Tuesday, May 15, 2007

It's My Blog and I'll Cry if I Want To

"Gilmore girls" ends tonight. My favorite show ever (besides "Battlestar Galactica"). I am very sad. I'm sad for all the reasons I mentioned the other day. All good shows come to an end. But this one didn't have the plug pulled until just a few weeks ago. Up until that time there was still a shot. And the fans wanted another season. According to JP, Lauren Graham was the one who pulled the plug, saying that the story had been told and there was no where else to go with it. I couldn't disagree more but then, I haven't been working on a series for seven years. I don't really want to be subjected to a final lame season which is missing it's heart because the star and producer is done, even though I can think of at least 3 story lines that deserve more of a conclusion than I think they can give me tonight.

I am sad. The spring sunshine mocks my pain. It should be raining. Two women just walked by with their dogs and strollers, callously laughing at a joke. Don't they know? Don't they care? Wars rage, disease and famine march across Africa, idiots run the government and yet, on Tuesday night at 8pm I could sit down and for one hour be transported to a wacky little town in Connecticut and lose myself in the life and loves of the Gilmore girls. It was one of the funniest, best written shows on television and I am going to miss it. (Doesn't help that the new season of "Battlestar" is still seven months away).

Sure, I can collect all the seasons on DVD (which I plan on doing) and watch it whenever I want. But we all know that's not the same. It's an adage in the industry that where you leave a movie (or television show) is supposed to give you a sense of where the characters go after the ending. In other words, Sam is still running his bar in Boston. Bob is a psychiatrist in Chicago who once dreamed of owning an inn in Vermont (or wherever). Jerry and his friends, well, I guess they're still in jail. Paul and Jamie had their ups and downs but their marriage endured and their kid grew up to be a film-maker like her dad. Hawkeye survived the Korean conflict, BJ went back to Mill Valley with Peg and Erin. Will and Grace's kids grew up to marry each other.

But the girls? I don't know. Are their dreams going to come true? Is Lorelie going to end up with Luke, as she should? Will they get married and make another Gilmore girl?

People, I'm not kidding you when I tell you that this all makes me very sad. I don't even care if you think admitting this demonstrates a complete lack of perspective. I loved this show and it's going away and there will be weeping. Oh, yes, there will be weeping.

But first we dance. Found this little clip today and it made me smile in spite of myself. (Sorry, Rosemary-say 'hi' to the gerbils for me).


Labels: , ,

12 Comments:

Blogger rosemary opined...

The gerbils are constipated this morning....Really..I mean really, I understand how you feel about GG. There have been shows in the past that I still miss...shows that at my age I really shouldn't have identified with at all, but I did connect with them. Some were frivolous, others had some real depth. Maybe it is leaving your own life behind for 30 or 60 minutes, wishing you could be in the TV life, seeing ones self in the show...whatever , they leave their mark and the sadness is true. If they end the Sopranos with Tony being drug addicted or kill him off I will be really upset....Tony is/was my Uncle Sug and I miss him/them. Really.

May 15, 2007 10:35 AM  
Blogger Lorraine opined...

Thank you, Rosemary, for your kindness and understanding in this difficult time.

May 15, 2007 10:38 AM  
Blogger Br. Jonathan opined...

While I've never even seen one single episode of GG, I am truly sad for you.

I felt that way during the last episode of "Queer As Folk." But now, I can't stand to watch the reruns. My god! they took themselves WAY too seriously.

I'll be thinking about you and JP tonight. My condolances.

May 15, 2007 12:25 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous opined...

Tomorrow is going to be a rough day.

May 15, 2007 12:28 PM  
Blogger Lorraine opined...

We appreciate that, Jon. A tasteful floral arrangement would be nice, too.

We're in this together, Poodle.

May 15, 2007 12:29 PM  
Blogger Bad Alice opined...

Even though I was never a Gilmore Girl, I know that some day my favorite shows--House, Boston Legal, and Numbers--will bite the dust, and I will weep bitter tears.

I've tried to get into Heroes, but I just don't have the mental energy.

May 15, 2007 1:45 PM  
Blogger Lorraine opined...

And I will stand with you in those bitter hours, Bad Alice, just as you stand with me now.

And I so get that about "Heroes". I really tried but when I'm going "huh?" 15 minutes into the premiere that's a pretty good sign.

May 15, 2007 3:00 PM  
Blogger Bad Alice opined...

You know, I suspect Heroes is one of those shows that, like The Evil Dead, really makes more sense when you're stoned. The Evil Dead was not nearly as funny the second time I saw it. Maybe I should just whip up a batch of special brownies and watch the repeats.

May 15, 2007 5:35 PM  
Blogger Lorraine opined...

Could be, Bad Alice, could be.

May 15, 2007 6:37 PM  
Blogger Sling opined...

Well if you're sad I'm sad..I'll just go beat up them Gilmore girls if you want!..Oh wait..I just saw the "no mocking" label....Nevermind.

May 15, 2007 7:43 PM  
Blogger Renee opined...

I guess I know what show I've missed from the beginning to put in my queue next...

Also, I miss the Buchmans too now that you remind me of it.

May 15, 2007 8:22 PM  
Blogger Lorraine opined...

Awww, Sling, ya softie. I can always count on you. Wait...

Renee, yes, yes you should. And weren't the Buchmans the best?

Sigh.

May 15, 2007 9:10 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home