Tuesday, November 18, 2008

Don't Even Bother. Today's Post is a Yawn.

November mornings in Seattle present in 1 of 2 ways: either it rains or it is biting cold and very foggy. Yesterday was foggy, today it's raining. Compared to wild fires, blizzards, and sub zero temps I suppose it's nothing to complain about.

After 3 months of being a working girl I'm finally getting a handle on managing what I must manage at home. Still don't have it down pat but I feel less and less like I'm waving my arms aimlessly. That's a good thing.

It's still pretty weird to me, though, that at work I can be so efficient and proactive and on top of everything and at home not so much. At work projects are never left to the last minute. Partly that's because most of what I do is so immediate. There is very little of a project nature to my job; there's a monthly report that takes me, like, 10 minutes because I built a spread sheet to provide all the statistics and I sometimes have writing projects (a new brochure, an article here and there and content for our superfantastic new website which is still being tweaked but of which I'm very proud) but mostly everything that needs to be done in a day gets done in a day. Every night I go home with my to do list crossed off, my desk tidy and generally speaking nothing hanging over my head.

There is slightly less satisfaction in that regard at home, but the house is generally cleaner, all the bills are getting paid and we're not eating take out every night (although I'm still getting dinner on the table later than desired a lot of the time). What I really haven't figured out is all the little errandy stuff...not just the things that require running around but things like coordinating with tour companies or filing police reports for stolen cell phones or emailing teachers. Seriously. When am I supposed to do that?

OK, this is really boring. In fact, I'm going to rewrite the title to spare you. What? You didn't listen? Whose fault is that? I warned you.

Hey! Barack Obama is still President-elect of the United States! (Man, that still gets me going every time)

Labels: ,

13 Comments:

Blogger Anne opined...

I keep tellin' ya, you gotta blog at work. You gotta run errands at lunch.

Don't let work get in the way too much.

not a boring post at all, by the way.

November 18, 2008 7:58 AM  
Blogger sageweb opined...

Ha Anne is right...blog at work and errands at lunch that is what I do..I did my grocery shopping yesterday at lunch.

November 18, 2008 9:03 AM  
Blogger Willym opined...

Well Her Majesty's government frowns on blogging at work but I have been know to and the lunch gambit for errands is the way to go. Of course it depends on what's in your area - we have several bakeries, butchers, sweet shops, supermarkets, dry cleaners etc all within walking distance. If we had to take a car well that would be another story.

November 18, 2008 9:12 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous opined...

Ba Ha Ha Ha (Note no w)

Grats to you and yours then!!! Am sure everyone there has stepped up a bit to make it all happen too.

Yes we can!!! The new family moto.

Peace

:+}

November 18, 2008 9:43 AM  
Blogger Doralong opined...

It's not easy, and it'll never be perfect. But you'll find the balance eventually.

November 18, 2008 12:01 PM  
Blogger LostInColor opined...

This was a great blog post. You aren't even close to boring. Errands during lunch helps out a bunch if you can do it. Finding balance is difficult but looks like you are getting there!

November 18, 2008 2:42 PM  
Blogger Sling opined...

I think all your fans would agree that this is a fine post Rainey!
I especially like the title,which made me want to read more..clever girl!
Barack will only be President-elect for 62 more days,and then we're scheduled to have a by-gawd renaissance!

November 18, 2008 2:46 PM  
Blogger Anne opined...

The big thing about errands at lunch is remembering you're entitled to a lunch, you can't feel like you're chained to your desk. You've got to get up!

November 18, 2008 2:59 PM  
Blogger The Girl from Lokhandwala opined...

Hi, a very tricky thing to manage both work and home the same way...doesnt even happen if you're freelancing. The website is simple and beautiful, the way it should be. A suggestion: to know there are links (the Star links) you need to scroll down. It may be missed by someone so maybe they should be placed above...just a thought..

November 18, 2008 7:10 PM  
Blogger Iwanski opined...

Well, despite your warning, I rather enjoyed this.

November 18, 2008 10:40 PM  
Blogger Br. Jonathan opined...

Your writing is never yawny.

How's the new kitty doing? You should post about the new kitty.

November 19, 2008 5:11 AM  
Blogger Lorraine opined...

You people are all very nice. Gluttons for punishment, but nice.

And I appreciate all the advice. It's the whole setting aside some time to actually make a call or send an email thing that's harder than it looks.

November 19, 2008 8:41 AM  
Blogger more cowbell opined...

It wasn't boring. Solidarity, sister.

November 23, 2008 12:51 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home