Wednesday, March 31, 2010

Up and At 'Em

Our family has fallen into some weird space-time mashup that has rendered mornings in this house completely topsy-turvy. It's a little too easy to blame it on DST but that's part of it. And also the fact that for whatever unholy reason, The Child's school starts earlier in the last quarter of the year.

Here's what used to happen:

1) The Spouse's alarm would go off and he would listen for a few moments to the dulcet tones of Steve Inskeep (hubba hubba) and Renee Montagne.
2) Spouse would get up, make coffee, feed the pets, shower and get ready for his day.
3) He'd kiss me goodbye.

I regarded his getting up as my own snooze alarm and the kiss as the final beep. I would rise and shine and give God the glory, glory. The animals would usually get up with me but other than their kerfuffling, I would have a quiet hour for coffee, browsing headlines, blogging etc. The Child (who completely ignores her alarm at any and all costs) would be roused at the quite decent hour of 7am, we'd get ready for the day and I'd drop her at the bus stop on my way to work.

(Please note: following Christmas there was some amendment to this schedule relative to play time on the Wii Fit but in all other respects the morning was unchanged).

But now it's all wrong.

The Spouse claims to be getting up the same time as always but I don't believe it. He is leaving much later than he used to. ("No, I'm not," he'll say. "Yes, yes you are", I'll say. "Your not the boss of me!" he'll shout. "Yes, yes I are", I'll say. Then I'll giggle because I'm not and then he will snort because he can't stay mad at me when I'm so adorable).

Add to this that The Child must be awoken much earlier because, among other things, she has to get herself to the bus stop since it comes so much earlier and I can't drop her. Oh, and I completely forgot to mention that I'm currently Driving Miss Neighbor to work and back and such because she had foot surgery and can't walk on her foot forever. (The timing of this is really good because my car has officially turned into a POS and the less I have to drive it the less my adrenal system has to constantly switch into high gear because of the tendency of the car to now stall out randomly but quite completely when at a full stop).

After a couple of weeks of this madness, of feeling squeezed by time, I made a command decision that changed my life (if you can name the movie from whence that(italicized) line came I will give you a pie. It will be a virtual pie but still. If you name the actress who says the line I will put virtual whipped cream on your virtual pie).

I'm getting up earlier. At 5am. Which is, admittedly, a time that not too many years ago was so early it would literally make me nauseous. But staying up after everyone went to bed doesn't work, for all sorts of reasons, not the least of which that a late night house feels different than an early morning house. An early morning house has promise and bird song and a kind of quiet that isn't present late at night. A late night house is creaking and settling, animals are still stirring because you are and there's still traffic outside and it just doesn't feel the same so there.

I'm one day in to this 'getting up before everyone else thing.

We'll see how this goes.

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous opined...

5am? Are you freaking kidding me? 6am kills me, and that's only for half the week.

No idea what movie that is. Can I have some pie anyway?

March 31, 2010 7:43 AM  
Blogger Molly Alyssum opined...

Good for you Auntie Raine. I don't know the movie... but I don't like whipped cream, anyways. :)

March 31, 2010 8:22 AM  
Blogger Nicole opined...

My Best Friend's Wedding? Cameron Diaz?

March 31, 2010 10:13 PM  
Blogger Lorraine opined...

Poodle, just so you know...this will NOT be the case when I am in Omaha. In 8 weeks and 1 day.

Mols, are you actually related? Don't like whipped cream? Way to make Auntie hurt.

Ding, ding, ding! Nic wins the virtual pie AND virtual whipped cream!

March 31, 2010 10:23 PM  
Blogger Miss Healthypants opined...

I TOTALLY know what you mean, about a late-night house feeling very different than an early- morning house--I do concur. :)

And good luck with the 5 a.m. thing...how's it going so far? :)

April 03, 2010 5:12 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home