Monday, April 23, 2007

Weekend Update

Let's start with the pep rally on Friday, shall we?

It was insane. The decibel level was painful. And when I introduced the Chicken Man, you'd have thought he was Bono or Oprah or something.














We got the kids pumped up doing some air guitar to "We Will Rock You".



















We were a hit.



















The dance on Saturday was a success. I didn't win the chili cook-off and I'm bitter™ about that, especially since everyone who ate it raved about it. Except the judges. There's always next year.
The Parent Board as Devo was a huge hit. The Child took photos but they didn't turn out very well. "You kept moving!" she complained. Hello? We were whipping it good. Still, you deserve to get a sense of how we looked:














Crack that whip!














OK, maybe not so much.





The Child put together a group of air jam competitors. They called themselves Sassy Girlz & 1 Boi. They rocked. Seriously. All the other air jammers just sorta hopped around. But SG&1B were jumping off the stage, playing guitars behind their backs, kneeling down, rolling around and even break dancing. The crowd went wild. It was a slam-dunk unanimous decision on the part of the judges. (Clearly, not the same people who were judging the chili. Me. Still bitter ™.

In short, big fun, lots of energy, terrific DJ who pretty much had people dancing, so to speak, in the palm of his hand. And we made money.





After we cleaned up we had a little champagne and then it was time to go home. My car wouldn't start. Dead as a doornail. No one had jumper cables so my friend Alex, the Chicken Man, drove home to get his. Waiting. Waiting. Alex arrives, we jump the car. Nothing. Mind you, I just replaced the battery 2 months ago. I was frustrated. The Child called home to tell The Spouse we'd be late. He gets me on the phone.

"Are you in 'park'?"

"Of course I am," says I, putting my hand on the gear shift and finding that it was resting between 'park' and 'drive'.

Oh.





When I wasn't doing school stuff or ignoring housework this weekend, it was all 80s-all the time. JP found a new source for videos and we were playing all kinds of stuff. I found one video that I'd been looking for since before we started our website. Every few hours we'd call each other just so we could get all giggly about how much fun we were having. It was totally awesome.






The Child was out with Boyfriend and Uncle yesterday. She came home bearing 2 large bags of fresh cut lilacs. She gave some to The Neighbor and to another couple on the street who are sort of her adopted grandparents. The rest were for me.



Lilacs are my all-time favorite flower ever. They are all over the house now.


In the kitchen,




















the bedroom,





















on the piano,















and over the hearth.
















The house is lush with their fragrance. It's really a lovely thing to have a house full of flowers on a Monday morning. Not at all bitter ™ about that.

Labels: , ,

19 Comments:

Blogger Seattle Coffee Girl opined...

I recognize a few of those vases. :)

Sounds like you and the Chicken Man rocked it out on Friday. The Devo bit makes me guffaw heartily, which also makes the wee one squirm a bit more in my belly. Mwaa-ha-ha-ha!

I can only imagine how redolent your house must be...mmmmm, lilacs. It cracks me up, I'm such a west coaster, I say li-lacks. My grandmother is such a lady, she says li-locks. So when I want to put on the Ritz, I say li-locks. So today, I say your house is redolent with li-locks. Enjoy!

April 23, 2007 1:09 PM  
Blogger Lorraine opined...

Yes, there are some Fleurishy vases involved, SCG. Li-locks. Har.

Give Buffy a pat for auntie.

April 23, 2007 1:12 PM  
Blogger rosemary opined...

You seriously look like a Catholic school uniformed kid in those pics....Devo...umm maybe. you need someone from Texas or New Mexico to judge the chili, not someone from Seattle my dear....even if they are transplanted. Lilacs are lovely...may I suggest a simply assembled grouping in the bath? makes for a much nicer environment after a spouse of the male persuasion has visited. Park...is that what the "P" means? I thought it meant "Pull the lever to D." Seems chickens aren't so smart afterall.

April 23, 2007 1:15 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous opined...

Can we trademark the word "80's" too? Or "Eighties?" And, does that cost money?

April 23, 2007 1:40 PM  
Blogger Lorraine opined...

Sure. With the right html we can trademark the world for free.

April 23, 2007 2:26 PM  
Blogger Br. Jonathan opined...

Seattlites judging chili? Blashpemy! I'm sure this Texas boy would have rated your chili Numero Uno.

BTW - that blue plaid? To. Die. For.

April 23, 2007 2:34 PM  
Blogger Sling opined...

You Catholic kids know how to have fun!
Don't worry about next years chili-cook-off...Guido loves chili.

April 23, 2007 5:37 PM  
Blogger Lorraine opined...

Sling, too true. And I take it this means Guido is available to judge next year? Ah, the fix is in.

April 23, 2007 5:42 PM  
Blogger HORIZON opined...

You have great taste in flowers as well as music Lorraine- can smell the sweet scent from here! l keep looking for a Lilac bush/tree to plant out front. Can't believe your chilli result- l bet it was fantastic - were those judges paid off or something? You'll need to post your recipe for me (oops-you've probably already done this and l missed with post so will scroll down for a look). The pic of you and Mr. Chicken makes me smile- so glad the whole thing was a success!! Your daughter will be pleased.
Bests

April 24, 2007 2:39 AM  
Blogger Blogger opined...

Now that sounds like pretty much a perfect weekend.

And I love the lilacs: VERY Jane Austen.

Paradox: I love the lilacs because they're very Jane Austen even though I don't really love Jane Austen.

April 24, 2007 5:06 AM  
Blogger Lorraine opined...

Rosemary, Thanks for the support. "Pull the lever to 'D'" makes sense to me!

Horizon, we have one wee "lilac stick" that started out in a pot over 10 years ago and even though it has been in the ground since we bought our house, it has grown very slowly and only ever gives may 5 bunches of flowers...so few that I'm loathe to cut them because then it goes back to being a stick (even though I know taking off the blossoms is good for it). I would so love for it to be huge and dense with flowers. But I'll be satisfied with sharing friends who have lilacs.

D- I don't know why but your paradox still has me giggling and I may have to add it to the "inspirational quotes" I've got posted near my Jane Austen action hero. (Not even "Pride & Prejudice"?)

April 24, 2007 6:24 AM  
Blogger TWISI opined...

The "judges" can be replaced for next years competition if you think it is needed. I'll send you Uncle Guido's number.

Lilacs.... aaaaaaahhhhhh.... nuff sed.

April 24, 2007 6:47 AM  
Blogger Lorraine opined...

The irony, K? I picked the judges. That'll teach me.

April 24, 2007 6:51 AM  
Blogger Nicole opined...

You have a piano?

Your husband is very handy to have around.

April 24, 2007 6:54 AM  
Blogger Lorraine opined...

For about 10 years now, Nicole. And yes, yes he is.

April 24, 2007 7:12 AM  
Blogger Nicole opined...

Where is the piano I've never met?

April 24, 2007 9:35 AM  
Blogger Lorraine opined...

In the living room, on the wall to the left as you walk in the front door. I'll take a picture for you as soon as my exhausted battery is done napping.

April 24, 2007 9:43 AM  
Blogger Iwanski opined...

Mmmmmmmmm. Chicken wings.

April 24, 2007 3:22 PM  
Blogger Lorraine opined...

With ranch dressing, mmmmm.

April 24, 2007 4:13 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home