Tuesday, February 26, 2008

I'm 2 Days Late and The Spouse is $5 Bucks Short

An anonymous reader (who I totally know) expressed surprise at my failure to do an Oscar recap. I didn't really feel compelled, what with my having so little to say about any of the films in the first place, but rule one is to give the people what they want. So let's see.

Jon Stewart is brilliant. I puffy ♥ him. I think he is the perfect Oscar host precisely because he is outside of the Hollywood movie making thing. Gives him the ability to amusingly deflate the ego-infested vibe of the Oscars, while still being too charming for anyone to care much.

The most interesting thing of the night was probably the fact that the top 4 acting awards all went to people who aren't Americans. That's kinda cool. And I have properly updated my Netflix queue to include "La vie en rose", "Michael Clayton" and "Once". I am not going to see "No Country for Old Men" or "There Will Be Blood" because, frankly, I just don't handle violent and bleak very well. I'm sure they are splendid movies but I just can't do it.

Love those Coen brothers, though.

The biggest upset of the night had to be in the Best Original Song category. Truly, with 3 songs nominated from the same show ("Enchanted"), statistically it looked like long odds for the other 2 nominees. But that "Falling Slowly" tune from "Once", sung by those captivating kids Glen Hansard and Marketa Irglova? Ding dong. And how great was he when they accepted the Oscar? "Make art, make art!" Right on. Not to mention the triumph of a little indie film kicking the big guys. The charm of that win was a twofer. Hansard was charming but then Jon Stewart did one of the classiest things I've ever seen:




Just lovely.

And speaking not getting to say anything, I realize that the Oscars go long and they need to keep things moving but holy cats, does Bill Conti really have to swell the orchestra 5 seconds into every speech? Seriously, I figure this is a person's big night. Give 'em all the time they freaking want. The only good thing about the limit is that we didn't have to hear everyone thank their agents, lawyers and accountants because that crap is beyond boring. No one cares.

Tilda Swinton. Wow. What is the deal with her? She's amazing and I really like her but seriously, is she albino? And what in the world was she wearing? Was she officiating as high priestess at some Celtic ceremony after the show? Jessica Alba was the token hot girl who had to present at the annual "this stuff is way technical and we couldn't make movies without you but no way is it interesting enough for a slice of the 3 hours of prime time because you are all geeks" festival that was held before the big show.

Back to the music bit for a minute: Kristen Chenoweth is the most adorable of adorable creatures and I'm putting her in my pocket with Tim Gunn. Love. Her.

What else? Oh, Marion Cotillard, who won for her portrayal of Edith Piaf, was fantastic. Nothing I love more than seeing someone who is genuinely surprised and pleased to win the award. She was utterly charming. And the makeup people for "La vie en rose" won, which after you saw what they did to transform that beautiful girl into Edith Piaf was totally deserved. See?

The Child was miffed that once again the Harry Potter franchise was dissed in the nominations.

I saw Ellen Page with Baba Wawa after the show and she said that she didn't at all expect to win the Oscar and that, in fact, she shouldn't because she wasn't even in the same rank as those nominated. She is a charming, level headed young woman. I love seeing that.

It was a delight that "Juno" got Best Original Screenplay. Because it really was. And then I had to school The Spouse about Diablo Cody because he thought she was a stripper who made good and I informed him that her time in the skin trade was for a writing project.

What else? We ate fajitas. They were good.

Someone needs to hand Laura Linney an Oscar. Now. I haven't seen "Savages" yet, but I will. That woman is one of the most underappreciated actors in the business and someone needs to rectify that right now. Fine. I'll do it.Pretty much all the women were wearing either red or black. Nicole Kidman's head looked freakishly large.
Daniel Day Lewis is so totally on my List. Hubba hubba.
Out of 24 categories I picked 13 correctly. Not bad, considering my picks were based on a combination of chicken entrail readings and blind finger stabbing.

Labels:

14 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous opined...

Your Voodoo with doctor ways are titilating. Oh and Tilda Swinton is glorious and I genuinely dig her look. Because hello? Yeah.

February 26, 2008 11:06 AM  
Blogger kingba opined...

OK, Lorraine, I don't know you, you are a friend of a friend. BUT you know your stuff. Totally agree with you on NO to violent movies, and... I did not bet $ 5 (b/c I would have lost) ;))

February 26, 2008 12:04 PM  
Blogger sageweb opined...

I love the Tilda, she is sexy handsome. Maybe I like her cuz she is sorta butch. Oh and I am pretty sure she winked at me once.

Best Documentary short subject winner was Freeheld...I can't wait to see this. The trailer made me bawl.

February 26, 2008 12:11 PM  
Blogger danny/ink2metal opined...

jon stewart is beyond brilliant.
i would so put him in my pocket. well, if i did that kind of thing.

love the tilda. always have. ever since even before orlando.

hmm, mr. daniel day-lewis was channeling a little too much johnny depp. although i love them both. i like to love them separately.

marion cotillard made me tear up and screw anyone that didn't like her dress. she's a mermaid on a fantastical night out. ariel would approve and sebastian would so have sung a song in her honor.

oh, did i forget to thank anybody...um, damnit, the orchetsra is playing over the rest of my...

February 26, 2008 1:01 PM  
Blogger Unknown opined...

Bravo, Lorraine! I applaude you for your insightful and honest thoughts of the night's festivities.
I teared up just watching the clip of Jon giving time up for the young lady to be honored and it was so worth it to hear her speech.

I'll make sure and come around any time you don't write a post-Oscar night post again....

February 26, 2008 1:07 PM  
Blogger Lorraine opined...

Hello, Hat? Are you a secret hippy lover?

Kingba and YOU get the big props for calling the Marion C thing.

I'm pretty sure she winked at you, too, Sageweb. I picked "Freehold" to win. Which is amusing since I have no idea what it's about.

Danny, Daniel can channel anything he wants. He's groovy beyond telling.

Greeny, tee. Yeah, this is me not writing about the Oscars.

February 26, 2008 1:37 PM  
Blogger Elroy opined...

Random musings:

- I picked 14 correct winners! :p
- Stewart was great this time. Last time he really sucked (too stiff + too mean).
- Tilda did look strange. However you gotta give it to her for the way she took good natured shots a Clooney.

February 26, 2008 2:35 PM  
Blogger TWISI opined...

the only unanimous rave of the entire telecast I have heard (or read) is Jon Stewart, he definitely was the best part of the evening.

February 26, 2008 3:47 PM  
Blogger Sling opined...

Thanks for recapping kid.I didn't watch the Oscars,because mostly,I didn't see any of the movies,and I'm sure I won't till they come on one of the movie channels.
Jon Stewart showed everyone how a real gentleman behaves!

February 26, 2008 4:49 PM  
Blogger Traveling Matt opined...

i was a fan of john stewart calling that one chick back to do her speech. it was sa that she didn't get a chance. i love tilda swinton but you know, she's a red haired brit! obviously she is colorless. a little lipstick never hurt anybody but i think she's hot regardless. her dress was unfortunate to say the least... but she's still hot.

February 27, 2008 7:54 AM  
Blogger Lorraine opined...

Elroy, I loved her shots at Clooney. He obviously did, too.

Twisi, I know, right? He's awesome.

Sling, anytime. And that's what I loved about what he did...so stand up and considerate. I swoon for that sort of behavior.

Monica, yep, she's hot. But really, a little make up never killed anyone.

February 27, 2008 9:17 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous opined...

Ba Ha Ha Ha (Note no W)

Thank you humbly for the Oscar rundown. Smiled humorously throughout. Great insight and experience should always be heard.

Thaks again!!

Peace

:+}

February 28, 2008 2:33 AM  
Blogger Lorraine opined...

Anonyba, I don't know about that but I was happy to share. And thanks for pushing me to do so because it obviously pleased the kiddies and uncovered a heretofore untapped well of Tilda Swinton love.

February 28, 2008 6:22 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous opined...

i'm with you on miss chenowith! love her to pieces!

March 01, 2008 5:57 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home