Monday, February 26, 2007

Oscar Highlights

I did pretty well on my picks...not bad, considering. Plus, I discovered that I had actually seen one of the other nominated films, a documentary called "Deliver Us from Evil", so I was feeling particularly smug by the end of the evening. (How did I manage to see 2 of the nominated documentaries and none of the best picture nominees?)

Best Moments for Me:

All things Ellen, including the fact that she wore proper shoes. Wasn't actually crazy about the maroon velvet tux-like thing, but it is not like Ellen became successful owing to her brilliant fashion sense. That's Portia's job, anyway.

Alan Arkin choking up during his acceptance speech. Scorsese choking up during his. I love that stuff.

Helen Mirren.

Al Gore.

Those dancer people who did the sillouette thingys...that was nice. Mostly because they were so mercifully brief. Do you remember when they used to have full blown dance numbers for each nominated picture? And how excruciating it was? Cutting those was the best production decision made in the history of television. (That and green lighting "BSG").

Will and Jada's faces when little Mr. Jaden came out to present.

But the moment that made me jump with unrepressed giddiness was when Diane Keaton came out to present because I ♥ ♥ ♥ her. I would just love to spend a day hanging out with her.

Best I've Never Heard of That But I So Have to See It Now:
And the kid who made the movie gave a really sweet and earnest speech.



Best You Could Have Heard a Pin Drop After winning in every category, "Pan's Labyrinth" was beat out for best foreign language film by "The Lives of Others", a German film that no one I know has heard of. And then the director or whoever it is that receives that particular statuette gets up and has a bloody American accent. What the?

Biggest Disappointment: Peter Frakking O'Toole has now been nominated, and passed over, 8 times. Passed over for his work in the following:
1962 - Lawrence of Arabia
1964 - Becket
1968 - The Lion in Winter
1969 - Goodbye, Mr. Chips
1972 - The Ruling Class
1980 - The Stunt Man
1982 - My Favorite Year
2006 - Venus

How is this possible? In '03 he was presented with the Honorary Whatsit Oscar for his body of work..and he wrote the Academy saying, 'Thanks' but he was "still in the game" and would prefer to wait and "win the bugger outright". Then they told him he'd be getting it whether he showed up or not, his kids told him it was a great honor so he went and received the award from Meryl Streep. (I looked all this up, btw). Still. Sheesh.

Also, I didn't spill anything.

Labels: ,

17 Comments:

Blogger Blogger opined...

I need to get my hands on those aforementioned edited highlights...

Scorsese choked up???!?! No way! Another sell-out, darn it! Ooooh, the drama queen in me SOOO thinks he should've played the haughty card. His acceptance speech should've consisted of nothing more than the titles of some of his other (in my opinion, superior) films. But, actually, on second thoughts, no. (Down drama queen, down!) His humility is one of his more endearing features.

Okay, I need to stop now. I feel the urge to make a scrap book...

February 26, 2007 7:25 AM  
Blogger Lorraine opined...

Way. It might have had something to do with the fact that the presenters were Copolla, Lucas and Spielberg.

February 26, 2007 7:27 AM  
Blogger Citymouse opined...

ok, i want to see west bank story and i want to see those dancers live... if you get any word, let me know. Great post, btw

February 26, 2007 7:35 AM  
Blogger TWISI opined...

I didn't do so well on my picks, I got 11 right 13 wrong.

You liked the dancers? UGH, I hated that...although as you said it was at least brief. (Unlike my Oscar wrap up post over at my Blog)

February 26, 2007 7:44 AM  
Blogger Lorraine opined...

CM: Will do.

Kendall: Um, yeah. I think it's cool when people make themselves look variously like a penguin, a VW van and a gun. I can't do that.

February 26, 2007 8:16 AM  
Blogger Renee opined...

I missed Ellen's opening monologue - maybe I can find it on YouTube. I also missed any of the pre-awards shows which bummed me because even though the interviewers completely annoy me, I love looking at the dresses.

We saw "The Departed" on Saturday night. It had a good plot, I'll give it that, but I have a hard time getting through the senseless violence.

February 26, 2007 8:20 AM  
Blogger Lorraine opined...

There were certainly some fab dresses last night, too, Renee. (I always wonder what I'd wear to the Oscars).

I totally here you on the violence thing: actually, I don't think I've ever actually watched any of Marty's films for that reason. Just the clip they showed last night was enough to assure me I won't be seeing "The Departed" either.

February 26, 2007 9:06 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous opined...

"...I don't think I've ever actually watched any of Marty's films..."

May I remind you dear Nayb, that we watch "The Last Temptation of Christ" together every Good Friday?

Just sayin...

xo nayb

February 26, 2007 11:09 AM  
Blogger Lorraine opined...

Of course! And now the annual ritual is complete...because I seem to recall that every year I say something like, "Oh. Right. I forgot Scorsese directed this".

No gangsters. That's always what throws me.

February 26, 2007 11:12 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous opined...

Oh, I don't know, those Romans hanging out with David Bowie are pretty gangster like.

February 26, 2007 2:33 PM  
Blogger Lorraine opined...

See, I always think of them more as thugs than gangsters.

February 26, 2007 2:42 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous opined...

1. i like ellen. especially when she took a picture of her and steven spielberg "for her myspace"
2. the lives of others was a good movie
3. the departed is very violent. matt damon is very hot. i went to see this in the theater because hotness wins every time
4. spot on with the dancer observation (cute and to-the-point dancing)
5. jennifer hudson acts in her first move EVER and gets an oscar, but peter o'toole doesnt.
6. overall, this was a very strange and bad year for movies. i'm not quite sure why (i think every year is going to get better and better...)

k thats all

February 26, 2007 3:51 PM  
Blogger Lorraine opined...

Stacy: Oh, totally...I forgot about the photo thing...that was hysterical.

And yeah, I have no idea if Jennifer Hudson was Oscar-worthy, having not seen the movie, but I know Peter O'Toole has never NOT been Oscar-worthy. Just a bloody shame.

February 26, 2007 4:34 PM  
Blogger Sling opined...

Ellen was perfect!..It's like she was doin' her regular show,and the audience happened to be Hollywood's elite.
I was rooting for Peter O'toole,but I think Forrest Whittaker deserves to be recognized as well.
Hottie hit parade;
1)Reese Witherspoon
2)Gwyneth Paltrow
3)Cameron Diaz..(It's a wonderful world in which a Cameron Diaz represents 3rd place)..;)

February 26, 2007 7:35 PM  
Blogger Lorraine opined...

Sling...that was Ellen's performance exactly...including the dancing.

And I love Reese but hello, am I the only person who thinks there is something completely abnormal about her chin?

February 26, 2007 8:28 PM  
Blogger Pamelamama opined...

oh my, i have to see that crazy west bank story movie !!!

February 26, 2007 9:36 PM  
Blogger Lorraine opined...

PM: Totally.

February 26, 2007 10:33 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home