Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Caroline Laughs and It's Raining All Day, She Loves to Be One of the Girls

I have begun planning The Child's Sweet 16 party. (Yes, I'll give you a minute to digest that. She was 11 when I started this blog).

She wanted "Pretty in Pink" as the theme. So the invitations were pink and the cake is going to be pink (with chocolate brown polka dots) and she wants pink balloons and pink streamers and pink food. (There'll be ham and maybe some pink punch but I'm not going to do anything crazy, like dye the deviled eggs. I have my limits). Some of the guests are, I know, wearing pink to the fete and so will the fetee. (She doesn't know that yet...I'm taking her shopping this weekend. Shhhh. It's a surprise).

At the moment I am not capable of making deep observations about this milestone. Frankly, I still haven't quite wrapped my head around it. Or my heart. Or maybe my failure to wrap my mind around it is a mechanism for protecting my heart. I can tell you that lately I have been noticing mommies with little tow headed toddler babies and something tugs inside. Because the truest words that were ever spoken is that it goes fast. It goes really, really fast.

Labels:

7 Comments:

Blogger Molly Alyssum opined...

Lorelie: "And then they all started screaming, "Take the Deviled Eggs!!!"

It will be a delicious party!!

January 20, 2010 11:52 PM  
Blogger Anne opined...

(.)

January 21, 2010 10:01 AM  
Blogger rosemary opined...

Yup....like 150 MPH down the autostrada. I find my self looking at baby clothes and realizing the chances of having another grandchild has passed and that great grandchildren are next. I'm already Gigi so I'm ready I guess. Pretty in Pink will be perfect.

January 21, 2010 10:28 AM  
Blogger Bad Alice opined...

And I haven't been able to get that song out of my head since I read your post this morning.

Wow, 16. My God, have we been blogging for 5 years? In my mind's eye I've been seeing The Child as a perpetual 11 year old. That means my kids were 3 and 5 when I started. Holy crap.

January 21, 2010 11:01 AM  
Blogger happileah opined...

16,eh? WOW! The child is going to be the adult soon...Pretty in Pink sounds like it will be a great party.

My baby is entering pre-k in September & I know exactly what those tugs feel like.

January 21, 2010 2:49 PM  
Blogger Br. Jonathan opined...

Before you know it, her and Emmitt's kids will be calling you, complaining how SHE's the Worst Mother in the World.

January 21, 2010 3:02 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous opined...

When someone born in the mid-90's chooses "Pretty In Pink" as her sweet 16 theme, you know you've done your job well.

January 21, 2010 3:58 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home