Monday, December 17, 2007

We're Going to High School



If you came to me with a million dollars in a cute Kate Spade bag and said, "You can have this if you will relive one year of high school," I'd say, "Do I get to keep the bag?" and you'd say, "Sure," I'd say, "Can I pick the year?" and you'd say, "Yeah, any one of the four" and I'd say, "Could I have the bag in red?" and you said, "Sure," and I'd say, "Um, no. But thanks". Not for a million dollars in a red Kate Spade bag would I want to relive high school. A day, maybe, if I could pick the day. But not a year. Thank you, anyway.

I hated high school. I hated being a teenager. I hated being a pastor's kid. I hated the jocks and the soshes and the stoners and the a/v geeks, who broke my heart because they were even less cool than I was. I loved my little group of friends and the good, clean fun we had but I rarely had any classes with my buddies. I hated biology. I loved English. I hated PE (except when we learned square dancing). I hated being in love with the wrong guy and the way his sister tormented me when we weren't together. I hated not being allowed to go to dances but I probably would have hated dances because I was skinny and gawky and wore glasses and had a bad shag haircut (it was the 70s) and when I had a boyfriend he was older and didn't go to high school so I wouldn't have had anyone to dance with even if I'd known how to dance, which I didn't.

I wasn't pretty . I wasn't cool. (Golly, I was so totally the opposite of cool). I hadn't learned to value any of the things that were awesome about me, like my sense of humor or my compassion or my talent. I didn't fit in my skin and high school was, in short, nothing I'd want to do again for a million dollars in a red Kate Spade bag; not even knowing what I know now.

It is my fondest hope that it's going to be different for The Child. Grade school hasn't been a picnic for her. Between the bullying and the dyslexia and the struggle to fit in once she transferred from the bully school and the drama queens in her current class, she's had a rough go. She's paid her dues, people. I'd like to think that she's going to start high school, fresh from a life altering summer in France and armed with the self-possessions she's gained from all her hard knocks and will, consequently, find her niche, snuggle into her niche and rock it. I don't have dreams of her being a cheer leader, ASB president, homecoming queen and starring in every play. But I like to think that she'll find some nice friends, settle into her school work, get involved with the drama program and feel like she belongs.

I know. It's a bit much, considering that very few people I know speak with adoring fondness of their high school experience, but I still hope that for her. And when I hear people I know talk about the two schools to which she's applying, I think it's possible. Because they all speak fondly. I was wearing the sweatshirt for First Choice High at Trader Joe's one day and a clerk stopped me and said, "I went to First Choice. It was the best four years of my life". From her lips...

Today and tomorrow The Child is touring both schools, all day sessions, paired up with a current student, going through the paces and living the life of a high school student. She's psyched. She picked out an outfit (after carefully studying the dress code), put herself to bed at a decent hour, got up on her own and hit the shower (hello?). She is currently watching the news and eating a banana-yogurt-granola parfait. She's got homework packed in her messenger bag and money for lunch.

Saturday was the last of her placement exams. She feels really good about both of them. She said she finished every section before time was up (a huge accomplishment for little miss Freak-out-during-timed-tests). She said the math portion was really easy and she even felt good about the essay she had to write (pick a hero from literature and tell why you admire that person. She picked Hermione Granger from the Harry Potter books, because she respects her work ethic. "Way to suck up," said The Spouse). Having those tests behind her is a huge relief. Did I mention she had a very decent report card? And that she's written a fine essay about why she wants to attend First Choice (which will be adapted to argue for why she also wants to attend Second Choice)? I haven't written my essay yet. Oh, yeah, I have to write an essay about why I want her to attend these schools, too. Lordy, lordy, there wasn't this much paperwork involved when I applied to college. Letters of recommendation have been requested, the Pastoral Associate at church has written to confirm we are parishioners in good standing, forms have gone to the teacher and principal, lists of awards and community service and volleyball championships are being compiled and once all the i's are dotted and t's crossed, the whole bloody mess will be submitted (by January 17) and then we wait to see if she's accepted. Which of course, she will be. Who wouldn't be thrilled to have a kid like The Child in their student body.

Two days ago she was an itty bitty baby with chubber chubber cheeks and now she's going to high school.

I need a tablet.

Labels: ,

20 Comments:

Blogger Kimberly Ann opined...

She'll make it and she'll have a great high school experience. We've launched these thoughts into the magical Internets, so it will be so.

December 17, 2007 8:00 AM  
Blogger Anne opined...

I know, I know, and next week she'll be getting her Masters and getting married.

December 17, 2007 8:28 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous opined...

I hope she gets into First Choice High because Second Choice High doesn't realy have much of a ring to it. They probably lose a lot of football games, too.

December 17, 2007 8:42 AM  
Blogger Lorraine opined...

KA, I love the magical internets. Also love your Russian stew, which we had for dinner last night.

Anne, exactly. Crazy.

Me, too, JP. Plus I hear the dances at Second Choice are lame.

December 17, 2007 9:21 AM  
Blogger Unknown opined...

Amen, sister. No more high school for me- same reasons.

And your little girl is so gonna rock.

December 17, 2007 9:23 AM  
Blogger Lorraine opined...

We'll just buy our own Kate Spade handbags, Greeny.

December 17, 2007 9:32 AM  
Blogger Red Seven opined...

If it makes one feel better, count me in with the folks who generally enjoyed high school. Being a Navy brat, I had the blessing/curse of attending three different high schools; admittedly, I didn't begin to really enjoy the experience until my third, where I spent my junior and senior years, with the benefit of a fresh start surrounded by new faces, none of whom knew the old me.

But -- those two years were very much fun, with good friends and many good times. It's possible.

December 17, 2007 9:43 AM  
Blogger rosemary opined...

I am 13 years your senior and you described a lot of what my high school days were like but double your misery....I'll blog about the "clubs" someday. Your girl will do well, I know....get your essay done, proof it 37 times and then take a tablet or a great big swig of something.

December 17, 2007 11:14 AM  
Blogger more cowbell opined...

I'm excited for her doing the "tour days"! I hope she has fun. And am even more excited that her tests are OVER and that she feels good about them. Wunderbar!

My eldest hated high school -- did not fit in, couldn't wait to be done, but she's flourishing in college. Teen Demon likes it just fine (other than homework, of course), and is having fun. The son is just a freshman, but seems to be liking it ok thus far.

I look at the girls' experiences, opposite ends of the spectrum, same school. I'm thinking it's more about the individual than the school. I'm with you, the hope is for a few good friends to get you through and make things fun. (and hopefully some good teachers/mentors).

isn't it weird ... it's only 4 years, but such a HUGE part of one's experience.

December 17, 2007 12:05 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous opined...

I enjoyed high school, oddly enough. It wasn't all sunshine and roses, but for the most part, I think for a million in cash and a Dooney bag of choice, I could live through repeating a year.

I hope The Child is accepted into First Choice and has the best possible experience!

No, no, not a tablet. ***pop!***

December 17, 2007 12:55 PM  
Blogger Willym opined...

Fortunately even though my only association with sports was a few episodes with members of the football and wrestling team - hey we were experimenting okay! - and I sure as hell wasn't a Grade A student, high school wasn't all that bad. Winning that drama award, getting expelled for being part of a radical group who ran a Nazi flag up the flagpole in protest and editing the newspaper and year book stood me in good stead. Well actually I think it was the expelled thing that did it. But except for those sports episodes there really isn't much of those five years (Ontario high school grade 9-13) that I'd want to repeat.

Somehow I don't think The Child is going to have a problem. Sounds like she has a good head on her shoulders. But being a mother, you of course, as your learned in Mothering 101, worry. And being friends we'll worry with you.

December 17, 2007 1:11 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous opined...

I would go back. I have fantasies about it all the time. In fact, I would go so far as to pay someone a million dollars in a Kate Spade bag in order to do it. Just for one more day in Mrs. McKinley's drama class. I'm happy to say I know The Child. And I have no worries a'tall that she will shine shine shine.

December 17, 2007 2:12 PM  
Blogger Sling opined...

I'm confident the Child will be enthusiastically received into the hallowed halls of Choice #1!..assuming your essay meets their standards..

Pix of you and your shag haircut please!

December 17, 2007 3:10 PM  
Blogger thmswht opined...

I'm sure the child will be super fabulous in first choice high!

i know that i wouldn't take that fabulous bag of cash to relive high school. *shudder*

December 17, 2007 3:15 PM  
Blogger Lorraine opined...

Good to know, Red. Ya birthday boy, you.

Double the misery, Rosie? Ouch.

Exactly, Cowbell...just a blig on the radar of one's life but the impact is huge.

Ah, Syd, have champagne will travel...

Thanks, Willym...communal worrying is the best kind. It takes a village.

Ok, Hat, that's my kind of deal. Please remit $1 million in a red Kate Spade bag and I'll oil up the time machine.

Oh, crap, Sling.

And not even.

Thmswht, stand over here with me and Rosie and we'll shudder together.

December 17, 2007 3:42 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous opined...

Jonathan, got any Valium for our dearest Lorraine? *smiles* "The Child" is growing up so fast!!--Lorraine, soon you'll have to refer to her as "The Young Adult" in your writing. Wow, imagine that! *smiles*

Seriously, I pray that God blesses her with a wonderful high school experience and that she makes good friends a'plenty.

Happy Holidays and all that fun stuff, by the way! *smiles*

Love,

MHP :)

December 17, 2007 6:32 PM  
Blogger Iwanski opined...

I really enjoyed today's blog entry. A very thoughtful piece of writing.

December 17, 2007 6:40 PM  
Blogger Blogger opined...

Best of luck to The Child. We're also waiting to hear the results of a Teacher Training application made by two of our cherubs. I know: let's transmit prayers to each other across the pond.

As for High School... sorry, I was one of the people who enjoyed their experience... but that was mainly because I attended a school at a time in its development (and a time in the development of the country the school was in) when it was okay to belong to no category whatsoever, be it 'cool', 'jock', 'nerd', 'geek' or 'dork'. I gather things have changed since those days, but I'm always grateful for the school experience I had. Mind you, part of the reason why I loved school was because home was less than peaceful, but never mind about that now...

Yes, I'm sure The Child will find a niche, as long as she makes an effort to look for it. I think Mohammad's got to go the mountain in such situations. It takes time and energy to carve out a place of one's own, but it's well worth it in the end.

December 18, 2007 4:14 AM  
Blogger Lorraine opined...

MHP: Trust, sweetie, she'll always be The Child. It's a coping mechanism. (Sure, some would call it denial...). And happy happy merry merries to you and yours! Muuuwah.

Iwanski, see? When I was in high school they said I was moody. I wasn't moody, I was full of thought.

D: Transatlantic prayers...I'm in. And my little Mohammad has always been willing to go to the mountain but has encountered some rather intractable pinnacles. Still, she keeps working her way down the range, hopeful. Which is why my dearest wish is for that hope to be rewarded. Little cookie.

Anyway, bon chance to the cherubs. (And you and L because, let's face it, the kids are way more resilient than the parental units wot sits about hoping they'll make good/get their three wishes/etc).

December 18, 2007 6:27 AM  
Blogger Citymouse opined...

Im sure she will be fine, it's you I am worried about!

Um.. I'd take the bag, the money, and go out and do it all over again in a new york minute. I'd live it if I could change things or if i could not--- HS was great--I hope it is great for your child too -- oh for mine too!!! My oldest enters in a freashman next year too-- but no choices-- hi ho hi ho to public school we go!

December 18, 2007 7:35 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home