Thursday, June 25, 2009

I Had No Intention

Truly.

Too easy. Too "every one will be doing it". Actually, precisely the same reason I haven't posted anything about the Monday revelations on "Jon and Kate Plus Eight". And I had thoughts. Believe me. I had 'em.

But then this thing happened.

First, I was starting dinner and The Child was listening to her music and I had to remark to her, "Dude, I gotta tell you, it makes me really happy that you have 'The Clash' on your play list".

To which she smirked. (Singing along to "Koka Kola", which, if you know the London Calling album is just way cool because it isn't even remotely a "known" Clash song. Except, you know, for people who like the Clash).

Then all a sudden she exclaims, "Michael Jackson died!?!" to which I replied, "Yeah".

And she was all freaked out and I was all, "Dude, I didn't know you even knew who Michael Jackson was" and she gave me that look; a look with which I am all too familiar; the look that said, "O. M. G. Muuu-ther...you are SOOOOOO dense".

Then she proceeded to play me her two favorite Micheal Jackson songs. Which were classics.

Then I remembered a story which I've maybe shared with you before but it bears repeating. Way back in the day I had a friend who was hanging out with some communists. It was an intellectual flirtation for her, yet another move on her rebellion against her tightly wound, highly evangelical mid-west upbringing. I went to one meeting with her and was bored out of my mind. It wasn't the content nearly so much as the fact that everyone seemed just about as dour and humorless as people can be. Well, that and the fact that the guy who ran things was pretty much a "communist youth leader" right out of central casting. But Marcia persisted with the group for a while.

One weekend she invited me to a potluck at the house some of the group shared. (Of course they did). I was none too keen but she really wanted to go so she begged. I went but only after making her promise that we'd make an appearance but as soon as I wanted to leave we'd go to a club or something and, you know, have some fun. (I figured that would take 2 seconds. A potluck full of politically correct "food" and somber commies just didn't sound like a laugh riot of a Saturday night, you know?)

We get to the house and the place is full of communists, talking earnestly about Marx and Engels. It didn't feel at all like one of those riotous scenes in "Reds", with all these brilliant people smoking and joking and simultaneously carrying on 15 different and deep conversations. But despite the inordinate amount of tofu and sprout casseroles on the table, there was some decent grub and, thankfully, alcohol. (You really need to drink if you're hanging out with communists). I was just fixin' on telling Marcia that time was up when someone put on a record. "Thriller" to be exact.

Now, the mere fact that anyone in that house owned "Thriller" was amazing enough. But what happened next was even more amazing. People started to dance. Wildly, exuberantly and with huge smiles on their faces. This was the first time I'd even seen the teeth of some of those people. The record kept playing, everyone kept dancing and it was a blast. Emma Goldman would have been proud*.

To this day I think of that night when I hear a song from "Thriller". It wasn't just an important album for Michael's career, it was an important album to a lot of very diverse groups of people. And I suppose, and this is as retrospective-y as I'm going to get, it was part of the genius of Michael Jackson. He didn't just crossover, he took everyone with him. It's sad that his bizarre and likely sick life is what overtook the press in recent years. It made it too easy to forget that Michael Jackson was a very talented man; musically brilliant, in fact. But the remembrance of that fact sure seems to be what's resonating with people today.

You're finally at peace, Michael. Thanks for the memories.


Michael Jackson "Billie Jean"


She once famously said, "If I can't dance I don't want to be part of your revolution".

Labels:

9 Comments:

Blogger sageweb opined...

Farrah died.
Very cool commie story.

If You see JP tell him I read his Blob but it wont let me comment. My work blocks out his commenting thing..

June 26, 2009 8:24 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous opined...

I'm kind of intrigued to hear your Jon & Kate analysis. Maybe you could call me.

Didn't think he was the genius that everyone keeps saying he was, but this is one of his songs that holds up.

If you see Sage tell her I waited at my blob all morning for her but she never showed up.

June 26, 2009 8:38 AM  
Blogger Bad Alice opined...

That's a great story. Went to a couple anarchists meetings and they were just as dull and dour, which seems so wrong.

June 26, 2009 8:41 AM  
Blogger Eric opined...

I think that is because Reds had not yet come out so noone knew how real comunists behaved

June 26, 2009 9:13 AM  
Blogger rosemary opined...

Commies, MJ, FF, eights.....all sad stories. Has any family that has had a reality show ever survived? Even this old lady liked a few of MJ songs...none that were wildly popular, but I liked them. I do think his plastic surgeon and personal medicine giving physician should be drawn & quartered

June 26, 2009 10:10 AM  
Blogger Eric opined...

Actually oddly enought I just saw on CNN where the cops are looking for his missing Doctor and they impounded the Dr's car

June 26, 2009 11:14 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous opined...

Ba Ha Ha Ha

Just watched "Black or White" on you tube.

Highly recommended. Ya, genius and insanity, oh well.

Thanks Michael.

Peace

:+}

June 26, 2009 2:48 PM  
Blogger Anne opined...

Goodbye Ed.
Goodbye Farrah.
Goodbye Michael.
Rest in peace.
We will miss you.

June 26, 2009 7:03 PM  
Blogger Miss Healthypants opined...

He will certainly be missed...

June 28, 2009 10:58 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home