Wednesday, May 23, 2007

Determination

I've been pulling together some stuff to submit to a local parenting magazine. At first I was really excited. I'm a parent and I can write. Then I started putting it off. I realized that it owes to the great Poetry Submission Debacle of 1980.

It's not so much an actual fear of rejection. That goes with the territory. There isn't a writer worth his or her salt that hasn't been rejected. J.K. Rowling springs to mind and she ended up doing ok for herself. No, it's more to do with being rejected cruelly, being told that I did it all wrong. I hate being wrong.

But then, last night, I was inspired by two things. First, The Spouse was talking about some reality show, "On the Lot" I think it's called. There's been a lot of buzz about it in the indie film community, with which he's connected, and his whole thing is that is not how you earn your chops. You get a gig, you do your best and try to be a reasonable person and then you get hired on something else. You have to be willing to be a grunt, you have to be willing to learn and eventually you manage to get somewhere.

As an example he cited our friend Norbert, who works in LA half of the year. Norbert doesn't go down to the union hall to see what's available. He calls the people he knows to see what they're doing and they hire him because he has a good reputation in the industry. That's how it works.

It made me think about how sparse my actual writing cred is but obviously, the only way to get more stuff on the resume is to work it. So there you go.

And then, because I'm still in mourning for "Gilmore girls" and don't yet know what to do with myself of a Tuesday evening, I watched most of the finale of "Dancing with the Stars". It's a really annoying program, btw, but I knew Apolo Ono was in the finals and I ♥ him.

He and his adorable partner Julieanne won, which means that now he has a shiny disco ball trophy to put next to his bronze, silver and gold Olympic medals. That in itself is a little silly, I know. But here's the thing: this is a 25 year old kid (just had his birthday yesterday, in fact) who has already accomplished some significant things. He could probably rest on his endorsements for the rest of his life. But he entered this silly competition, for whatever reasons, and then he put everything he had into it. He listened to and learned from his professional partner. He took the judges critique to heart and every week, from what I understand, he worked hard to be the best he could be. He was consistently described last night, by judges, other competitors and people who know him as "determined".

After winning he was asked how he felt and replied, "I feel amazing! You put your mind to something, you give 100 percent, sacrifice and dedication, anything is possible.”

It's such a basic formula that it seems naive but coming from someone who has proven the formula time and again, it had weight. And I thought, "100%. What would that look like?" Because, people, to be perfectly honest, I'm not sure that I've even managed 50%.

So there you go. I'm going to ship that stuff off and look for other stuff and keep plugging and who knows? Maybe I'll get a frakkin' disco ball myself someday.

Labels: , ,

10 Comments:

Blogger Unknown opined...

Okay, first of all, I love Apolo Ono too. I'm glad he won, though I didn't watch any of the show this season. And the part about giving 100% - well, I think I've done that a couple of times in my life, but not nearly as often as I should have. So, yeah. But seeing this clip, well, his dancing didn't impress me all that much. Maybe he was better on other dances. Maybe he was hot on the salsa and latin numbers. My all-time favorite is still Mario Lopez from last year. But then, I shouldn't judge Apolo from that one dance. His partner, on the other hand...what I wouldn't give to a) be able to dance like that and b) look like THAT in that dress! Amazing!

And Lorraine - I KNOW you'll get a disco ball someday!

May 23, 2007 12:00 PM  
Blogger Lorraine opined...

That wasn't necessarily his best dance but it was hard to find clips that spared you the hosts and the judges and all that nonesense. And frankly, hello? If I could dance as well as he does I'd be happy. He's adorable.

And thanks.

May 23, 2007 12:16 PM  
Blogger TWISI opined...

WONDERFUL post, I think I am going to have to link it!

Kendall

May 23, 2007 12:43 PM  
Blogger rosemary opined...

Lorraine, you are for sure 100% a lot of the time. I know...I have been at least 70% maybe twice and you are way beyond that. Your writing is wonderful, your parenting commendable...that's enough. We all win a disco ball at some time in our lives....you just have to recognize the ugly thing when you get it. Don't forget American Idol finals tonight....oh right, you don't watch it....

May 23, 2007 1:54 PM  
Blogger Seattle Coffee Girl opined...

I think you've already got a disco ball...remember that little something called the inaugural edition of Unbound Press? :) Snaps to you, LT. Great post today.

May 23, 2007 3:55 PM  
Blogger Sling opined...

Faint heart ne'er won fair disco ball...just sayin'.
Seriously lorraine,I not only think of you as a friend,but as a writer...It's a connection I make naturally.Sooner or later,a publisher is going to see that as well.

May 23, 2007 6:13 PM  
Blogger Lorraine opined...

SCG: That's the thing though...Apolo didn't stop with one medal. It's about keeping the momentum, you know?

Rosemary: That is very kind of you although really, let's reserve judgement on the parenting skills until she's, you know, out in the world.

Sling: You are the dearest thing. (But I won't tell...wouldn't want to damage your street cred or anything). Amggg!

May 23, 2007 7:46 PM  
Blogger Grish opined...

Hi hi!

May 24, 2007 3:49 AM  
Blogger Citymouse opined...

okay... ive been in mommy mode so here it is....

There is one thing for sure, if you dont try you'll never get the disco ball. No one will ever be able to tell you "you're wrong" if you dont try.

So it's up to you, but I think life is to short not to take risks.
Most of the things I regret, are things I havent done-- not what I did end up doing.

May 24, 2007 8:15 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous opined...

You can borrow the disco ball from the club, but make sure to put it back when you're done.

I think the ladder is still out in front.

May 24, 2007 10:33 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home