Saturday, April 03, 2010

Eggs and Alleluias

Soon, very soon, I will grab the alb I purchased last year (so as to never, ever, ever again in my life have to enter into the malstrom that is the sacristy before a big liturgy) and prepare to assist at and participate in the Easter Vigil.

I love the Easter Vigil. Some people hate it because it is the longest liturgy of the year. It begins when the sun goes down...with the lighting of the sacred fire...and ends when it ends. Average? 3.5 hours. But it's gone longer...depends on how many people are being baptised.

But part of what I love about it is that it is so essentially Easter and Christian. Easter Sunday is swell but church always feels a little off. It's crowded and crazy and full of C&E Christians. And I don't begrudge them because I used to be one. But I can be far more prayerful at the Easter Vigil and, as an added bonus, then I have all Easter Sunday to prepare dinner and nap and what-have-you.

This Easter Sunday will be very special because Suzanne asked if we'd take god-daughter Kiki for the day. Suzanne is still recovering from multiple surgeries and other nonsense related to her cancer (which, btw, sucks) and, as she put it, "I want her to have a fun day but I'm just not up to making it happen". Well, that's what god-moms are for, say I. So there will be an Easter egg hunt and egg dying and lots of other general spoiling. The Child is very excited (because we weren't going to have an egg hunt this year and even though she was 16 she was disappointed so, yay, she still gets one). She is very sensible of her role as "big sister" in the Kikster's life. And I just realized that now that Kiki is in our life, Easter egg hunts will, in fact, continue in our home for the foreseeable future. So there you go.

Anybunny, here is wishing all my Blogtopian friends a very blessed Easter (if you swing that way) and a very nice Sunday to those who don't.

Labels: , ,

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous opined...

Happy Easter back at ya.

Peace, Love, Harmony and beautiful thoughts to you and all of yourn.

Peace

:+}

April 03, 2010 9:53 PM  
Blogger Sling opined...

He is risen!..You kids have a wonderful time on this beautiful day!

April 04, 2010 12:10 PM  
Blogger Mom opined...

I too love a more quiet time to pray and think on Jesus. Alleluia!
This was our first Easter to not have an egg hunt. The kids all said they didn't want one. I hate it when the children outgrow fun things that I love.

April 05, 2010 7:06 AM  
Blogger Ruth Fraser Davis opined...

I'm so glad you were able to have a meaningful day of, yes, dare I say it - ministry? Even egg hunts for wee girlies are a trust as well as a treasure.

Blessings on all your heads!

April 05, 2010 5:45 PM  
Blogger Miss Healthypants opined...

Rainey, I hope you had a wonderful Easter! :)

P.S. I always kinda liked the Easter Vigil mass, too. :)

April 05, 2010 8:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home