Friday, June 30, 2006

The Purest Form of Activism

In our house, The Spouse has political opinions and he votes. He is a very good citizen. I'm the one who takes it a little step farther with the activism, although it's hardly like he's married to Cindy Sheehan or anything approaching that. One thing I do, about which I feel very strongly, is contact my representatives on a regular basis.

Even before I was involved with on-line groups like MoveOn, True Majority and Faithful America, I called my reps. Now I do it more often. It is the quickest, easiest way to be involved in the process, it is effective and it is my way, and yours, around all the lobbyists and PACs and smokefilled backroom deals. Sure, sure, deals will be made and shenanigans will continue but at anytime I can call a senator or representative's office and tell someone exactly how this constituent would like to be represented. (Plus, I love calling and saying, "Hi, I'm a constituent in Seattle"....) Those calls are logged and tallied and the information matters to our legislators. Those calls can be especially meaningful when a rep. is sitting on the fence on an issue. They do pay attention, especially if they think we pay attention. Because that's how it's supposed to work, people. (And, because I wasn't raised in a barn, I'm also very good at calling in a 'thank you' when they vote as I had hoped. Because it's always nice to be appreciated for doing a good job).

So, The Spouse signed Maria's net neutrality petition yesterday but wants to call our senators as well. So for The Spouse and my other bloggy readers in Washington:

Sen. Patty Murray (202) 224-2621 in DC, (206) 553-5545 in Seattle
Sen. Maria Cantwell (202) 224-3441 in DC, (206) 220-6400 in Seattle

(Remember, Maria is on record supporting net neutrality so your call to her can be more in the area of "thanks for your leadership on this and please keep it up").

I'm going to assume that those of you in other states know who your Senators are but in case you don't have their numbers handy go here, type your state in the 1st search box in the top right hand corner and their numbers will be right in front of you in a flash.

Call 'em today about net neutrality. And then call 'em next week about whatever else is on your mind. Power to the people!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home