Monday, May 14, 2007

My Mother's Day was Lovely, Thank You

I appreciated all the comments wishing me a reduction in snorkiness levels and a happy Mother's Day. It was very kind. The snorkiness is on it's way out and Mother's Day was awesome.

It began with a nice lie-in until I couldn't lie-in anymore. Then The Spouse presented me with a dozen beautiful roses and made a luscious breakfast of Eggs Benedict and mimosas. Possibly of greater importance, he then cleaned the kitchen. We all played a game of Scrabble, which The Spouse won and then The Child went off to play with friends. It's an irony, but the best mother's days seem to be the ones when no particular mothering is involved. I spent the day in my jammies, playing videos and throwing, with Sling, a virtual party at "Here's the 80s" for JP's birthday.

The Spouse made a yummy dinner and then we sat around the table and read aloud "Rikki Tikki Tavi" by Rudyard Kipling. I'd never read the story before and it turns out that it was one of The Spouse's favorites growing up. His mom, may she rest in peace, used to read it to him all the time so it was a nice little way to honor her mothering as well.

The day was wrapped up with The Child and I watching "Iron Chef: Battle Garbanzo" on the Foood Network. Good times. Good day.

Of course, now I'm the Worst Mother in The World again. She just called and asked me to bring her a CD for use in the talent show. She doesn't actually know that she needs it but she wants to be prepared. And I replied that it was the sort of thing she really needed to be responsible for and that I didn't really have time to run it over to her. She was not pleased but there you go. Could I have actually bothered to run that errand for her? Sure. But at 13 it's time she learns to look after the bits and pieces of her own day. It's my job to teach her that.

The best part of being sick is the renewed sense of energy when the illness passes. I expect to be a very productive little kitten today.

Labels: , , , , ,

8 Comments:

Blogger Citymouse opined...

smiles... I had the same for breakfast...except today I'm cleaning the mess.

May 14, 2007 9:48 AM  
Blogger rosemary opined...

Hum, I had my usual soy sausages..the everyday meal of champions. You deserved a good MD...and kudos to the spouse for clean up. You are right about the child. I did stuff for my kids way beyond what was acceptable or smart...thus I have one slob who pays someone to make her bed once a week, an O/C son who cleans like a fiend like me and another son that is half and half...then there are the cats.

May 14, 2007 11:02 AM  
Blogger Iwanski opined...

Good work on the teaching of responsibility. It matters, and someday she'll appreciate all of it.

May 14, 2007 3:41 PM  
Blogger Sling opined...

I suck at scrabble!
Oh sure,I can lay down words like "ornithology",and get 8 points for it,only to have my opponent spell "bird",and get 112 points!(double this,and triple that,and...jeebus!)..I have zero strategy skills..
But,the important thing is that you had a fine Mother's day! :)
I'm thnking of keeping a cannister of Helium around just for fun.

May 14, 2007 5:08 PM  
Blogger Suzanne opined...

Glad you had a relaxing day, and I have to agree.."non"-mothering and being pampered for a day is the best kind of Mother's day!

May 14, 2007 6:31 PM  
Blogger Red Seven opined...

For my mother this year, I picked up a Master's degree that she didn't have to pay for.

I totally rocked Mother's Day this year. But there's no way to top it for next year, so now I'm worried.

May 15, 2007 4:42 AM  
Blogger Br. Jonathan opined...

I got a card to my mom on time, called her on Mother's Day, and my younger brother dropped the ball on everything. So now, I'm The Best Son in the World. And that's as it should be.

May 15, 2007 8:56 AM  
Blogger Lorraine opined...

Hope there's some left over champange with a little fizz left, Mouse.

That doing too much thing, Rosemary, a fine line to be sure. Especially when in the beginning when you have to do everything for them and then have to start weaning yourself off of it so they learn to stand on their own two feet. Man, this mothering stuff is hard work.

From your lips, Iwanski...

Sling, that's totally my problem, too. Great words, no strategic sense AT ALL. And I love it when you leave comments in a high, squeaky voice.

Isn't it a funny twist, Suzanne? "Happy Mother's Day..I'm taking the kids to the zoo". Excellent.

I know she's very proud of you, Red. Let's call it the gift that keeps on giving.

Well, of course you are, Jon.

May 15, 2007 9:44 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home