Monday, April 26, 2010

And Away We Go

In less than a week I will be in Washington D.C.

I have never been to our nation's capital and I'm demmed excited. You might not know this about me, but I'm one whimpy arsed patriot. I never get all the way through the National Anthem at a ballgame because I start cryin' like a wee bairn. So the thought of being in D.C., only blocks from the Capitol, wandering around a place rife with history and meaning, well, it gets Mama just a little bit varklempt.

But that's not all.

Sure. It's just freakin' swell that I get to go to a conference with my peers to exchange information and knowledge and all that hooha. It's dandy that I get to spend time touring the monuments and sites of DC, reveling in all that is gloriously Americana.

But it turns out, I got peeps. Peeps in da 'hood. So, for example, on Sunday I'm hooking up with Anne to go to church and maybe if I'm lucky Mom will be there, too. Then later in the week I'm having dinner with my darling-cousin-who-I've-never-met-but-who-I'm-purty-sure-I'm-related-to Doralong. And if all that tweren't enough, I'm also hooking up with my college room-mate, Shelley, who I last saw before I met The Spouse. (She's an opera singer and her husband conducts the Navy band or some such thing).

Now all I have to do is:

get everything on my desk at work under control so that I can

prepare the FREAKIN' notes for the discussion I'm leading on website development and then

figure out what to wear on the day that requires me to participate in a scavenger hunt at the Smithsonian before attending a meeting in a Senator's office with no time between events to go to the hotel and change

which will happen around the same time I buy a bustier to fit under the superfantastic dress I'm wearing to the fancy arsed dinner the last night of the conference (in a joint that used to host the likes of, uh, George Washington and Thomas "Freakin'"Jefferson).

I do have a new superfantastic bit of luggage on wheels that doesn't remotely look like all the other (black) bags that will be on the carousel at baggage claim. (And don't even start. Mommy has to check her bag. WAY too many costume changes in one week for a carry-on). I'm going to start packing it tomorrow.

Labels: , , ,

14 Comments:

Blogger Mom opined...

I am planning on seeing you Sunday.

I live here and I still get goose bumps when I see the monuments downtown.

April 27, 2010 4:58 AM  
Blogger Anne opined...

Mom, wear a sweater.

Rainy's coming to my 'hood! I can't wait!!! Yippee!

I'm just trying to figure out how to get a week's worth of sights in a few short hours.

April 27, 2010 6:38 AM  
Blogger Anne opined...

This comment has been removed by the author.

April 27, 2010 6:39 AM  
Blogger Molly Alyssum opined...

You were born for this. :)

April 27, 2010 9:30 AM  
Blogger Doralong opined...

Woo hoo!! Now that I got the hotel figured in my mental map 'o downtown- I'll pick the dinner/drinks spot. SO many things I'd love to show you!! Just not enough time... I still think I'll kidnap you and drag you on out into the hinterlands of Virginia to Casa de Locos.

Don't ferget the spare memory card for your camers.

April 27, 2010 3:30 PM  
Blogger Doralong opined...

Oh yeah, your scavenger hunt- remember spring around here is very, very unpredictable. Layers honey, lotsa layers. And I cannot stress this enough, adorable flats.

Pictures of the mall make it look like a tidy, easily trotted space. It's a haul sister from one end to the other, trust. I made the mistake of heels only once and by the time I made it from the metro to the steps of the Capitol building I was sorely (lame pun intended) regretting my vanity.

April 27, 2010 3:35 PM  
Anonymous Syd opined...

Sounds like you have a pretty full itinerary already, but you might be interested in picking up the latest issue of Conde Nast Traveler. It's the one with Mrs. Obama on the cover, and it talks about all kinds of fun and interesting things to do in DC and environs.

I hope your travels are safe and your time is good!

April 27, 2010 6:04 PM  
Blogger Miss Healthypants opined...

Have a wonderful time, Rainey!! :)

Iwanski & I definitely had a good time in D.C.--such a cool, historic place to be! :)

April 27, 2010 7:28 PM  
Blogger Rainey opined...

Can't wait, Mom. Truly.

Anne, trust...all I need is some time with my peeps.

That's sweet, Mols.

Camera is charged and ready, Cuz. And trust...I have heels but they are ONLY for the in-hotel events. Mama's wearin' flats the rest of the time. And oy, the outfit I have for my scavenger hunt @ the Smithsonian that morphs into a meeting in a Senator's office...the epitome of layering.

Syd, thanks for the tip!

Will do, MHP. Can't wait.

April 27, 2010 8:39 PM  
Anonymous rosemary opined...

Wish I could wear a bustier....but it would have to be a buttstier that went all the way up....and down. i am so jealous!

April 28, 2010 3:05 PM  
Blogger Sling opined...

It's been almost forty years since I went to DC,and the memories are as clear as if it were yesterday.
You are gonna have SO much fun! (and represent beautifully,no doubt).
Try to spend at least a week touring the Smithsonian. ;)

April 28, 2010 6:00 PM  
Blogger Anne opined...

I've got one more word for you: home-made pie.

April 28, 2010 7:23 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous opined...

P, L, H, & B T's

Yay. You get a cool vacation.

What happened to the finale of P R?

Ya I saw it. Oh well, guess you were busy.

Remember to breath deep at every point of stress and exhale through your mouth. (Inhale through the nose) duh

Peace

:+}

April 28, 2010 11:08 PM  
Blogger Anne opined...

I hear it'll be 90 on Sunday.

April 29, 2010 7:58 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home