to have a killer ball gown for a swanky party in the middle of Africa, to every single action sequence. I'm no ballistics expert but I gotta think that if you're putt-putt-putting along in a little open boat and are suddenly being shot at from 4 boats of militia with machine guns someone is going to get hurt. But this is "action adventure" in the true Saturday afternoon matinee style, completely divorced from reality. You suspend disbelief, root for the good guys, laugh at the many jokes (the picture is billed as an action-adventure-comedy) and enjoy the ride.

McConaughey is beautiful, as always although, I have to admit, it's time for him to do something else on the order of "A Time to Kill". He's becoming a bit of a one-note player and I know he has deeper chops than that. I don't know that I've ever seen Penelope in anything else and consequently am of the opinion that her primary acting gift is her beauty. But that's OK because she's not required to do all that much in this picture. She gets a little dirty, she has her moments, she even saves Matt once. But mostly it's about the cleverness of the boys. Which is fine.

The supporting performances are excellent, especially Steve Zahn, as Matt's best buddy, Rainn Wilson - who only slightly gives off his "Dwight" vibe and William H. Macy who, as The Spouse pointed out, is contractually obligated to be in everything.

One of the most powerful lines in the movie - and exploring this notion could be a blog post in and of itself - comes from the main bad guy, a ruthless African dictator. He's being confronted by a lesser bad guy about a situation (no spoilers) and the ramifications if other nations find out. "This is Africa," he replies, nonchalantly. "No one cares about Africa".

That floored me. It was a "time to think outside of the box" moment. Of course! Collectively no one cares about Africa. If the AIDS rate in America was as high as it is in Africa, something would be done. If a genocide like Darfur were happening in Europe, you better believe the troops would be going in. But no one cares about Africa. And when you think about the source of this line, you think, "Well, crap! Maybe that really does explain the plethora of ruthless dictators on that continent. They do horrible things because they know no one cares about Africa and won't lift a finger to stop them". Makes you think what would be possible if more of us did start to care. Just saying.

The movie is absolutely stunning visually, beautifully shot (mostly on location). It's also rated for families. We could have watched it with The Child. It's a smidge violent -mostly of the "stuff explodes" variety. I think the word "hell" is used twice, otherwise there's no even a smitch of language.
The Film Czarina gives "Sahara" 3 ½ out of 5 Koihead.





And finally, "Crash". HMOG. What an absolutely splendid movie. Really. If you haven't seen it, crawl out from under your rock and shoot it to the top of your Netflix queue. If you have seen it, time to watch it again. I know it won best picture, I know everyone talked endlessly about it upon it's release. But I'm going to talk about it again.
"Crash" is, without question, one of the most important films ever made. It provides the most honest, compelling, moving comment on the subject of racism EVER. With the exception of one main character, every single person in the film is racist, no matter what color, economic bracket, gender or job. There are 2 characters - one black, one white - who are overtly racist and give voice to the contentions of the most bigoted among us. The power of the film lies in the subtle nuances of racism that infect everyone else. It shows how no one is exempt from that particular cancer, whether they are motivated by circumstances, simple ignorance or the politics of their situation. Some of the most powerful commentary is delivered through the simplest of exchanges, a look on a black staffer's face as a white politician tries to spin a situation, in the eyes of a Hispanic maid. In nearly every case you are given glimpses into not just the motivations of the characters but tidbits that keep you from completely hating them for their views. Every character is more complicated than you expect.

It is perfectly written, perfectly acted (Matt Dillon should have won the Oscar and Don Cheadle is perfection) and there is one scene that is so frakking powerful it made my head spin. And then I cried.

It is a rich, complex story with the plainest of messages and I have only 2 regrets: 1) That I didn't see it sooner and b) that the language weren't as harsh so that this movie could be shown in every classroom in America. The movie does not wrap up anything with a tidy, "and they all learned how to live together in harmony" sort of way. That's not the point. What it does is shine a breathtaking light on one of our nation's biggest issues and forces you to look into yourself whether you like it or not.
The Film Czarina gives "Crash" 5 out of 5 Koihead.





Appropos of nothing, "Gilmore girls" last night was superfantastic.

Labels: ,

25 Comments:

Blogger TWISI opined...

LOVED Little Miss Sunshine, but like you said Crash is a classic! Brilliant film making.... I didn't love Crash, because that would be weird, but it impacted me and sometimes that is more important!

May 02, 2007 11:16 AM  
Blogger Br. Jonathan opined...

The koi heads are so CUTE! I give you five koi heads just for using koi heads.

May 02, 2007 11:29 AM  
Blogger Reel Fanatic opined...

I'm definitely with you on Little Miss Sunshine .. though all the performances were great, young Mr. Dano's was extraordinary, and the ending was one I won't forget for a very long time

May 02, 2007 11:36 AM  
Blogger Nicole opined...

I've only seen one of those - Crash - and husband and I both loved it too.

May 02, 2007 11:39 AM  
Blogger Lorraine opined...

Kendall, I wanted to love "Little Miss Sunshine" but there you go. And yeah, you don't "love" "Crash" but wowwy kaflowwy!

Thanks, Jon. I'm rather proud of them meself.

May 02, 2007 12:12 PM  
Blogger Lorraine opined...

Fanatic, thanks for stopping by. I think Mr. Dano was too easily overlooked with all the raving about everyone else. Though deserved, his performance really got me.

Nicole, I think you'd really dig "Little Miss Sunshine", too. Not for the same reasons, of course, but you should see it.

May 02, 2007 12:15 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous opined...

First, I'm still out here nose above water. Hopefully I will be more a participatory e-neighbor once the kerfluffle calms down.

Second, "Crash" is now at the top of my queue.

Thirdly, and Most Importantly, miss you! and the Child's May Day gifts were oh so adorable and sweet. Thank you for continuing the tradition - you are commended!

-jLow

May 02, 2007 12:24 PM  
Blogger rosemary opined...

I have only seen crash and agree..it is a great film. I have LMS and for some reason didn't want to see Sahara...not sure why. Guess I have to open up that box and watch LMS. You didn't watch American Idol? Really? hum.

May 02, 2007 12:25 PM  
Blogger Bad Alice opined...

I haven't seen Sahara, but I loved Little Miss Sunshine and Crash, the latter being the more thought-provoking. But I just loved when Abigail Breslin told the announcer that her grandpa was in the trunk of the car.

While I was at her mercy, my MIL made me watch The Five People You Meet in Heaven and I actually liked it. A lot. Do you think it was the Percoset and Valium, or is it actually good?

May 02, 2007 12:40 PM  
Blogger Lorraine opined...

Rosie, you'll live if you don't see "Sahara", although if you're ever in the mood for some beefcake...

Jlow, I was beginning to worry! Glad your nose is still above water. Miss you too!

Hey Bad Alice, long time no see. Sure hope you're feeling better. I haven't seen "5 People"...think I oughta? Probably should as a kind of control group. Praying for you!

May 02, 2007 12:46 PM  
Blogger Sling opined...

I thought Sahara was fun,and Crash is now at the top of my list o'flix to see.
I probably won't see Little Miss Sunshine 'cause the title makes me cranky.

May 02, 2007 4:33 PM  
Blogger Lorraine opined...

I'll be interested to hear what you think, Sling. As for LMS, the title refers to the beauty pagent the family is trying to get to and not to an insufferably cheerful child. Just in case that alters your crankiness.

May 02, 2007 6:48 PM  
Blogger Iwanski opined...

I thought 'Little Miss Sunshine' was amazingly well done.

And I, too, am pleased to see the koiheads used in this way.

May 02, 2007 7:32 PM  
Blogger Lorraine opined...

Frankly, Iwanski, not nearly enough fuss was made about the koihead. Thank you.

May 02, 2007 7:42 PM  
Blogger Red Seven opined...

Penelope is beyond wonderful in Volver ... if you want to see her actually ACT in something, I'd really recommend it.

I have to say, I was a little underwhelmed by Crash. I agree with Jensen & Wosnitzer, two white men who wrote about the movie in Black Commentator magazine, who suggest that by making everyone in the film equally guilty of racism, it evades the issue of white privilege and therefore lets white folks off the hook for being the primary beneficiaries of living in a racist system. It's an interesting read (Google this: "black commentator" crash) if you're interested in another view.

May 02, 2007 8:48 PM  
Blogger Lorraine opined...

Red, thanks for the Penelope tip. As for "Crash", I think that what was most powerful was the fact that it wasn't about "white priviledge. Yes, that's a factor in institutionalized racism in America. But what's compelling about the tack taken in "Crash" is that no one is exempt. It's too easy to suggest that the problem in America is that whites are racists. EVERYONE has that scourge in their heart. EVERYONE needs to address it.

The Child was in a predominantly black school her first 5 years. Consistently bullied (including racially) by black kids, with a black principal who listened to my concerns and did nothing because she had an agenda. If what happened to her had been the reverse, white kids on black kids, the hammer would have come down. The principal, I think, assumed "white priviledge" in the reverse...hell, we were white semi-upper class folk, we could pay for therapy. The point, for me, was that it was just wrong. It wasn't somehow more ok for The Child to be victimized because she was white. And that's the point of the movie. Regardless of intention or circumstance, that kind of hatred or benign neglect or dismissiveness or however it manifests itself is wrong. And as long as we allow pourselves to be poisoned by it, it will continue.

May 02, 2007 8:59 PM  
Blogger Citymouse opined...

Chash is one of my favs!!! Thanks for your thougths.. oh loved the May post,we have never done that here... maybe we should start

May 03, 2007 6:43 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous opined...

The koi heads were a stroke of genius.

xo nayb

May 03, 2007 8:41 AM  
Blogger Lorraine opined...

Yes, Mouse, you should. There need to be more May baskets in the world.

Nayb, Tee!

May 03, 2007 9:19 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous opined...

Okay, Sling's comment about "Little Miss Sunshine" title making him cranky totally cracked me up!

Come to think of it - the title makes me cranky, too. ;o)

-jLow

May 03, 2007 12:03 PM  
Blogger Blogger opined...

Okay, will you promise not to add me to your list of 'Blocked Commentators' (is there such a list?) if I write this?

I really, really disliked Crash. I agree 101% that it was about an extremely serious topic (one of the most serious topics of all time, in fact) and that its heart was in the right place, but I found it preachy, schematic, melodramatic and sentimental. But clearly I'm in a minority.

I haven't seen Sahara, but Little Miss Sunshine was one of my favourite films of 2006.

The last good film I saw was The Lives Of Others.

May 04, 2007 4:49 AM  
Blogger Lorraine opined...

Dariush, If I banned you, where would I get my killer dessert recipes? Everyone is entitled to their opinion, at least around here.

(Preachy? Really??)

May 04, 2007 6:23 AM  
Blogger Unknown opined...

Lorraine, I believe you and I would never quarrel about what films to rent and why. Everything you wrote was most everything I loved or disliked about those movies.

May 04, 2007 11:19 AM  
Blogger Lorraine opined...

AND, Greeny, we wouldn't have to argue about what to drink while we're watching our movies. I'll bring the corkscrew.

May 04, 2007 11:20 AM  
Blogger Unknown opined...

Yet again, I'm late to the party, but I agree with you 1000 gazillion percent on Crash. I had to watch it twice. Really powerful, and for all the reasons you said in your reply to Red. I have yet to see Sahara or LMS, but they're in my Netflix queue. :)

May 09, 2007 3:48 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home