Thursday, September 14, 2006

Pop Tarts

The first concert I ever went to was The Fifth Dimension, at Memorial Coliseum in Portland, Oregon. My dad, Sean Connery, sprang for tickets for my 13th birthday (or maybe it was 14). The whole family went plus my best friend, Sharon. That was 7 tickets. I would love to know how much they were. $3 or $5 a piece maybe? I don't really know but it had to be something like that because I do remember when I was in college a bunch of us went to see The Police and we were so angry that a ticket cost the outrageous sum of $8. (Who did they think they were?)

I was totally into Top 40 in my early days and I just loved the Fifth Dimension. (Oddly, none of their songs were on my Top 100 list, although Laura Nyro's "One Less Bell to Answer" did make it into final consideration). Sean Connery and Dame Judi were more into the Henry Mancini/Burt Bacharach/Herb Alpert and the Tijuana Brass vein, plus crooners like Perry Como and Andy Williams, of course. I can't imagine that the fondest dream of their lives was to take 5 kids to see some "rock" band. (Yes, you may giggle...the 5th Dimension were hardly rock). But they did it and I still remember my excitement both leading up to and during the event.

I journied away from that sort of music within a few years. I wandered over to the folk/soft rock side of things. There was an embarrassing and brief disco phase. (I blame my college roommate). Eventually, guided by assorted boyfriends and the punk movement, I discovered the music I still love today. (See the list). And while I'm pretty sure I wouldn't be able to stand to listen to an entire 5th Dimension record at this point, whenever I hear one of their songs I think about Sean and Dame Judi in the Coliseum, doing their bit to give a little bit of delight to their first born.

Which is why, when The Child begged, I felt compelled to say 'yes' to taking her to see the
Cheetah Girls and Hannah Montana at Key Arena tomorrow night. Oh, my friends, this is Disney spawn of the highest order. Franchise music performed by much too perky girls. And yet, and yet...

I love that The Child has a purely pop sensibility at this point in her life. She knows Bob Dylan and The Beatles. But she's a tweener and tweeners listen to pop music. She doesn't like rap. (Sorry, Iwanski, but I'm totally ok with that at this phase of her tender life). She likes simple 3 minute songs that she can sing along with and basic, danceable beats. And I think that is just adorable and age appropriate and all the rest of it. There is plenty of time for her to move from bubblegum to more substantive fare.

And frankly, I also rather like that her generation of singers is pretty girl heavy. She really only likes one boy singer (Jesse McCartney, no relation to Paul). That's cool, because you're never too young to learn that girls rock. (Especially Avril Lavigne).

Labels: ,

12 Comments:

Blogger TWISI opined...

I hope the concert will create a memory of a lifetime for your daughter like the one of your youth!

September 14, 2006 3:01 PM  
Blogger Lorraine opined...

Me too, Kendall, me too.

September 14, 2006 3:04 PM  
Blogger Unknown opined...

I'm sure she'll remember this the way you remember the Fifth Dimension concert.

Sean Connery and Dame Judi sound an awful like my folks when it comes to music tastes. I grew up on Herb Alpert, Andy Williams, Henry Mancini, Burt Bacharach, Dean Martin, Frank Sinatra, and Lou Rawls. Crazy me. I still like that stuff. I have this vision of my mom and dad swing dancing in the living room... they were so good!

September 14, 2006 3:35 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous opined...

When I was about 13 or so,my mom told me she bought a bunch of albums from the Columbia record club..(yawn)..Imagine my surprise when The Beatles "Abby Road"..Led Zeppelin..et al arrived...Moms ROCK!..You Rock!
Oh yeah,..a little Perry Como never hurt anyone..I'm just sayin'.

September 14, 2006 6:31 PM  
Blogger Lorraine opined...

Gina, Every kid should have a memory of mom and dad swing dancing in the living room.

Sling, Your mother is now one of my personal heroes.

September 14, 2006 7:14 PM  
Blogger Grish opined...

Hope she has a good time.:)

September 15, 2006 4:11 AM  
Blogger jLow opined...

This reminds me of an attorney I worked with years ago . . . his daughter at the time was obsessed with the Backstreet Boy. Guess who got to take 7 (count 'em!) screaming pre-teen girls to the concert of their lifetime?? Needless to say, his recap of the evening was nothing short of hysterically funny to us but it was very evident that he would not trade the experience for a zillion dollars!

And another memory comes to mind, too. I was only about 4 or 5 but my Mom and Dad had an 8-track of Herb Alpert & the Tijuana Brass Band. The tape was orange plastic and my Dad kept it in our old Thunderbird. We were driving home one summer evening and their favorite song came on - my Dad stopped the car in the middle of the (country) road and he and Mom got out and danced right there while me and my brother collapsed in the back seat giggling.

good times . . .

You "girls gone wild" have a fabulous time at the concert!

September 15, 2006 7:53 AM  
Blogger Lorraine opined...

I've no doubt she will, Grish. I'm surprised she got to sleep last night.

See what I mean about the power of parents dancing? Love that story Jlow!

September 15, 2006 8:34 AM  
Blogger Unknown opined...

Gosh! JLow's comment gave me goosebumps! I think I'm going to cry! I can't believe she was only 4 or 5 when 8 tracks were around, though. Heck, that's what the car I had in college played! :)

September 15, 2006 10:31 AM  
Blogger Lorraine opined...

Gina, I know what you mean. She's obviously way younger than us. But that's ok, she has great taste in music and dancing parents.

September 15, 2006 10:41 AM  
Blogger Unknown opined...

Yes, we'll forgive her her youth! ;) Her reaction to her parents' dancing is pretty much what I get from my son when I dance around the living room. Paroxysms of laughter.

September 15, 2006 7:26 PM  
Blogger Bad Alice opined...

We've already seen Cheetah Girls 2 twice, or maybe that was three times. I've lost count on Cheetah Girls 1. DramaQueen always asking to listent to hip-hop or rap, which I avoid because I don't care for it. I flipped the station for five minutes and we ended up having to explain what "pimp" means.

She also keeps talking about a song called "Bossy." I just googled the video and I'm wondering how in hell she managed to hear the song at all. Ick. Double ick.

I'm happy to drop some cash on the Cheetah Girls soundtracks. Wholesome has its benefits.

September 16, 2006 8:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home