Monday, February 26, 2007

My Computer is Ticking

Seriously. I don't think I've ever heard it make that noise before. Or maybe it's just that it is so blissfully quiet that I'm noticing for the first time.

"But,isn't it always quiet around there of a Monday morning?" you ask.

And I reply, "Well, yes, technically".

But the stillness of which I speak is more to do in my own mind. I was so looking forward to getting up this morning and starting this week because for the first time in 3 weeks I'm not stressing about anything. For 2 weeks I was preoccupied with details and busy-ness for the school Mardi Gras, plus our own Carnevale feast. Overlapping with that and then carrying over into last week was all the hooha around The Job, what with the resume/cover letter/test related stuff. But now the parties are over and The Job stuff is out of my hands and I don't have to think about it until I hear anything else. (The Child was very cute this morning, asking if I'd sent in the test. Then she proceeded to ask all sorts of questions about how we will do things when I start working. So I had to remind her that I don't have the job yet. "Well, I know, but let's just say..." she pressed on, dismissing the idea that it won't become a reality with a wave of her little hand).

Between us, I'm pretty confident that I'll get an interview. No reason why I shouldn't. But we all know that doesn't assure me of anything beyond that. I've interviewed people before. Being qualified doesn't necessarily mean a person is "a fit". God knows where this will end up. And that's fine for me.

I am just very happy to have this day, with lots of time in it to do all the things I feel like I've been neglecting these last few weeks. And just for now, let's avoid discussing the obvious fact that all this preoccupation, waking at 3am with too much stuff buzzing in my brain and juggling of expectations and obligations is likely of preview of coming attractions should I get The Job. I recognize the need to hone my juggling skills. I don't plan on practising today.

12 Comments:

Blogger Unknown opined...

Is it still ticking? Often, it's a stuck keyboard key. Or a bad spot on the hard drive it's trying to read over and over (let's hope the former).

February 26, 2007 10:34 AM  
Blogger Lorraine opined...

Lillibet was still ticking when you asked and your analysis started freaking me out so I decided to shut her down and see what was what. When I rebooted the noise stopped so it likely wasn't anything dire. Thank heaven. And thank you.

February 26, 2007 11:31 AM  
Blogger Grish opined...

My computer fans are louder than I would like So I always have some music turned on, or the tv or music videos via this nifty web site that I found called "Here's the Eighties" you oughta check it out...:-P

February 26, 2007 2:11 PM  
Blogger Lorraine opined...

Ooh, really? I just loooovvvve 80s music...

February 26, 2007 2:43 PM  
Blogger Otilia opined...

I checked in JUST to hear about whether or not the job has landed. Sadly, another cliffhanger episode!!!

Looking forward.....

February 26, 2007 7:27 PM  
Blogger Lorraine opined...

Could be awhile, E...

February 26, 2007 8:29 PM  
Blogger HORIZON opined...

Your computer is ticking and mine is talking!
Hubby messed with something and now every 15 friggin mins l hear an nice american woman tell me what time it is- arghhghgh!
lol

February 27, 2007 2:24 AM  
Blogger Blogger opined...

No! No! I still remember the last time we heard ticking!

We had to buy a whole new hard drive. And had we backed up its contents prior to the ticking? Of course we hadn't!

February 27, 2007 4:21 AM  
Blogger Lorraine opined...

Horizon, LOL. Reminds me of the time The Spouse set up our computers so that anytime you hit the wrong key in an operation the computer would say, "I'm sorry, Dave. I can't do that". It was really funny. For a day.

D: I suppose it's good to know that the ticking can mean something so ominous. At least it has the decency to give a warning. Fortunately, it didn't return after the reboot so I guess I'm safe. For now.

February 27, 2007 6:16 AM  
Blogger Unknown opined...

"...so I guess I'm safe. For now. "

That's the operative phrase, Lorraine. Just make sure you're backed up - just in case.

February 27, 2007 6:52 AM  
Blogger Lorraine opined...

The good news is that I don't actually save anything to my computer. It's all on the family network. Which does get backed up regularly.

It would just be a pisser if Lillibet is fixin' to blow. I have to be working before she can even think about that!

February 27, 2007 6:56 AM  
Blogger Citymouse opined...

Ahhh and I bet you even have the motivation to do all those things too! Lucky you!

February 27, 2007 8:38 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home