Thursday, November 06, 2008

I'm Psychic

Four years ago I wasn't a happy camper. None of this frothing with joy like an uncorked champagne bottle, no pride at the thought that America was once again a land of promise, no hope over the prospects for the future. Four years ago I was distraught, as were many of my friends. I kept fielding calls and emails from friends who were as depressed as I, who were wondering "what now?" I sent them this email:

A friend just asked if I had any words of encouragement for the posse. Nope. I am sick in my gut, sick in my soul and I'm crying like a baby. I'm sitting here wondering what else I could have done, wondering what is wrong with 52% of this nation. (And let's just keep that number in mind, shall we. No matter what we'll be hearing, that is not a mandate. 48% of us obviously still have functioning brains). Kids, all I can say is that I'm going to sit around today being sad and depressed. I'll probably listen to some Springsteen records and weep. But tomorrow I'm going to pull my head out of my fancy gas oven and get back to work turning up the volume on the progressive voice in this nation. We've been way too passive for way to long and this is the result. We've got four (hard, long) years to get our shit together so let's do it. We can't spend too much time wringing our hands and being babies. We have to work. Or else learn to appreciate hockey and buy a farm in Canada. It's an option, eh?

I would like to point out two bright spots in this otherwise gloomy day. (The sun is shining. The nerve.) Hang on to this: Barack Obama (woof). And Martin Sheen is still in the West Wing.

Maybe I'd better listen to the soundtrack from "Annie" as well. "Tomorrow, tomorrow".

Peace out,

Your depressed little pundit,

L

Well, Martin Sheen is no longer in the White House but Barack Obama soon will be, for real. How did I know, you ask? I just did. When I heard him address the Democratic convention in '04 I heard a voice. It told me that I was watching the future President of the United States. I've only heard that voice one other time, the time it told me I was talking to the man I would marry. I guess it's a voice that only troubles itself for the really big stuff. But I knew. Frankly, I didn't know it would be this soon. I think I thought it would be down the road, after he'd spent a little more time in the Senate. But do I care?

Barack Obama is the President-elect of the United States of frakking America and I'll tell you, I for one have not yet come down from that high.

Labels: ,

11 Comments:

Blogger sageweb opined...

You are getting married to Barack Obama??

I am still happy..it is so unreal. I still can't seem to believe america is smart now.

November 06, 2008 9:01 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous opined...

Ba Ha Ha Ha (Note no w)

Yay!!! Ah yes, the small still voice. You must have done something right. The touch of innocense, the gift of tears, the compassionate glance, the ring of truth, the voice of power, the eye of defense.

Peace

:+}

November 06, 2008 9:27 AM  
Blogger rosemary opined...

I'm coming down from the tree top. I just checked our retirement balance and heard GWB talk. You'd think he'd move out early and just say take the place, it's too big for my ego. No, there are still days to be marked off on my calender....but it just has to get better....we are in hell at the moment aren't we?

November 06, 2008 9:51 AM  
Blogger Anne opined...

cool.

November 06, 2008 10:34 AM  
Blogger LostInColor opined...

I wonder how long the repubs here at my work are going to whine about it... I'm already sick of them.

November 06, 2008 12:55 PM  
Blogger Sling opined...

It IS a high!
You got mad psychic skillz.

November 06, 2008 3:31 PM  
Blogger Unknown opined...

Hi Lorraine! People are giddy all over.

November 06, 2008 4:27 PM  
Blogger Molly Alyssum opined...

I am so happy.

November 06, 2008 11:06 PM  
Blogger Blogger opined...

That's pretty cool.

Oddly enough, I can remember the exact moment I heard his name mentioned for the first time.

It was almost two years ago, and I was at a pre-Christmas dinner with a friend and we were chatting with the other guests, as you do. One of the people there was a lady from North Carolina and as the conversation turned to politics, I asked her if she had any predictions about who the next president would be.

Her eyes lit up and she smiled. "Well, actually, there IS this one guy. Not many people have heard of him over here, but he's called Barack Obama and I've been keeping my eye on him for a while."

She then proceeded to give me a detailed summary of all his attributes, and for some reason, his name stuck in my mind.

I wonder if, two years ago, he himself seriously thought he would actually be in the position he's in now.

November 07, 2008 3:42 AM  
Blogger TWISI opined...

would you be interested in going out with me this weekend and talking to a few guys to see if you could find my husband?

November 07, 2008 6:49 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous opined...

Hi Lorraine!
Please spell my name right.

Love, Barack

November 08, 2008 9:47 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home