Thursday, March 01, 2007

March Comes In

To the north and south there is lots of snow and ice. Right here, in the little pocket of urban bliss that is Seattle, there is bright spring-like sun, fluffy white clouds in the brilliant blue sky and the sound of crocuses popping from the ground. Decidedly lamb-like for my neck of the woods but far more liony for the rest of the region. Should make the 31st very interesting.

While dusting some very grimy books this morning I had a revelation-that's-not-so-much-a-revelation-as-a-reminder: I am good at many things. Waiting is not one of them.

This has been a very productive week and that just thrills me to no end because so often I'm much better at laying plans than actually executing.

We finally got around to watching "Brokeback Mountain" last night. Meh. Meh to the 10th power. The Spouse liked it. But then, as I'm wont to say, he likes everything. Never met a movie he didn't like. He will even find the one thing that works in a movie that is universally held to be horrible. I like that about him. Although if he says a film is "great" you should get a second opinion.

Did I mention that The Child's class is reading Romeo and Juliet? They have all signed up for different parts and scenes...she's going to be the Nurse, in Act II, Scene iv. The parts have to be memorized and performed near the end of this month. We started running lines this week, one 15 minute session a day. Oh. My. Gosh. She already has all the little lines memorized and she's working her best British accent. She's also rolling well through the various modes of expression required in this particular scene...indignation at saucy Mercutio, feigned hurt at Peter standing by while Mercutio is saucy, not to mention warning, conspiring and encouraging Romeo...all in the same speech. She really is going to be amazing. And you just haven't lived until you hear her said "Scurvy knave! I am none of his flirt-gills; I am none of his skainsmates!"

I think she's going to be a method actress because after we practised she changed into an old Halloween costume that has a renaissance thing happening and asked, while she was making splendid BBQ chicken sammies for dinner, if we could please try to talk like the Nurse and Juliet.

In other news, my car has decided to make some sort of horrible grinding noise that sounds like I'm dragging a piece of fuselage. This is perfect timing because the extended warranty I bought on the thing 2 years ago is no longer in effect. The good news is that there are really good mechanics just down the street. The bad news is there will be a car repair bill. That is never a good thing.

And now I must away. Fair jocund day salutes my eye and...and...that Elizabethan crap is hard.

Labels: , , , ,

11 Comments:

Blogger Citymouse opined...

ahhh we are reading the great gatsby with the swiss son and the 13 yr old has a play this next week.... love spring!

March 01, 2007 11:35 AM  
Blogger Br. Jonathan opined...

I'm still out of it: What does "Meh" mean?
Frankly, I thought Brokeback was kind of, well, boring!

You should kick up "Wit" to the head of your Netflix queue. It's astounding. Get out the hankies.

March 01, 2007 2:29 PM  
Blogger Lorraine opined...

Spring is a very good thing, CM.

J: Meh? Pretty much means "boring". Same page we are being on. (I'm surprised it didn't put me to sleep).

March 01, 2007 2:32 PM  
Blogger TWISI opined...

2 words made Brokeback anything but boring for me those 2 words... Jake Gyllenhaal.... he is just YUMMY!!!!!!!!!

March 01, 2007 4:44 PM  
Blogger Lorraine opined...

I'm in the Heath Ledger camp, myself. And yet...

March 01, 2007 4:55 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous opined...

I was not bored watching Brokeback. I thought it was beautifully filmed, I loved the music, I was very touched by the love story. I'm in both the Heath and Jake camps and I thought they both acted the hell out of those roles.

March 01, 2007 5:07 PM  
Blogger Lorraine opined...

Beautifully filmed, absolutely. Touching love story? Meh. Acted the hell out of their roles? Uh...meh again.

March 01, 2007 5:17 PM  
Blogger Red Seven opined...

I loved Brokeback Mountain. It made me cry buckets. It probably helped that I saw it on its opening weekend when there was lots of buzz but no one was sure that it would be any good or not. As a gay guy who very easily could have been raised in North Idaho, it cut a little close to home.

I also love Romeo & Juliet. One of my first professional acting gigs was as Friar Laurence, and it was a blast. And our Nurse was fan-freakin'-tastic. It's a great showy role.

March 01, 2007 6:14 PM  
Blogger Lorraine opined...

Red: From now on I will say, "I love people who loved "Brokeback Mountain". It'll be the best I can do.

I kinda wish you were here to give the kid direction...I mean I'm doing my best and she's definately working it but I'll bet you'd have her kicking in ways she never knew she could kick!

March 01, 2007 7:08 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous opined...

From all I had seen, it looked like it would bore the hell out of me. You have confirmed that.

Now, The Child in Romeo and Juliet? I just hope it makes it to Netflix.

March 01, 2007 8:16 PM  
Blogger Lorraine opined...

JP:

a) Like I said in the email...that 2.5 hours I just gave you? Use them wisely.

2) Golly. We own a video camera and I have a YouTube account...hmmmmm.

March 01, 2007 8:19 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home