Wednesday, April 25, 2007

Bummer

One of the things I wondered last week, after the Virginia Tech shootings, was if we would know anyone who was affected. We didn't know anyone at the school but as I learned on 9/11, the degrees of separation don't spool out too far. And sure enough. The 4th grade teacher @ The Child's school lost her cousin, Kevin.

He was a world class robotics professor. I remember hearing about him on NPR, the Tuesday after the shootings. But it didn't connect. His last name is the teacher's maiden name...I never knew her by that name...I listened to the story with that sort of sorrowful detatchment you have in such situations. When I heard of the connection to Amy, everything shifted, became somehow a little more personal if only because the grieving is no longer at a remove. I see it on someone's face every day.

He leaves a wife & 3 children. He saved the lives of 20 students, by locking them in his office. May he, and all the victims, rest in peace.

Labels:

1 Comments:

Blogger Grish opined...

Forces one to re-evaluate distanced learning...:-(

April 25, 2007 12:28 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home