Wednesday, February 27, 2008

Things You're Not Supposed to Talk About in Polite Society

But when did that ever stop me?

Sex
The first part of the season finale for Project Runway airs tonight, where we learn which of the lovebirds, Chris or Rami, makes it to Fashion Week. Money on Rami.

Politics
I dreamt last night that I was stuck in Barack Obama's campaign website. I'd wandered into "Position Papers" and was trying to get to the home page but somehow kept getting into the "Vision" page instead. And when I say "stuck" you must understand that I didn't dream I was at my desk experiencing some sort of computer glitch. I mean that I was actually, literally in the website, wandering around towering pages of information like Alice after a particularly large and steaming dose of "Drink Me".

Überwonky? Moi?

Religion: But They Are All Scientologists
Why do you suppose it is that Kirstie Alley and Kelly Preston don't creep me out but John Travolta and Tom Cruise do? (Although John less so, for any number of reasons not the least of which are Vinnie Barbarino, Danny Zuko and Edna Turnblad).

Money
I'm still working with my "big" client. It's kicking my arse. I'm enjoying it, but man oh man oh man...

I have learned a few really important things about my abilities but premiere among them is that I am unique. My client was telling me the other day that she's worked with other organizers before, without success. I suggested that owed to them coming in with a system and trying to implement it on her behalf. She agreed. Where I'm different is that, while I have some definite priniciples which inform my approach, I don't impose anything on the client. Rather, I tailor what I know to fit his/her circumstance, learning style and general way of doing things. In this case, for example, it's all about making things as straightforward and simple as possible. I have no ego around what the client needs to do, it's all about finding something that will work for that particular person.

Isn't that just swell of me?

Music (Which is Considered a Perfectly Acceptable Topic of Polite Conversation, Although I Have Known Any Number of People to Get Quite Heated About It)

I have not been able to get this song off my mind so I'm going to stop trying:

"Falling Slowly" Glen Hansard & Marketa Irglova

Labels: , ,

18 Comments:

Blogger Kimberly Ann opined...

There is no one freakier than Tom Cruise in the Scientology crowd. I could watch that training video he did all day - wowza.

I'm so playing Freud right now with that dream of yours. Hmmm, wonder what it meant....

Oh, did you get my email about my small office design?

February 27, 2008 9:00 AM  
Blogger Lorraine opined...

Oh good,KA, it's not just me.

And I know, right?

Yes I did, thank you very much, and I sent a reply this a.m.

February 27, 2008 9:15 AM  
Blogger sageweb opined...

Now I have that song in my head...why did I push the button?

I want Chris over Drapes!

If you really want to be creeped out about religion..go have coffee with my Mom. You will think Tom and buddies are angels.

Off to re-listen to the song..for further stuckage.

February 27, 2008 9:27 AM  
Blogger Lorraine opined...

Sageweb, I want Chris, too, I just don't think it's going to happen. I would love to be wrong about that.

I think I'll pass on the get-together with your Mom, if it's all the same to you. But thanks for the offer. Pie?

February 27, 2008 9:29 AM  
Blogger danny/ink2metal opined...

oooo, i have a secret about who showed for fashion week, but i can't just blurt it out in polite conversation amongst polite society.

and i wouldn't tell everyone that i still have a crush on tom cruise because i fell in love with him when i was but a giddy young gay. because that would be awkward information to divulge, n'est-ce pas?

oh and i'm glad you don't have one of those enchanted songs playing at full blast in your mind. now, ~that~ would be impolite.

February 27, 2008 9:38 AM  
Blogger Anne opined...

I'm hoping for a last-minute "ok, you both get to go" and I think i'm rooting for the merlin boy, fierce crabcakes anyone?
yes, they are creepy.
yes, that's swell of you. I'm still waiting for you to come east so you can organize my life.

February 27, 2008 9:45 AM  
Blogger Anne opined...

did someone say pie?

February 27, 2008 9:46 AM  
Blogger Blogger opined...

Yeah, Tom Cruise freaks me out too, but I tend to keep that to myself, because if ever I begin to make derogatory comments about him in my household, everyone is quick to silence me with razor-sharp volleys of the word 'Kabbalah'.

February 27, 2008 11:31 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous opined...

I was so happy they won the Oscar. I really wanted them to. I lurve that song. Have yet to see "Once" though. Now if you'll pardon me, I must away to talk about sex with Tom Cruise. (ewwww)

February 27, 2008 1:17 PM  
Blogger Emma opined...

My dearest Aunt,
You must see Once as soon as possible. I adore the film and have the entire soundtrack. "Falling Slowly" was fantastic at the Oscars, but in the film, it is completely breathtaking!!! I will use my mind to urge on your Netflicks. Love you.

February 27, 2008 2:34 PM  
Blogger TWISI opined...

Rami will make it to Bryant Park.

You know what is really freaking me out about John Travolta.... his hair! When did he turn into a chia pet?

February 27, 2008 2:44 PM  
Blogger booda baby opined...

It's a good thing that this society is not polite, then, isn't it?

'Once' MUST be seen at least once and better if more than a few times.

'Snow Cake' too.

And I think you also MUST see 'Special Thanks to Roy London.' I'm not kidding.

February 27, 2008 2:48 PM  
Blogger Iwanski opined...

Tom Cruise is outside my front door, pounding on the door and screaming my name.
What should I do?!?!?

February 27, 2008 4:39 PM  
Blogger Sling opined...

I have heard of this'polite society' phenomenon,but figured it was just a passing fad.
That's the song that won the Acadamy Award?..This is the first time I've heard it.
Thanks for sharing it. :)

February 27, 2008 4:39 PM  
Blogger Lorraine opined...

You just keep it to yourself, Danny. I don't like those sorts of surprises. Here. Stuff your face with some of this luscious pie. Whipped cream with that?

Anne, I would love to come east and organize your life. Once I hit the big time with that appearance on Oprah, I'll come right over. With pie. And two forks.

DA, I hate when that happens.

Eeeeewie eeeewwww, Hat.

My dearest Emma, I have vaulted it to the top of my Netflix list. Perhaps you should come over next week and watch it with me.

Twisi, not to mention the chubby cheeks. Golly moses, I was looking at some early photos of him today and forgot what a chiselled face he used to have. 'Course, folks could say the same of me.

Booda, it's one of my favorite things about this society. I put Once on the list, as I told Em, AND added Snow Cake only because you said so (and Alan Rickman is in it...hello?) but I couldn't find the Roy London thing of which you spoke.

Iwanski, tell him that you are auditing your preclear and can't be disturbed. If that doesn't work, tell him you are suffering from postpartum depression and have to get your prescription for antidepressants filled. When he starts foaming at the mouth, make a run for it.

Sling, it's not the sort of soaring number we tend to be used to in that category ("My Heart Will Go On" anyone?) but it sure is a sweet little ditty, no?

February 27, 2008 5:04 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous opined...

I could spout numerous theories re: the reasons "polite society" is just another way of saying "people who don't want to hear anything that might uspet their carefully manicured prejudices"...but I won't.

What I will say is, I was in Reno a week and a half ago to see some of my musician friends play a show together--all singer/songwriters; one gal, three guys; one plays solo bass, three play guitar (although the gal, who plays guitar, also plays piano, we were all pleasantly surprised to discover at this show)--and for one of their two closing songs, the did "Falling Slowly". Simply lovely.

The other was "You Can Call Me Al". Fun stuff.

February 27, 2008 7:49 PM  
Blogger Willym opined...

Actually I have a theory that Kirstie Alley is actually one of those alien types that L. Ron talks about - and what the hell ever happened to Vinnie Barbarino? With Tom its those lifeless eyes.

I hadn't heard Falling Slowly - its a beautiful piece of music. Thanks for posting it.

Now about that dream - it could have been worse it could have been Hilary's website!!!!

February 28, 2008 8:18 AM  
Blogger Leah opined...

Maybe it's because Tom Cruise has possibly the most terrifying laugh in the world-especially when he's discussing his religion? Just a thought, because that is exactly what creeps me out about him.

February 29, 2008 6:38 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home