Friday, November 07, 2008

And Suddenly I'm Craving Mrs. Wagner's Pies


This is my all-time favoritest songs to harmonize with whenever I hear it or anyone plays it on the guitar which sometimes in my life people have done and then I've harmonized with them.

It also has some of the greatest lyrics ever.

Once upon a time I nannied for a great family and after spending the weekend with them on the Jersey shore I took a city bus into New York. I got the chance to count the cars on the New Jersey turnpike. That was cool.

I've always loved this song because it is a little sad and wistful, coming as it did out of another time in our history when there were a lot of questions and struggles and folks wondering who we were and what we stood for. But there's also hope and triumph in the music, if not the lyrics.

The crazy thing about America is that it is as much a notion as a place. Despite our myriad failures and mistakes over the last 200 plus years, America has been a symbol of intangibles like hope and freedom. We have lost our way in the last 8 years, big time. We lost America. But I caught a glimpse of the old girl on Tuesday. I saw her in the lines at the polls, the tear-streaked faces in Grant Park, the spontaneous street parties all over the country. I saw her in the faces of little black and white children standing on the stage after Barack's speech. I saw her in the shining eyes of Jane Austen...who had voted in her first Presidential election... and in the similarly shining eyes of The Child who knows she'll get to vote for Barack's re-election. They will only ever understand intellectually how truly monumental this election was; as opposed to myself who bawled like a baby for a good 10 minutes after the announcement. Sling summed up those tears later in the evening when he said, "Rainey, this hasn't been coming for 8 years...it's been coming for 40 frakking years".

America is a little worse for wear. She could probably use a makeover. But ding dong, I think we've found her again and we need to do everything we can to help her become beautiful again.



Simon and Garfunkle "America"

Labels:

14 Comments:

Blogger Anne opined...

Love this song......

November 07, 2008 7:15 AM  
Blogger Anne opined...

I think your count-down timer is off by 11 hours. Mr. O takes over at noon EST on the 20th, you've got him taking over at 11:00 pm.

November 07, 2008 7:22 AM  
Blogger Anne opined...

I mean 13 hours, yours ends at 11pm on the 19th.

November 07, 2008 7:26 AM  
Blogger Sling opined...

Your post,and the video made me cry.
You did that on purpose!
..Thank you.

November 07, 2008 8:29 AM  
Blogger sageweb opined...

Wonderful post. I am happy that we will soon be back on track to a great country.

November 07, 2008 8:57 AM  
Blogger Willym opined...

As I read your post I found myself tearing up... you do that to me sometimes you know? And for some reason the following words came to mind:

for this thy brother was dead, and is alive again; and was lost, and is found.

Not sure why and not all that sure it fits but....

November 07, 2008 9:25 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous opined...

Ba Ha Ha Ha (Note no w)

Simon and Garfunkel. I have bought that song ssssoooo many times. :+}

So which pundit is going to mention that there are no more Dixie-Crats first? When Clinton took over many of the "Democrats" were actually very repressive so when Newt yelled they just changed parties. Not this time!!!

Peace and Joy

:+}

November 07, 2008 11:27 AM  
Blogger LostInColor opined...

Great song, and awesome post!

November 07, 2008 3:58 PM  
Blogger Molly Alyssum opined...

funny. i played that song briefly after the announcment :)

November 07, 2008 7:55 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous opined...

You know. The majority of my state still voted for the other guys. From talking and listening to what people say I have come to understand that very few around here had anintelligent reason for doing so.

It reminds of Denny Crain`s sometimes warped reasoning on Boston Legal. (gonna miss that show)

Grish

November 07, 2008 8:26 PM  
Blogger Mom opined...

It is so good to feel happy and hopeful.

November 08, 2008 11:57 AM  
Blogger Caitlin opined...

This is so beside the point, but
I remember when you came here that
summer long ago.
We had lunch at a place that had
high basket chairs. I felt
very cosmopolitan with my older
cousin! Love the song, too.

November 08, 2008 12:20 PM  
Blogger Iwanski opined...

Simon & Garfunkel's America is one of the greatest songs of all-time. There is no question!

I'm still smiling from Tuesday, by the way.

November 09, 2008 3:07 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous opined...

you couldn't get more Jewish than Simon and Garfunkle and Mrs. Wagner's pies. A cancer causing song with cancer causing ingredients to its lyrics. They'll die from lung cancer and stomach cancer if not cancer of the lower intestines.

May 08, 2014 3:07 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home