Monday, September 17, 2007

That's a Wrap, People!

We're done shooting the movie, which is hardly to suggest that it is finished. Any amount of scoring and editing lie ahead, but that's not my lookout. All I have to worry about is how many of my scenes land on the cutting room floor. Well, that and return my house to some semblance of normal. The crew did a good job of generally returning large things their proper places. But there are still any number of half-full water bottles to recover from the set the living room, piles of "wardrobe" to be returned to the closet and I want to take my duster to all the cobwebs I noticed during the "poor pitiful me" scene.

Here's a picture of The Hat and The Child, between takes.

It was so good to see The Hat, even though most of our interaction came from shooting each other smiley looks and sharing an aside between takes. On Saturday night we wrapped at 11pm (We had some night exteriors to shoot...none of that "day for night" nonesense for Herr Director) and then The Hat and I stayed up until 1:30am, talking. I love her.

Yesterday The Spouse woke me at 8am. We had to scramble because call time was 9 am. And this crew of ours, which I will remind you is NOT getting paid and doing this all for love, are extremely professional. If call was 9am, people would be arriving by 8:55.

I hoped up, greeted The Hat, made coffee and realized that I had my two biggest speeches left to shoot. Guess what? I couldn't remember either of them. At all.

The Hat ran lines with me when I got a chance. She was very nice. She tried very hard not to laugh at how often I stared off blankly and then asked, "Line?" She told me to do the Chicken Dance. It worked, shaking loose the lines just in time for me to actually deliver them on camera.

These 4 days of shooting have been exhausting. By yesterday morning I was beginning to feel ready to be done with all this, have a normal weekend around the casa and all that. But I confess that when I heard "This is the martini shot, people!" I got a little varkelmpt. When the Director shouted, "That's a wrap, people" and everyone started applauding, there were tears. Tears I could have used in the "poor pitiful me" scene, but tears nonetheless.

Then we all ate lasagne. I'm going to miss craft services.

Once the house was restored, sorta, to rights and the last strips on the script board were ceremoniously turned by our superfantastic AD, once idiot checks were done to be sure no bits of equipment lingered where they ought not and once everyone was properly hugged and thanked and sent on their way, I lay down to nap. For 3 hours. Then we watched dailies. Then I went to bed.

Get your fancy schmanzy clothes in order. I'll let you know when we're having the premiere.

Now I get to focus on this coming weekend's celebrations and the arrival of JP. I. Can't. Wait.

Labels: , ,

10 Comments:

Blogger booda baby opined...

Hm. I think I'll cling to my romantic ideas of what movie-making involves. Very Singin' in the Rain-ish. You described WAY more work than what my fantasies involve (although the ensemble atmosphere and the lots of fun people and the Favorite and Star-Quality Hat is seductive).

Animation can be tedious - okay, it IS tedious - but it's tedious in a slow and whatever time I want to work on it kind of way.

September 17, 2007 9:54 AM  
Blogger more cowbell opined...

OMG, sounds exhausting. I guess there's a price to fame. That picture is too good.

September 17, 2007 10:33 AM  
Blogger Lorraine opined...

Cling away, Booda Baby. I'll not desuade you. Plus, craft services is kinda glamorous. Especially the whole not having to cook or clean up bit.

Oh, such a price tag, CB. But did I mention there was lasagne?

September 17, 2007 11:22 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous opined...

heh heh, chicken dance. Damn my eyes for not having a camera. Actually, damn my eyes for having the camera in my purse and not having the sense to take it out. HOW WERE THE DAILIES?!?!?

September 17, 2007 11:24 AM  
Blogger Lorraine opined...

Yes, damn you. That would have been something to commit for all time to film.

I joke.

They were pretty good, I think. The night stuff turned out great and the gypsies, well, I think the appropriate phrase is "scene stealing".

September 17, 2007 11:25 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous opined...

oh, how brilliant!! i wish i could have been there... i make a good 'just being there person'... i laugh a lot... usually at inappropriate moments... but a lot, nonetheless...

September 17, 2007 12:29 PM  
Blogger Lorraine opined...

And there were so many inappropriate moments, Amy. Like the time The Neighbor delivered her lines, quite by accident, as Yoda and immediately turned the show into a fan film.

September 17, 2007 12:44 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous opined...

See this, you must.

September 17, 2007 1:53 PM  
Blogger Sling opined...

I've been trying to put together a story line in my head,just from the few hints you given...can't do it.
Still,I'm all smiley and excited from knowing that really talented people can!
I'm lovin' the shot of Hat and The Child,clearly conspiring to steal the show. ;)

September 17, 2007 5:59 PM  
Blogger Iwanski opined...

Tee hee hee
(FUll-on schoolgirl giggle)

September 18, 2007 8:15 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home