Tuesday, June 30, 2009

And You Thought Never Sleeping Because Your Newborn Cried All the Time was Hard. Pft.

On Friday afternoon The Child got a letter. It was a horrible letter. It basically said that due to her grades and her many discipline referrals she was on the short list of students under consideration to NOT come back to High School.

WHAT?

OK, we knew her grades weren't the best and summer school was a sure thing but how the H does a kid have multiple discipline referrals and this is the first the parents are hearing of it? The Spouse thought it had to be a mistake and intellectually I did, too, but holy hell! The Child was completely beside herself. (Which was the only good thing because it demonstrated how much she loves being at High School. The thought of not going back devastated her). And of course, since the letter came on Friday afternoon there was nothing we could do but stew about it for 2 days. Which I did. I was a nice juicy pot of mom stew by Monday morning. My heart was so heavy and my brain so buzzy I couldn't think to blog about it yesterday.

I called the school and the principal was in a meeting so I left a voice mail that I hoped didn't sound as freaked out as I felt. Then he didn't call back and I couldn't think straight. Plus, the VA has upgraded to Office 2007 and so my computer was buggy as a summer night in the back garden. (Show of hands: how much are we all hating Office 2007? That's what I thought). So I went shopping. Because I get to shop for work and yesterday was a good day for shopping.

I got back to the office and the phone rang and it was the principal, whose first words were, "I'm so sorry; that letter was a mistake". Thanks be to God. I mean, I knew it had to be but those words were some of the sweetest I've ever heard. We talked about the academic plan for The Child and then he emphasized that she is NOT a discipline problem, on the contrary she is a delightful kid. Then he apologized again very profusely.

I've already had friends who've expressed displeasure that such a mistake could be made. "You'd expect that from a public school," they say, "but not a private one where you're paying tons of money for the privilege of being there". Yeah, maybe. Except even people in private schools make mistakes. Tuition is supposed to guarantee a certain quality of education, not that nothing will ever go wrong with a computer. So I hold no grudges. Stuff happens, they made it right and it's all good. And frankly, it provided the sort of wake up call to The Child that no amount of haranguing from her parents could. Grades do matter. Now that she's had a taste of what it would look like if she doesn't shape up, she's determined to do her best next year. Sometimes you have to learn things like that the hard way. She's very sure she never wants to be in a situation where a letter like that could be the real thing.

Cocktails anyone?

Labels: ,

14 Comments:

Anonymous Dame Judi opined...

Whew! Granted we knew The Child was sterling, but still..lovely words to hear after the trauma.

June 30, 2009 8:52 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous opined...

You're being far too easy on the school. I'm thinking free tuition until she graduates.

They want to teach kids to be accountable for their mistakes, right?

June 30, 2009 9:04 AM  
Blogger Sling opined...

DISCIPLINE PROBLEM??..Why,I'll come up there and show 'em what a real discipline problem looks like!!
..oh.
Well,I suppose mistakes happen..bastids.
You know,you make an excellent point about the wake-up call thing.
It just may have been a blessing in disguise.

June 30, 2009 9:22 AM  
Blogger Br. Jonathan opined...

"I was a nice juicy pot of mom stew by Monday morning."

That is one of THE most clever, most descriptive lines I've heard in a long time.

I'm so glad everything worked out.

June 30, 2009 10:26 AM  
Blogger rosemary opined...

WHEW.....ummm, that was a big problem in my mind...but I am old and awfully grouchy.

June 30, 2009 10:26 AM  
Blogger sageweb opined...

I think that letter was meant for me.

June 30, 2009 11:49 AM  
Anonymous Syd opined...

While I'm sorry you spent the weekend becoming Mom stew, it does seem this mistake had a positive effect on The Child's attitude as well...in which case, maybe the stewing was worth it.

Still glad it was a mistake, though. :)

June 30, 2009 3:46 PM  
Blogger Miss Healthypants opined...

I also LOVE the line "I was a nice juicy pot of mom stew by Monday morning." :)

And I'm sending you a virtual bottle of wine right now...drink up, and celebrate the fact that you have a wonderful daughter! :)

June 30, 2009 5:52 PM  
Blogger Bad Alice opined...

You exhibited grace under pressure. But they should at least give you a free bumper sticker or something.

June 30, 2009 7:37 PM  
Blogger Blogger opined...

Okay, so, in reality, you paid the school to send the 'erroneous' letter, right?

... and don't hate me, but I quite like Office 2007.

(Glad it all worked out in the end.)

July 01, 2009 3:19 AM  
Blogger Anne opined...

Is office '07 that nasty package that puts odd extensions on attachments so you can't open them with 'normal' software?

The Girl applied to First Choice High and Second Choice High and didn't get in to either because of grades and she is still didn't get the message. You'd think it'd start to kick in a bit, all her friends are going off to FCH and SCH without her and she is going to regular ol' public school, not even honors classes, because of grades.
sheesh.

July 01, 2009 6:57 AM  
Blogger Doralong opined...

Sorry Cuz- you're in the really sucky years now, While nerve wracking, some times I think the universe sends us just what we need. That note combined with summer school may well be the motivation she needed in the long run.

Call me when you start college tours- this has not been amusing in any way, I can assure you... Dorm rooms aren't looking so attractive to herself for some odd reason.

July 01, 2009 4:49 PM  
Blogger booda baby opined...

Oh yes, please. Cocktails.

I'm glad they just made a mistake, blah blah blah, but grades seem so ... (I can't believe I'm going to say this) ... arbitrary. Sometimes, disciplinary problems, too.

I was a disciplinary problem. Which means nothing at all. Just wanted to say it.

That makes me sad that discipline problems are now a bad thing. hahaha.

July 01, 2009 5:56 PM  
Blogger Dana opined...

On behalf of expensive private school administration everywhere,

I'm sorry.

and

Thank you.

We're human. Computers are not. We don't always speak the same language.

(and hey, I've been away for a while, and durn, if I didn't miss your writing!)

July 14, 2009 4:45 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home