Sunday, September 10, 2006

Top 100 Songs. The List.

No one comes around on Sunday. So I figure I can go ahead and make some of my readers happy and post my Top 100 Songs.

I'm not going to apologize for my selections because I like them all and I don't care what you think. After listing them I was struck by the obvious Top 40 sensibility I clearly possess and for a second felt a little weird about being so uncool but at almost 49 years of age what the frackity frack do I care what you think? There isn't a single song on this list that is remotely esoteric or fantastically groovy. There will be no point at which the phrase "Whoa, Lorraine, you are soooo cool!" will pass your lips. There will, however, be some sniggering. I'm just here for your amusement, people.

(I admit, I wish this list had proven to be a little hipper than it is but that ship has pretty much sailed and I'm just going to have to be mature about it. I am not hip. There. I said it. Now you don't have to).

I decided to alphabetized the list so as to not give a suggestion of preference. I prefer them all. One song I liked so much that I listed it twice and didn't realize it until I sorted the data. Which was fantastic because it gave me an extra slot for another song. Tweaking will continue, no doubt. Over the next 40 years or so I'm likely to encounter one or two songs I will love very much, don't you suppose?

OK, to reiterate, if'n you're going to play: the challenge was for songs (not you know, symphonies or whatever), your favorite 100 of all time, from any and all genre of music. You aren't trying to quantify which is your most favorite of all time so relax about that. I also included, where appropriate the names of the artists (as opposed to composers, who may be one in the same, but you know what I mean).

I would like to point out one thing about my list that is very cool. There isn't a single Dave Matthews song on it.


40 - U2
59th St. Bridge Song - Simon & Garfunkel
A Case of You - Joni Mitchell
Adeste Fideles
Ain’t to Proud to Beg - The Temptations
Allison - Elvis Costello
Amazing Grace
America - Simon & Garfunkel
America the Beautiful ( shut up)
Anticipation - Carly Simon (I mean it; shut up)
As Time Goes By - Dooley Wilson
Auld Lang Syne
Be Thou My Vision
Beautiful Day - U2
Beautiful Tonight - Eric Clapton
Best Friend’s Girl - The Cars
Borderline - Madonna
Brass in Pocket - The Pretenders
California Dreaming - The Mamas & The Papas
Christmas Wrapping - The Waitresses
Climb Every Mountain - "Sound of Music" Soundtrack

(You know, I'm not making fun of your list, so why don't you just stop sniggering like that.)

Closer to Fine - Indigo Girls
Come What May - "Moulin Rouge" soundtrack
Complicated - Avril Lavigne
Dancing Queen - ABBA
Do You Believe in Magic? - Lovin’ Spoonful
Don’t Go Back to Rockville - REM
Don’t Stand so Close to Me - The Police
Eli’s Coming - Laura Nyro
Every Breath You Take - The Police
Every Day is a Winding Road - Cheryl Crow
Expresso Love - Dire Strait
Girls Just Want to Have Fun - Cyndi Lauper
Good Lovin’ - The Rascals
Greensleeves
Hand in My Pocket - Alanis Morrisette
Heroes - David Bowie
I Heard the Bells on Christmas Day
I Love a Man in Uniform - Gang of Four
I Say a Little Prayer for You - Dionne Warwick
I’ve Got a Crush on You - Ella Fitzgerald
I’ve Just Seen a Face - The Beatles
Sledgehammer - Peter Gabriel
Imagine - John Lennon
In Your Eyes - Peter Gabriel
Ironic - Alanis Morrisette
Is She Really Going Out with Him? - Joe Jackson
It’s Too Late - Carole King
La vie en Rose - Edith Piaf
Last Train to Clarksville - The Monkees
Lawyers, Guns and Money - Warren Zevon
Layla - Cream
Leaving on a Jet - Plane, Peter, Paul & Mary
Linger - The Cranberries
London Calling - The Clash
Love Shack - B 52s
Magic Man - Heart
Moon River - Andy Williams
More than This - Roxy Music
New Year’s Day - U2
Nothing Compares 2U - Sinead O’Connor
Ohio - CSNY
Our House - CSNY
Pretty in Pink - Psychedelic Furs
Pretty Persuasion - REM
Puff the Magic Dragon - Peter, Paul & Mary
Radio Free Europe - REM
Respect - Aretha Franklin
Right Here, Right Now -Jesus Jones
Romeo & Juliet - Dire Straits
Rosalita - Bruce Springsteen
Runaway - Del Shannon
She’s the One - Bruce Springsteen
Silent Night
Smells Like Teen Spirit - Nirvana
Somebody to Love - Queen
Still Haven’t Found What I’m Looking For - U2
Suffragette City -David Bowie
Tangled Up in Blue- Bob Dylan
The Way You Look Tonight - FrankSinatra. Or anyone.
Thunder Road - Bruce Springsteen
Til There was You - Shirley Jones
Time after Time - Cyndi Lauper
Tis a Gift to be Simple
Train in Vain - The Clash
Univited - Alanis Morrisette
We Will Rock You - Queen
Wendall Gee - REM
Werewolves of London - Warren Zevon
What’s so Funny about Peace, Love & Understanding? - Elvis Costello
Where You Lead - Carole King
White Rabbit - Jefferson Airplane
Whiter Shade of Pale - Proco Harem
Will You Love Me Tomorrow? - Carole King
Wish You Were Here - Pink Floyd
Wonderful World - Louis Armstrong (and the Ramones)
Wuthering Heights - Kate Bush
You’re so Vain - Carly Simon
You’ve Got a Friend - James Taylor
Your Song - Elton John

So there.

14 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous opined...

That list is hardly mockable. Well done.

What is mockable, is that you caved so easily. Hee.

September 10, 2006 2:36 PM  
Blogger Lorraine opined...

I'm a pleaser. Mock away.

September 10, 2006 3:18 PM  
Blogger Iwanski opined...

Yes, hi. I would like to mock "Dancing Queen" and "Ironic" please. Thank you.

September 10, 2006 4:55 PM  
Blogger Iwanski opined...

Seriously, though, overall I think you have fine taste on music.

Many, many great songs.

September 10, 2006 4:56 PM  
Blogger Lorraine opined...

Bite me, Iwanski.

September 10, 2006 5:02 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous opined...

That's a perfectly wonderful list!
If it makes you feel any less uncool,I have a couple of Harry Belafonte tunes on my list..
"Shake,Shake,Shake, Sonora"...WoooHoooo!

September 10, 2006 5:14 PM  
Blogger Otilia opined...

A Case of You gets a Number One. I think Time after Time, Rosalita, Auld Lang Syne and most Alanis & the two Queen references I can go with.

In the hymn category, my favorite is Come Thou Fount of Every Blessing.

September 10, 2006 7:50 PM  
Blogger Lorraine opined...

Elroy, What? I get no credit for The Temptations?

September 10, 2006 8:49 PM  
Blogger Lorraine opined...

Sling, Harry Belafonte came very close to being on the list. In fact, he probably should be. 100 seems like such a big number, until you start listing your favorite songs. Top 200 would have been easier.

Edy, Golly. I'd think our fav lists would be pretty similar. And frack, of course, "Come Thou Fount"....seriously, 200 would be better.

September 10, 2006 9:31 PM  
Blogger Lorraine opined...

Oh, and Elroy, yes, actually I was a Talking Heads fan. And I would like you to burn me a copy of "Stop Making Sense" because that is a super fantastic album. Hey, this is way harder than it looks, people!

September 10, 2006 9:32 PM  
Blogger Bad Alice opined...

You have--dare I say--catholic tastes. Har har har har.

Many songs that I like, and now I have to find Christmas Wrapping, 'cause I don't think I've ever heard it.

And yes--no Dave Matthews!

I'm not sure I could remember 100 songs. That could take a week or two.

September 11, 2006 6:37 AM  
Blogger Unknown opined...

I agree, 100 is so not enough! I am not surprised at how many songs are on your list that would be on mine too. In fact, I think they almost all could, even Dancing Queen (c'mon, iwanski, ABBA rocks!). I would have such a hard time deciding what to put on the list. My tastes are pretty eclectic, as are yours! Great list. Now I'm going to have to do one.

September 11, 2006 7:25 AM  
Blogger Unknown opined...

Very good list. I liked many. You picked one interesting one I was looking for- Moon River" because I could see you as an Andy williams fan. I had a crush on him in the 60's when he had his variety show.

September 12, 2006 8:29 AM  
Blogger Lorraine opined...

Greeny, I was SOOOO in love with Andy Williams....

September 12, 2006 8:57 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home