Monday, November 17, 2008

Tagged

Lorene is my oldest friend in the world. She's actually younger than me; what I mean to say is that while I am pretty good at keeping friends, no one has as much tenure as she does. We met in college. That was a while ago. Our history would make a very compelling tale, I think. Anyway, she has a new blog and has, like all bloggers, heard the siren call of "tagging".

The task? Open the book nearest your computer (no fair hunting for something that sounds intellectual and impressive) to page 56. Post the 5th sentence (plus one or two thereafter for context).

"First there is a lot of politics surrounding the guest list; people do tend to get offended if they consider themselves a close friend and aren't invited. The is fact that you don't always want the same people sitting around the table, which is important to remember when you find you haven't been invited somewhere that you think you ought have. So how to get around this tricky situation? Never apologize and never explain - it is as simple as that."

This comes from Domestic Bliss by Rita Konig...one of those books I read every year pretty much like clockwork. Konig takes a much more laisse faire attitude toward all things domestic than does, say, Martha Stewart, and is very irreverent and funny in the process. At the heart of her book is finding lots of little ways to make your home life more blissful, from advice on how to deal with contractors (bring them beer on Friday) to decorating a bedside table for a weekend guest to the perfect remedy for "Fat Saturday" (when you don't fit into anything, have no money and nothing to do). It's a fluffy read and yet I always take away the renewed inspiration that the little things matter.

Now let's see what Sageweb, Leah, Willym, Kimberly Ann and Miss Healthypants are reading.

Labels:

9 Comments:

Blogger sageweb opined...

All the books next to me at work are proprietary and about airplanes...But when I get home I will try again..I am actually reading Amy Sedaris' book..I Like You.

November 17, 2008 9:30 AM  
Blogger Willym opined...

This is too funny the book closest to hand is Gielgud's Letters - the collected letters of the great English actor and pages 55-56 are chapter seperaters. 55 says simply THE WAR YEARS and 56 is blank. LOL... but this is another book to hand and I'll post it later today or early tomorrow.

November 17, 2008 10:41 AM  
Blogger Anne opined...

I supposed Rita's quote is your answer to why the rest of us weren't invited to be tagged?

November 17, 2008 10:45 AM  
Blogger Sling opined...

See..I didn't know this.
I always send people notes detailing exactly why they aren't invited.

November 17, 2008 11:05 AM  
Blogger Anne opined...

Sling, if that's true, then I think I'm missing a few invites from you, because I've gotten nothing saying anything to the contrary.

November 17, 2008 11:38 AM  
Blogger Lorraine opined...

Sage, bet that will give you some excellent fodder. Love that Sedaris fam.

That IS funny, Wills.

Anne, uh, yeah, that's it...

And that Sling, explains a lot.

Oh, Anne, you are too funny.

November 17, 2008 10:45 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous opined...

OK, OK, old as dirt...I get it! But what fun we had - back when dinosaurs roamed the (flat) earth.
all love, Lorene

November 18, 2008 9:25 AM  
Blogger Jason Boskey opined...

Isn't that the way the current president governs?

November 19, 2008 8:28 AM  
Blogger Leah opined...

Domestic Bliss? sounds like one of those books that would make me feel totally inadequate ;)

I checked my book-it's kinda funny. I'll post it next week.

November 19, 2008 8:27 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home