Monday, April 12, 2010

You Can't Come In

Research says that teenagers' brains are not yet fully formed. Something to do with synapses from the frontal lobe not yet connected to the rest of the brain or something. It's why they don't consider consequences of their actions and live strictly in the present and very me-centered moment. Anyone who has raised a teenager can affirm the veracity of this.

Teenagers also have a real problem hanging onto important stuff. Like cell phones. And keys. The Child is forever misplacing her house key. This morning I told her I'd give her a ride to the bus stop (that was my first mistake). She came out and asked if she could borrow my house key. "Did you lose it?" I naturally asked. "No!" she emphatically exclaimed. "It's just in some pants or something". Right. "Can I borrow yours?" Only one cup of coffee into the morning I agreed, with a stern "Don't lose it!"

You've had enough coffee by now so I presume you can figure out where this is going. I returned from dropping her off, only to have to race back down to the bus stop, fervently praying that the bus hadn't come yet. I retrieved the key, so I could get into the house, and now either have to find hers or get one made and put it in a secret location so she can get her sorry arse into the house later today. Sheesh.

Item to add to the Bill Invoice o' Child Raising: $412 for assorted house keys.

Labels:

8 Comments:

Blogger Anne opined...

I hear you.

We have a keypad garage door remote so The Girl can punch in the code and get inside. If, by chance, the door between the house and the garage gets locked, there is a key hidden in the garage.

Oh, and the "laundry lady" gets to keep all money found in the washer or dryer. Makes The Girl clean out her pockets a bit better.

April 12, 2010 8:03 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous opined...

I'm laughing at you, yet knowing full well that this is totally something I would do.

April 12, 2010 8:43 AM  
Blogger Doralong opined...

And a fake rock for stashing the spare, that's gotta be worth 25 bucks plus gas.

April 12, 2010 1:14 PM  
Blogger Sling opined...

Teach her how to pick a lock!..That's what my mom did.

April 12, 2010 6:22 PM  
Blogger Miss Healthypants opined...

*hee hee* Poor Rainey.

I am a bit worried about what our future teenage son or daughter (if we should be so "lucky") will be like--I'm always losing things as it is. Hopefully our future child (God willing) will take on Iwanski's carefulness/not losing things trait. :)

April 12, 2010 6:22 PM  
Blogger Mom opined...

A hidden key is a good idea, except when it needs to used it will the be lost. a large supply of keys is a good investment. it would be nice to think that loosing things is something we outgrow. I have not found this to be the case.

April 13, 2010 8:51 AM  
Blogger Bad Alice opined...

I don't usually lose keys - it's just so often they are inside when I am on the other side of the locked door.

April 14, 2010 10:34 AM  
Blogger Barb opined...

We do they keypad/garage/hidden key thing but now I won't tell my son where the key is hidden cause he will get it with all his friends standing there so half the neighborhood knew where the spare key was! Now he can call me from his cell if he gets stuck!

Lorraine ~ were you still interested in the "paris" wallet. I have one listed www.tinkquilts.etsy.com

April 16, 2010 2:25 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home