Tuesday, September 12, 2006

One Day at a Time

The Child didn't have all that much to say about the first day of school, except to let me know in no uncertain terms that "7th grade is AWESOME". 'k. We can work with that. She also came into the kitchen while I was slicing tomatoes for our burgers and asked, "Mom, would it be ok if I made my lunch for tomorrow?"

Would it be ok? Hmmm. Let me think about that and get back to you, because, you know, I hate it when kids assume responsibility.

She got her homework done in study hall before volleyball practise and she came home and laid out her clothes for today.

I'm looking for the pod.

We had a little chat the night before school started about the expectations that come with being in the 7th grade. It can be a little overwhelming. She knows that her performance in these next 2 years have a lot to do with getting into the high school she wants. And she is off to a good start. But I also told her something that I think, without putting too fine a point on it, is one of the wisest things I have ever said to her. I told her that all she needs to be concerned about is doing her best for today. Just this day.

And, since I'm in a quasi-reflective mood, I suppose that is one of the lessons of 9/11. We are only given the present moment. One hopes that those moments will string together into a long and happy life but we aren't given any assurances. So all we can do is bring our best to this situation, this circumstance and let tomorrow take care of itself.

Even as I was sharing with her the importance of just focusing on each day as it comes, I was reminding myself. Because I'm a worrier. I worry a lot about The Child, especially when it comes to academics. I worry about how her past experiences have shaped her attitudes, especially her less than enthusiastic approach to the whole school thing. But she started this new year in absolutely the right frame of mind. She was excited. She was focused. She was determined. And bringing all those things to bear, she had a very successful first day of school. So we'll stay the course of this particular strategy, doing our best, one day at a time.

By the way, guess who asked if she could go to study hall today?

Labels:

12 Comments:

Blogger jLow opined...

WOW! What an incredible reflection on you, Mom!! Do you mind if I add it to my parenting repertiore? The Child sounds like quite the young lady.

PS - You've also inspired me to work on my Top 100. So weird the places an old song will come to me.

September 12, 2006 1:38 PM  
Blogger Lorraine opined...

We're all about the inspiration over here at "Here's the Thing", jlow. And make sure you post your list!

September 12, 2006 1:42 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous opined...

Wow, 7th grade. That's like, almost college. Did you cry?

September 12, 2006 2:19 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous opined...

7th grade, how is this possible? Here's wishing The Child a fabulous new year filled with opportunities, successes and taking things one day at a time.

This is going to be a fantastic year for her, and for you...I can just feel it in my bones.

~The Bride

September 12, 2006 2:56 PM  
Blogger Lorraine opined...

I didn't cry, JP, but there was a "holy cow" moment when ChouChou and I realized that we have fewer Bloody Mary Mondays left than 8 we've already celebrated.

September 12, 2006 2:57 PM  
Blogger Lorraine opined...

Thanks, Bride, although I think that feeling in your bones is the tingling sensation of have only 11 days left until your wedding!

September 12, 2006 2:58 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous opined...

tomorrow's child response: "7th grade really SUCKS mom!"
... at least that is how 7th grade went for me. awesome one day, sucked the next.

September 12, 2006 4:46 PM  
Blogger Lorraine opined...

All of 7th grade sucked for me so she's already doing better than I did. (And today wasn't "awesome" but it was "good" and it was downgraded only because she had a headache. So she's batting .1000!

September 12, 2006 5:02 PM  
Blogger Renee opined...

Your post reminded me of a quote my 5th grade teacher painted above the chalkboard: "Write in your heart that today is the best day of the year."

Is getting into high school competitive there? Wow. I lead a sheltered life.

September 12, 2006 8:25 PM  
Blogger Lorraine opined...

Renee, Yeah, Catholic high schools are pretty competitive. Most of them go almost solely on grades. Number one on our list is a little less so. They have programs for students with learning disabilities and like to weigh other factors. Which is why The Child has a really good shot with them. It's crazy though. We'll start the touring/interviewing thing this year, which seems just plain nuts to me. I mean, when I was in the 7th grade no one thought about high school because everybody just went to one of two in the area and you pretty much chose which one based on where you lived. MUCH different situation here in the big city.

September 12, 2006 8:51 PM  
Blogger Grish opined...

Lucky! I still have to confiscate my kid's dirty cloths so they don't get worn twice in a row...:P

September 13, 2006 2:18 AM  
Blogger Lorraine opined...

Yes, she is, Charlie. If she keeps it up I'll treat her by sending her to Glasgow for a pie.

Grish, Don't be too jealous. She had to walk over a mound of laundry on the floor to lay out her clothes! We're still finetuning the system!

September 13, 2006 7:11 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home