Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Erin Go Get My Bra

Yesterday was a day. One of those days when even before it starts to go off the rails you look at your boss and she looks at you and she says, "Something is weird today". And it was. Even though stressful and weird for us still doesn't rival what it has looked like in other incarnations of my life. But still. By the time I got home I was in the mood for a cocktail and maybe some zombie slayin'.

The Spouse, who has started dinner, asked me how my day had been. "Oh, it's been such a day," I said, with inflection in all the right places so he knew that it had not been the greatest of days. "Well, let me pour you a glass of wine and you can tell me all about it".

Then we sat in the living room and he let me vent. And not in the way he usually does where he's nodding like he's interested until I realize he's urging me to fast forward so he can get on to something else (and I do tend to get into a thicket when telling a tale). But this time he was just letting me talk, thicket and all, and was responding appropriately at the appropriate places (proving he really was listening) and then, THEN, when I was all unvented and there was still wine in the glass he asked my opinion of a new television show we started watching ("Kings") and we had this very grown-up conversation about character arcs and story story structure and the Old Testament and the character of King David (both the Bible one and the one in the show).

Then we finished making dinner together, sat down with The Child to a pleasant meal, watch our Monday shows and then, after finishing the Vogue article about Michelle Obama, I slept the sleep of the unvented. (At least, I did until I woke up in the middle of the night and started thinking about all the things I have to do at work and home before I leave for Omaha and then, not so much on the sleeping but still).

Now I'm going to put some corned beef and beer in the crockpot and wait on the day. And think about what to pack for my trip.

May the luck o' the Irish be with you today.

Labels: , ,

10 Comments:

Blogger Anne opined...

Who is Erin and why does she have your bra? Does she have anything to do with last week's evil genius/minion thing?

March 17, 2009 6:54 AM  
Blogger sageweb opined...

You have a great husband..having someone to cook dinner and listen to you vent is priceless.

March 17, 2009 7:30 AM  
Blogger Lorraine opined...

Erin's not an evil genius or a minion, Anne, but she has a thing about lingerie.

True that, Sage. I'm a blessed woman.

March 17, 2009 7:45 AM  
Blogger rosemary opined...

Focus on the trip, focus on the trip, focus on the trip and then click your heels together.

March 17, 2009 8:35 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous opined...

Yes, you will need to bring your bra. I don't have any of those.

March 17, 2009 10:59 AM  
Blogger Bad Alice opined...

I await a full review of Kings so I'll know whether or not to add it to the already long list of stuff I watch.

March 17, 2009 11:47 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous opined...

Ba Ha Ha Ha

Happy St. Patties to ya 'n yourn!!!

Oh, who was (is) the evil genius and minnion? Madoff and wife? Madoff the minion?

Peace

:+}

March 17, 2009 12:23 PM  
Blogger Sling opined...

HAPPY ST.PADDY'S DAY RAINEY!
May you be in Heaven a half hour before the Devil steals your bra.

March 17, 2009 2:31 PM  
Blogger Mom opined...

Give the spouse a big shamrock award for his good listening skills.

March 17, 2009 4:50 PM  
Blogger Miss Healthypants opined...

There is just nothing like a husband who really listens, is there? :)

How wonderful...you can tell the spouse that he's won many "husband points" today. (That's something I say to Iwanski once-in-a-while. *smiles*)

Happy St. Patty's Day!! :)

March 17, 2009 7:05 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home