Wednesday, December 12, 2007

Pharwell to Phoebe

Our cat, Phoebe, went to be with St. Francis last night. There is much sadness and woe in our house. Please speak softly.

I am grateful to the lovely woman sitting next to me in the vet's office, who asked about my sick kitty and didn't laugh at me when I started bawling. I'm grateful to the vet and nurse who were absolute angels through the whole thing. I'm grateful to The Neighbor who came down to be with me because The Child was too distraught and The Spouse wasn't yet home. Phoebe went very quickly and peacefully. She was ready.

But now I want to tell stories about her.

The Child was 3 when we bought our house. One afternoon we were sitting in our apartment and she started asking questions about the new house.

"When we have new house, I take my toys?"

"Yes."

"When we have new house, I take all my books?"

"Yes."

"When we have new house, I have my room?"

"Yes, you'll have your very own room". (Not the glorified closet in which she slept).

Her eyes got big and shiny. "Mommy, when we have new house I get a doggie and a kitty?"

"Yes, we can have pets in the new house".

"In new house me have a doggie named Puppy and a kitty named Phoebe!"

And so it was, when we stumbled on some children giving away free kitties at the Market that we selected a girl kitty. She was already named.



When we got kitty home The Child was beyond exuberant. And it was freaking out The Cat, who escaped from The Child's too loving embrace and ran to hide behind the washing machine. The Child was beside herself, thinking kitty had rejected her, so The Spouse took her off to play as a distraction. I went into the family room to watch cooking shows. After about an hour the little thing came strolling in. I picked her up and held her. She fell asleep on my chest and then I fell asleep, too. The Spouse and Child found us like that some time later and kitty, no longer quite so freaked, got acquainted with The Child. I would never suggest that Phoebe loved me best, but from that first cozy nap she knew I was her mommy.



That first Thanksgiving we had gone down to Portland to celebrate. Seattle Coffee Girl came to watch the house and kitty. When she met us at the train station she was a bit distraught as she had not seen the cat since she first arrived at the house. We got home and there was Phoebe on the front porch. (This would be her MO for the next 10 years, taking off whenever anyone came to the house. For years no one knew we had a cat because they never saw her. Only in this last year has she stuck around when there are visitors). Much relieved, SCG went home and I sent The Child to get ready for bed, as it was very late.

She came back out of her room and said, "Mommy, Phoebe peed on my bed". I went in, annoyed of course, to discover that Phoebe hadn't merely peed. She had been using The Child's bed as a litter box the entire time we were gone. And the cat, I swear, stood there and looked at me as if to say, "Dude, I totally thought you were never ever coming back and I swear to God I would never have done something so disgusting if I had thought you'd be coming back. I promise I'll never ever do this again". And until this last turn, she never did.



Phoebe was the worlds greatest hunter. That cat could pull birds out of midflight. I fear we will now be over run by rodents, as she cleared out anything that came near our house. She beat up cats twice her size. She was fierce.

One day The Child and I were playing in her room, rolling a ball back and forth. The ball went under the bed and The Child crawled under to retrieve it. "What's this?" she said, batting something out toward me. She came back out with the ball and was covered in little downy feathers. I investigated and the "that" she'd encountered was the head of a small bird.

It was only the first of many treasures The Cat would bring into the house to display. She took to leaving dead birds in front of the living room door - on the inside of the house, mind you - for us to admire. There was a patch there where every single morning we would wake up to find a dead bird in the house. One morning I got up to discover a little chalk outline of a bird. The Spouse had cleaned the remains but he wanted me to know a crime had been committed. (Funny, funny Spouse). We put a bell on her. Then we added a second. But that cat was so stealthy that she could move without ringing her bells. If she really wanted to take something down, she'd do it.



One night The Spouse and I were watching the telly and Phoebe came into the house at a rush. Shortly afterwards, a mouse ran into the family room and behind the TV. Phoebe came in, looking pissed. She couldn't get at the mouse so she left and The Spouse and I just closed the door and walked away, hoping to deal with it later. The next morning there was no sign of the mouse so we figured he'd gotten lucky.

That night we were lying in bed when we heard a fearful scuffle and shriek and then nothing. The Cat came into our room, went under the bed and started making dining noises. "Oh, no you don't!" shouted The Spouse and he got up, drug her and her prize out from under the bed and put her outside.

We were very proud of her, of course, but one has limits.



She was a beautiful cat. She had gorgeous green eyes and the prettiest face of any kitty I ever saw. She was aloof and entirely cat-possessed but when she wanted to let you love her, she was all purrs and nuzzles. Yesterday, as I held her in my lap, she was too weak to do anything but lie there but once in a while she'd lift her head and gently tap her nose against my arm, giving me the last of her kitty loves. It made me happy to know that even as she was leaving us she still wanted me to know that I was her mommy and she loved me.

I feel very silly sitting here, crying again about my cat but there it is. She was a good kitty. She loved catnip. She hated The Dog. "Smelly Cat" was her favorite song. She adored fish. She will be missed.

Phoebe Cat, Spring 1997-December 11, 2007

Rest in Peace, Kitty

Labels: ,

50 Comments:

Blogger Kimberly Ann opined...

Don't feel silly. I'm sitting here crying right along with you. (((hug)))

December 12, 2007 7:51 AM  
Blogger Anne opined...

I hate it when animal family members leave this world. You should feel bad if you didn't care.

double hugs and tissues

December 12, 2007 7:56 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous opined...

Sad.

Hugs to you and The Child.

December 12, 2007 8:07 AM  
Blogger Nunnie's Attic opined...

I'm sobbing! I am so sorry. But I loved when you said she was with St. Francis. That's a pleasant thought. I hope she meets all of my pets who are already there with him and they can play together.

10 years isn't that old for a cat, though. I don't want to upset you anymore than you already are but did she have feline leukemia or something like that? I can't imagine losing one of my kitties and I have 6 of them.

BIG HUG and a smooch on the cheek for you Lorraine and The Child. I feel your pain and I am truly sorry for you.

Love,
Julie

December 12, 2007 8:17 AM  
Blogger Lorraine opined...

Thanks, KA & Anne. Hugs back.

Funny story about the tissues: when I was talking to the nice lady at the vet's, the receptionist tip toed over and put a box of tissues beside me. I thanked her and then asked, "Can I get a scotch on the rocks?"

'K, maybe it wasn't that funny.

Thanks, Uncle JP. Your neice especially needs the hugs.

Aw, thanks so much, Julie. She had a bad episode last spring with a kidney issue. It was around the time of the pet food recall. She didn't eat any of the tainted food but she was an indoor/outdoor cat so who knows if she got some of it elsewhere. We were able to pull her back from the brink then and had 9 more good months with her. It was probably her kidneys. I'm happy to think of her playing with your pets. No one can convince me that animals don't have souls.

December 12, 2007 8:31 AM  
Blogger Br. Jonathan opined...

Phoebe and I really connected while I was there. I'm so sad for all of you. Lots of hugs all around.

I'll bet an Emotional Support Pony would cheer up The Child. . . .

December 12, 2007 8:36 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous opined...

Some day (probably not today) you should read (if you haven't) the poem, "Rainbow Bridge." I love what you've written about Phoebe. It has all the elements of the best eulogies, sad and funny and profoundly respectful. Remember to breathe even when you have to breathe past that huge rock of sadness.

December 12, 2007 8:38 AM  
Blogger Lorraine opined...

Buck, when The Child was saying goodbye to Phoebe she looked up at one point, weeping, and said, "Mommy, she isn't doing pokey paws". You were with us in that moment. Thanks.

Thank you for your kind words, Anon. I'll look up that poem. Later.

December 12, 2007 8:45 AM  
Blogger Eric opined...

The poem is in the link I sent you this morning from the Myspace Film Maker forum.
Anon is one of my Coworkers who I had sent your post to.

December 12, 2007 8:56 AM  
Blogger Lorraine opined...

Yeah, I saw that. And like an idiot I read it. And blubbered some more. Sheesh.

Aren't people nice?

December 12, 2007 8:58 AM  
Blogger booda baby opined...

Silly schmilly. Big love is big love and precious is precious. I'm very sorry for your sadness but it's pretty damned excellent to have had such a wonderful creature in your life.

December 12, 2007 9:20 AM  
Blogger Lorraine opined...

Damned excellent, indeed, Booda.

December 12, 2007 9:21 AM  
Blogger Doralong opined...

It's always hard to lose a loved one, and the number of feet that soul has doesn't make a damn bit of difference-

RIP Phoebe...

December 12, 2007 9:29 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous opined...

Phoebe was a much adored personal friend.

She was certainly the legendary huntress in the style of Artemas or Diana.

She was all beauty and grace.

One memory: Returning through your bedroom window after a night of hunting and party-going with her pals, she was a bit miffed to find us interlopers in her folks' bed.
She stalked away with an air of disdain, tail majestically held aloft.

Her cousin Lucy is very sad.

Dear Kitty. Never to be forgotten.

December 12, 2007 10:09 AM  
Blogger Lorraine opined...

Thanks, Mommy.

December 12, 2007 10:26 AM  
Blogger Lorraine opined...

And thanks, Doralong. Phoebe had very nice feet. She would have looked fab in Manolos.

December 12, 2007 10:29 AM  
Blogger Anne opined...

yes, the line about the scotch was funny.

December 12, 2007 10:33 AM  
Blogger Seattle Coffee Girl opined...

RIP, Phoebe. I loved feeding you chicken livers when I would house sit for your family. {{Sniff.}}

December 12, 2007 10:43 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous opined...

Beautifully written, when you lose a pet that you dearly love it's always best to remember the good stories. I've obviously never met your cat but I did enjoy reading about her.

December 12, 2007 10:44 AM  
Blogger Lorraine opined...

The funeral is at 3 on Saturday, SCG. You should come if you can. And thanks for taking care of her.

Allyn, thanks for stopping by and for your kind words.

December 12, 2007 12:14 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous opined...

blaaaaaah! I'm a wreck now.
But what a wonderful post my friend. I don't know how you made it through the writing. I barely managed the reading! (seriously - I am a snot factory right now)

December 12, 2007 1:15 PM  
Blogger Lorraine opined...

Make it through the writing? You're assuming I did? Ha! Here, I've got some slightly used tissue from the vet's office in my pocket. Love you.

December 12, 2007 1:40 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous opined...

I have a dog now, but I used to have cats. My last cat died last year in August 2006. She was an old cat at 21. She had a twin brother that lived to be 16. They were Tonken Siamese cats. Smart and aloof. They would sit together and judge the world. She was named Samamtha. He was named Foster.

I miss them...

My dog is a German Shepard. He's a damn smart dog. Police trained and extremely obedient. He is named Rex, which is not a name I would have given him. We brought him home when he was two. He had already served for a year as a police dog. The name came with the job, LOL.

I call him a bunch of names, like Bubba, Dude, Babalu, and Deputy Dawg (he's serious about guarding stuff). My girlfriend calls him Mr. Dog or Diggity Dog (he loves to dig). My nephew is into rap music, and he calls my dog "D-Dog Diggity-D" (my nephew is 10). Rex answers to all of his names, LOL.

I honestly believe that animals have spirits and souls. Rex has so much personality and character that he is almost a person like a human being. He has a wide vocabulary. He understands a lot more than most people would think. Many pets can be like that it seems.

I love my dog, Rex. I treat him like he's a member of my family. It would crush me, if he died. I hope that he has a long life. That's why it made me sad to read about your cat, Lorraine. It made me think about all those precious moments that I had with Samantha, Foster, and other pets that I have had in my life. Rex can never replace those that have gone before him. But, he does not have to. I have new happy times with him.

I hope that you have not given up on cats (or dogs), Lorraine. The pain of their passing is balanced by the love that they bring.

December 12, 2007 2:17 PM  
Blogger Lorraine opined...

John, thanks for your story. Nope. Haven't given up on animals. I admit, I got a little varklempt looking at The Dog last night and morbidly thinking that one day we'll have to go through this with him, too. Then I whacked myself on the side of the head and told me to snap out of it.

Our animals add so much to our lives. It's worth it. Better to have loved and lost and all that.

December 12, 2007 3:38 PM  
Blogger Eric opined...

FYI John and Allyn are 28th ID Buddies.
Thanks for stopping by guys, your sentiments are appreciated

December 12, 2007 3:48 PM  
Blogger rosemary opined...

I am so sorry Lorraine....we lost Drakie today. Something happening here. I am lost without my little kitty. I miss her horribly. You did a wonderful post about Phoebe and I am crying right along with you.

December 12, 2007 4:26 PM  
Blogger Sling opined...

Goodnight Phoebe..
Sorry for your family's loss lorrain.

December 12, 2007 4:31 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous opined...

Oh yeah and also,
"She was certainly the legendary huntress in the style of Artemas or Diana".

I think I heart your mommy.

December 12, 2007 4:37 PM  
Blogger Lorraine opined...

Rosie! NO!!!!! I'm sooooo sorry!

Thanks, Sling. The funeral is Saturday. Signature cocktail for the dead spread, perhaps?

Hat, my mommy is superfantastically heartable.

December 12, 2007 5:05 PM  
Blogger Mom opined...

Thank you for sharing your stories about Phoebe.She was a well loved kitty. I know her loss hurts and I am sorry

December 12, 2007 9:14 PM  
Blogger Suzanne opined...

...said in quiet whispers...I'm so very sorry to read about your family's loss...hugs

December 12, 2007 9:26 PM  
Blogger Lorraine opined...

Thank you very much, dear Mom to us all.

(thank you very much, Suz. Hugs back)

December 12, 2007 9:35 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous opined...

Deepest sympathies to Lorraine and fam, and to Rosemary. As has been said already, number of feets has no bearing on the love given and received.

From my Lost Ones--Maurice, Artie (lolloping Heinz 57 dog who lurved kitties), Trina, Leia, Felix, Fan, Clive, Musetta (dog), Lassie (dog--but not collie), Harry, Bayou, Matt, and Punkin--to yours, guided tours to the Fun After-Places offered 24/7...

December 13, 2007 12:36 AM  
Blogger Speck opined...

Hugs to you and The Child. Hope the big furry hole in your heart mends soon. May the tiniest bit of fluff remain though to remind you of the happy memories.

R.I.P. Phoebe

December 13, 2007 2:21 AM  
Blogger Lorraine opined...

Syd, it makes me happy to think of her having a guided tour of fun after-places. Also, those are some good pet names. I had a Lassie when I was 5-6ish. She WAS a collie. She got hit by a car during the Ed Sullivan show. See? We never forget our furry babies.

Oh, Speck, I just want to pinch your cheeks. (Nicely, not in a hurt-y way). Rather a lot of fluff lingering, actually. She was just the bestest cat.

December 13, 2007 6:17 AM  
Blogger Leah opined...

RIP Phoebe. I'm so sorry for your loss. ((hugs))

December 13, 2007 6:19 AM  
Blogger Willym opined...

Lucky Phoebe to have had Mommy, the Child and the Spouse to love her and double lucky family to have Phoebe to love them back.

I've been crying since I read your post - from sadness yes but also from the incredible love that I read there.

I'm hugging you and the family in my heart.

December 13, 2007 6:39 AM  
Blogger TWISI opined...

My condolences to the entire family.

December 13, 2007 6:45 AM  
Blogger Unknown opined...

Sad news. Hope you all can mend.

You gave Pheobe quite a memorial. Good pet love is the very best thing next to human love we can get.

December 13, 2007 9:34 AM  
Blogger Lorraine opined...

Hugs back, Leah. Thanks for stopping by.

Kiss kiss, Willym.

Much appreciated, Twisi. Love you.

You're so right, Greeny. I knew I loved my kitty but damn, now I know exactly how deep she was in my heart.

December 13, 2007 11:04 AM  
Blogger more cowbell opined...

Oh no. I'm very sorry, Lorraine. There's never anything, really to say ... our animals ARE family, and losing them is awful.

Good thoughts to you all today -- and most especially to the Child. We all know how tough it is to lose a pet you've had since a wee tyke. (I still remember losing the Smokey the Dog, and I was a lot younger.) Special hugs to the Child today. So sorry, Lorraine.

December 13, 2007 11:06 AM  
Blogger Iwanski opined...

My condolences.

Autumn and Hattie send purrs your way.

December 13, 2007 5:57 PM  
Blogger Lorraine opined...

Thanks a ton, Cowbell.

Iwanski, please give the girls and extra love tonight. Tnanks.

December 14, 2007 7:13 PM  
Blogger Red Seven opined...

Not sure how I missed this entry ... so sad to hear of sweet kitty's passing.

When my dog died, I thought I'd die too. When I adopted two cats, I never thought they'd ever squirm their way into my heart the way a dog can, but when one of them died young from cancer, it tore me up in a way that was shocking.

Hugs all around.

December 14, 2007 7:24 PM  
Blogger Lorraine opined...

Ah, Red, muuah!

December 14, 2007 7:36 PM  
Blogger here today, gone tomorrow opined...

Rest in peace, Phoebe. Say hello to my Willie, Angie and Sophie.

December 16, 2007 4:04 PM  
Blogger Lorraine opined...

Thanks, HTGT, I'm sure they are all playing together very happily.

December 16, 2007 7:55 PM  
Blogger Unknown opined...

I am so sorry I have been MIA and didn't know about Phoebe. It is so bizarre that Drake and Phoebe left together... I am sure they are keeping each other company right now. I am really sorry for your loss, Lorraine. I can't even imagine losing Ali, or even Riley for that matter. I remember how much it hurt when our 17 year-old cocker died... I do know how much it must hurt losing Phoebe. My condolences to you, The Child, The Spouse, and The Dog.

December 22, 2007 12:54 PM  
Blogger Lorraine opined...

Awww, thanks Gina. I do console myself with the thought of Phoebs and Drakie having a good ol' time in kitty heaven.

December 22, 2007 7:36 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous opined...

Lorrainey,

I can not, not, NOT believe that I missed this post back in December!!!! It wasn't until I read your blog today that I found out that Phoebe died. And to think that John didn't even mention it to me! Silly boy!! So I went searching through your blog to find this post.

Anyway, I was SO sorry to hear of Phoebe's passing. But I know she's in kitty heaven right now, having the time of her life.

Sorry I didn't offer my condolences in a more timely manner!

Love,

MHP :)

January 30, 2008 6:46 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home