Saturday, February 24, 2007

Past, Present, Future

Yesterday

The Child was helping me unload groceries from the car. Which was very nice and helpful of her. Then we were talking in the kitchen and it felt cold. I asked if the door was open. It was. Which meant that The Dog was gone. He would never miss an opportunity like that.

The biggest challenges were that we didn't know how long he'd been gone (possibly about 10 minutes) and his tags recently fell off and we haven't troubled to attach them to a new jump ring and get them back on his collar. The guilt I felt over the latter was huge. If we didn't find him right away, how would anyone know to contact us if they found him. I almost cried but didn't, mostly because I had to help The Child keep a lid on her own hysteria.

She grabbed the walkie talkies and got on her bike. She went north, I went east as these are the 2 directions he's most often gone in times past. Every 2 minutes The Child would call me, with a wavering voice, to see if I'd found him yet and to say how badly she felt about not closing the door properly. Every 2 minutes, 10 seconds I'd tell her to keep looking, remain calm and pray to St. Francis.

As I began walking what we call the Boofacina Mile, I ran into a man taking his schnauzer for a walk. I told him there was a little black schnoodle on the loose and to please keep an eye out for him. I was about halfway along the Mile when the walkie-talkie cackled at me...it was The Child and she had The Dog. (The man with the schnauzer had been a help in his retrieval, btw. Yay for the kindness of strangers).

I found the two of them at the corner of our street. The Child was sitting on the ground, wearing her bike helmet and weeping into The Dog's fur. He was sitting calmly on her lap, looking up at me with wondering doggie eyes. "Mama," she sobbed, "I saw him in the alley and I said, 'Come Dog, I have a treat' and he came running right to me and he didn't even try to get away and I hugged him and gave him a treat and the treat was love". And then she started bawling again.



I finished my test yesterday. The one for The Job. It kinda kicked my ass, not because it was really all that hard. I knew what needed to be done but there was also a lot of second guessing and rewriting and obsessing over details. Which is probably what they want but considering that I wasn't actually given a paradigm to work with I wasn't always sure that I was obsessing over the right details. I finally had to shake myself and say, "Hey. You're done".

Part of what I did for the test, though, was make one of the recipes. There were things about it that I just wasn't sure about so the only thing to do was make it. It involved sweet dough and frying. Yum.



The Child has a Science Fair at school on Sunday. She finished her project last night. I'm very proud of her. This is also the last science fair of her elementary career. (They do it every other year). This does not sadden me.




Today
I woke up thinking about a few changes to make to my test. I was excited as these were bits of phrasing that had been eluding me the entire time and they came to me in my sleep. All I needed to do was plug them in , spell check it, have one other set of eyes read over it for anything I might have missed and I could send it in, with time to spare.

So of course, the network had gone woogly in the night...something it does when it matters most. Yes. I had saved my document. But I have some weird thing going on with Word wherein once I close the program, whatever I've done gets all wicky in the whacky woo and has to be completely reformatted. (Yes, Gina, that's still not resolved). It only happens to my stuff. So I hadn't actually closed Word through all of this. But now it closed itself. And I was none too happy about having to completely rewrite the whole bleeding thing.

Which is why I was very happy when The Spouse decided to open it on his computer and email it to me.



I have more dough to fry. Won't that be lovely?



Remember Macaroon? The big sister The Child never had? Well, she is now tutoring The Child in math on Saturdays. They work for an hour and then I give them money and they walk down to the coffee shop and have girl time. It is very awesome.




Tomorrow
Oscar Night. Yay! The Neighbor is bringing BBQ.

Labels: , , , ,

6 Comments:

Blogger rosemary opined...

You are just soooo neat, Lorraine...you are part everywoman, specialwoman, momwomankidwife and friendwoman.

February 24, 2007 11:19 AM  
Blogger TWISI opined...

The Child is the best, I love her innocence and compassion.

I also love friend dough!

Good luck with the test, stop stressing and go for it!

February 24, 2007 11:22 AM  
Blogger Lorraine opined...

Actually, Rosemary, I'm part poodle, part Russian wolfhound.

Kendall, she was pretty sweet, alright. And thanks for your good wishes. And you're right. I'm sending it off today.

February 24, 2007 11:41 AM  
Blogger Red Seven opined...

And who are your Oscar picks, Lorraine? I'm hoping that The Departed sweeps the big two (Picture & Director). I went to my last "Oscar Prep" flick last night -- Volver (I wanted to see all five Best Actress nominees even tho' no one has a chance against Dame Mirren ... she IS a Dame, right?) -- and it was fantastic. Should be up for Best Picture.

Babel, on the other hand ... meh.

February 24, 2007 3:47 PM  
Blogger Hapamama opined...

Ok, now I'm teary eyed and craving fried dough.

Kudos to "Little Miss Sunshine"!!!

February 24, 2007 7:52 PM  
Blogger Blogger opined...

Phew, thank goodness you found the dog! And good luck with the job application process.

I'll be fast asleep as the first of the golden statuettes is handed out...

February 25, 2007 3:32 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home