Wednesday, May 16, 2007

Sweet Things

We had take-out pizza for dinner last night. Because the Gilmore girls loved pizza. And I baked a store-bought apple pie for dessert because a) the Gilmore girls loved pie and 2) Lorelei never cooks.

Now I'm having apple pie for breakfast. With coffee. The Gilmore girls sure did love their coffee.




During dinner last night The Child was telling us that she had this fantasy that Uncle JP was going to show up at our door just in time to watch the finale of "Gilmore girls" with us.

Then there was a knock on the door. You should have seen her face.

It wasn't Uncle JP. It was some woman and her kid. The kid had found my wallet outside the pizza place. Everything was still in my wallet.

Apparently the kid found it and took it home and told his mom to call the police. Mom told him that wouldn't be necessary and just looked for my ID. When she realized that we just lived a street over they brought it to me. Could have called and had me come, but no, took it on herself to make the delivery. And the kid refused to accept a reward. I did, however, praise him mightily for his integrity. His mom beamed and he did that awkward "aw shucks" shuffle that pre-teens are wont to do.




When the "Gilmore girls" theme started, The Child and I began to sing along. And then we started crying. And we cried all the way through the song. (Laugh and I'll hurt you).




After the show ended The Spouse found me in the kitchen and he gave me a big hug. And he didn't laugh at me.




15 minutes after the show ended JP called. It was after 11 his time and because Central Time shows are actually 3 hours ahead of Pacific Time, he'd had to wait forever to call me. But he did. And the commiseration was good. Of course, we also realized that with "Gilmore girls" gone we have nothing to hold our relationship together. We're so over.

Kidding.

We still have the 80s.




Was the ending what I wanted? No. But it was ok. Considering everything, they did what they could. It wasn't lame. It ended sweetly enough, right where it began. Rory got a job, reporting from the campaign trail with Barack Obama. Plus she met Christian Amanpour, who she idolizes. Luke and Lorelei are going to be together, even though we didn't really get the satisfaction there that we deserved. It was just one long goodbye and now it's over.

I'm wearing black. I'll try and pick up the shattered pieces of my existence and move on. I won't bother you with it again.




JP already played this last week but I don't care. One more for the road:

Labels: , , , , ,

10 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous opined...

You're not going to believe this. The 80's has just been cancelled. Lauren Graham called the network and told them that she didn't care for the hairstyles or some of the outfits. She also says she's keeping the Bangles.

It's been nice knowing ya.

May 16, 2007 9:55 AM  
Blogger Lorraine opined...

Man, I am liking her less and less all the time. Well, ok, then. Take care. Have a nice life.

May 16, 2007 9:56 AM  
Blogger rosemary opined...

Will you two stop it? It's not too late....start watching American Idol and/or Dancing with the Stars...three left on each show and you might just fall in love all over again...because what is life without music and dancing???

May 16, 2007 1:14 PM  
Blogger Br. Jonathan opined...

I'm so sorry, but you're going to have to hurt me when you come to Chicago. I was already laughing. With you, not at you.

Oh, and The Child could use an Uncle Buck now that JP's out of the picture.

May 16, 2007 2:42 PM  
Blogger Lorraine opined...

Rosie, it's way too early in the mourning period for tough love. And I'm sorry, but there's no way Idol or Dancing will ever fill the void. (I'm rooting for Apollo, you know. Not that I watch it but I did catch his 2-step. Wow).

Jon, but she already has an Uncle Buck. Actually, I think that means JP and I will actually still have to see each other at family reunions...he can't throw over The Child. Even if Lauren tells him to.

May 16, 2007 2:55 PM  
Blogger Unknown opined...

I know exactly how you feel. Now, I didn't laugh at you, so you can't laugh at me, but I cried like a baby when they aired the last episode of "The OC". Yeah, we got closure, even a brief fast forward five years to see how things were turning out, which was cool, but still. I loved that show, and so did my best friend, and we both cried when it ended. I have yet to find a new love, though "Friday Night Lights" comes close, in a different but interesting way, like when a new cute, hot boy moves in down the street. I'm glad you had The Child to cry with, and that The Spouse was so great. I feel so sad for JP. He was all alone in his misery until he could call you. How good a friend is that?!

You know, I have to get the show on DVD now and watch it, just to see what the fuss was all about.

May 16, 2007 4:52 PM  
Blogger Lorraine opined...

I would never laugh at someone crying over the end of a beloved television series, Gina. ('k, maybe if it was America's Top Model or something like that). Thank you for understanding.

May 16, 2007 6:11 PM  
Blogger Red Seven opined...

I didn't cry when Sex & the City ended, but was visibly mopey for at least three days. I get that.

(Scott Patterson is flamin' hot. Did Lorelai and Luke get a 'happily ever after' moment in the finale?)

May 17, 2007 9:49 AM  
Blogger Lorraine opined...

Not the moment we wanted, Red. There was a kiss and then in the final scene she was wearing a necklace that we knew he'd bought for her a week or so ago and when Rory commented on it she touched it lovingly and shot him a warm and fuzzy glance which, I guess, is supposed to suggest to us that they are back together and all is right with the world. NOT as satisfying as, say, Mr. Big showing up in Paris and sweeping Carrie away.

May 17, 2007 1:45 PM  
Blogger Melinda opined...

Here I am back in 2007. After reading a couple of your more recent posts, I just had to start at the beginning. You are a hoot!!! But you are making my life more complicated. I just became obsessed with the Myst game, then decided to abandon the free online version to buy cd, then decided I needed to read the books and do everything in sequence. NOW, I havta, gotta, must watch all the Gilmore Girls shows after reading your posts. You probably will never see this, but had to tell somebody! Oh, and we're the same age (if that means anything to you).

April 19, 2011 7:35 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home