Tuesday, February 26, 2008

Winning

I watched the sunrise this morning, the rose pink sky glowing through the black, naked arms of The Neighbor's apple trees. I heard birdsong. Crocuses shine like a pool of lavender near the roses and the lawns are brandishing spears of tulip leaves. It's still 5 weeks away, but spring, she is a'comin'.

The coming of spring signals many things, not the least among them CYO volleyball. We greeted this season with the best of all possible news, that Bad Coach was gone and Extremely Good Coach...the woman who first coached the team back in 5th grade, was returning. Whoo to the hoo and praisalluia! To make things even more exciting, our gym, famously called the Miracle Gym, was finished on time and the girls played their first game on their own home court this weekend.
This is a marvelous thing. The gym is marvelous because it is a sign that when you are determined and believe, things happen. Our school is entirely too small and too unendowed to be able to build a gym, even though the price tag was a "mere" $2 million. Initial fundraising among the parents netted commitments for $1k over the next 5 years, but hardly enough to break ground. And then an benefactor swooped in, giving us something like $1.5 for the project. And so it was done and the angels sang.
It's a sweet little gym, too. Dig the score board. Two other schools/parishes chipped in to bring the project to fruition, thus giving them a home court as well. But we get dibs 'cause it's on our land and we contributed the most.
And the girls, riven with joy and excitement, won their first match. Of course. I predict that based on sheer excitement and determination, they will bring home the first banner to hang in the Miracle gym. How cool would that be?



The philosophical question has oft been proposed: If a man is alone in the woods, with no woman around to correct him, is he still wrong?

I freely admit that I don't know everything. I regularly defer to The Spouse on matters that are his acknowledged area of expertise: cars, World War II, computers, roasting meat, movie making (but not actors...I know all about that. We'll watch a movie and he'll say "Where have I seen him before?" and I'll be all, "Hello? 'Singin' in the Rain', 'Xanadu', 'An American in Paris'..." and he'll be, "Oh, right, Gene Kelly". He doesn't look things up on IMDb, he just goes to FMDb- Fluffy's Movie Database). Point is, he knows things and I know he knows things.
But when he's wrong, he's wrong. Last week I publically bet $5 that Heath Ledger's picture
would be the last one during the "In Memorium" bit at the Oscars. He took that "sucker bet", because it was the 2007 Oscars and Ledger died in 2008. So who's picture ended the somber montage? That's right.
Pay up, big boy.

He kinda hates to lose.

Labels: , , ,

11 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous opined...

Ba Ha Ha Ha (Note no W)

No Oscar STUFF?

I mean PPLLEEAASSEE!!

You all are movie people for cryin out loud!

Ph well, I'm sure you have some reason or other.

Peace

:+}

February 26, 2008 9:13 AM  
Blogger sageweb opined...

Oh so cute, poor thing. Hey great gym. The catholic school I went to in the 70's still has the same crappy gym. Stinks too. But down south from you are the poorer Catholics.

February 26, 2008 9:20 AM  
Blogger booda baby opined...

I'm honestly glad you all got your much-needed cash, but doesn't it amaze? Where people choose to channel their fortunes? Anything having to do with a school and the experience of education - to me, that's the best. Oh. And anything infrastructure.

And yet, people around here STILL buy wayyyy overpriced homes and estates and ... oh, this is SUCH a digression. Sorry. Gooood for the volleyball gang!!

February 26, 2008 9:40 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous opined...

Yeah, I was going to bet against you on that too. I figured they'd show him, but not last, because that would be too obvious.

I don't know anything.

February 26, 2008 9:48 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous opined...

Oh crap! I thought it was JP wot said that. I owe you a great apology and also a kudos. But not five bucks. That, my friend, I'll keep to myself.
Congrats to The Child and her team!
WHOOP WHOOP

February 26, 2008 10:03 AM  
Blogger Kimberly Ann opined...

So cute. You both need to go in my pocket. Which makes Tim Gunn in a pocket, within a pocket. Wow, this is getting complicated. We'll make it work. Tee hee.

February 26, 2008 10:41 AM  
Blogger Lorraine opined...

I'll get on it, Anony.

Our school has pretty poor Catholics, too, Sageweb. That's why we call it the Miracle Gym.

Totally know what you mean, Booda. But I guess in the case of little kids and athletics I'm down with it. Not like we have rich donors paying for our jocks to go to school and drive drunk and still be on the team while English majors work two jobs while carrying a full load. Or something like that.

JP, you know some things. Uh...um...you make really good Sim houses and you know how to open beer bottles. Those are mad skillz.

Whoop whoop di doop!

Tee, KA. Love the new avatar, btw.

February 26, 2008 1:41 PM  
Blogger Eric opined...

I'm just an empty shell of a man

February 26, 2008 3:10 PM  
Blogger Br. Jonathan opined...

VERY clever pics of The Spouse. You should have bet him 40 million so we could get that condo here at The Spire.

That's wonderful news about Bad Coach being gone. And the new gym. Even though school gymnasiums cause me traumatic flashbacks.

February 27, 2008 8:38 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous opined...

Yay on the gym!

And the photo montage of The Spouse?

Priceless.

February 27, 2008 7:59 PM  
Blogger more cowbell opined...

Ha! Don't spend it all in one place.

clap clap to the Child!

February 28, 2008 1:45 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home