Monday, September 10, 2007

What I Really Want to Do is Direct

Not.

I learned something very important this weekend: movie making is not glamorous.

It is hours of waiting around for 2 minutes of action. Which you then have to repeat over and over. It is hitting your mark, opening a quarter turn to the camera, being cued and then having to wait because yet another jet is flying overhead. It is being in makeup at 9am with your first on-camera lines coming at 2:30pm. It is getting yourself all worked up so you can cry on camera and just when you get actual tears realizing that the crew is still fussing with the camera angle. It's remembering to have the sound guy take off your wireless so you can have some privacy in the bathroom. It is putting in an 8 hour day for what will amount to 5 minutes of final film and being so tired that your bones ache, even when you are sleeping.

Yup. Glam.Our.

On the plus side, the people working on this project are all really nice, really funny folks. And they are all total professionals, even though none of them is getting paid. It is very cool to see Iwanski and The Spouse's words coming to life. Things that seemed rather simple on the page became much more interesting in reality. It's fun to learn a new language:

"Kill the baby!" (Nothing to do with child abuse and everything to do with lighting).

"This is the martini shot!" (Last shot of the day - we get this right and we can all have beer).

And there's the litany for each shot:

"Slate!"
"Sound?"
"Sound ready".
"Camera?"
"Ready...camera rolling".
"Action!"

Another thing I learned about movie making is that it is a big plus to work with a good director. And I can honestly say, even though I am sleeping with him, that our director is a dream. The Spouse has a decided vision of what this film is supposed to look like and he communicates that clearly to both cast and crew. Additionally, he's a consummate professional. I have never, of course, really seen him in action movie-wise and when I did he was working as an electrician. In all his years of movie-making, he's learned a lot about direction and it shows. He's getting the performances he wants, he trusts his crew and he's on the mark with his shooting schedule. I was very apprehensive about working with him in this capacity but I needn't have been. He is A.Maz.Ing.

Not to mention, he was brilliant with The Child. I was bored out of my skull most of the time but at least I know how to cope with boredom. The Child, especially the first day, was twitchy and goofy and I, for one (though I don't think I was alone in this) frequently recalled the old Hollywood adage, "Never work with animals or children". But The Spouse managed to pull the performance he wanted from her and was able to control her in a very professional manner. It wasn't daddy yelling at the kid, it was the Director, working calmly with giddy teen talent. He did his job and she did hers. And yesterday she was far more composed and far less annoying.

It's been quite an experience so far. I'm looking forward to next weekend's shoot. I also know that I am so not giving up my day job.

Labels: ,

15 Comments:

Blogger Eric opined...

Ok that was very nice but I want you to write it again but this time really emphasize my good qualities.

OK back to One

September 10, 2007 1:59 PM  
Blogger Lorraine opined...

I just blew craft service leftovers out of my nose!

September 10, 2007 2:01 PM  
Blogger Iwanski opined...

Cool cool cool cool cool cool cool.

September 10, 2007 5:21 PM  
Blogger Sling opined...

Yeah,..but doesn't all the public adoration,non-stop partying with the beautiful people,and obscene amounts of money you show-biz folks rake in,kind of make up for it?...Admit it.You're havin' a ball! ;)

September 10, 2007 5:24 PM  
Blogger Lorraine opined...

Iwanski, I so wish you coulda been here. You would have LOVED it.

Sling, oh gods, if you knew how boring Brad and Angie are in real life...and you hardly ever get to keep the gowns. And it is fun. When it's not mind-numbingly boring. I sure couldn't do it for a living.

September 10, 2007 5:27 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous opined...

I'm practicing the wild eyed stare that my part demands. Oh, and growing long black hair from the mole on my chin - which, sadly, seems to come naturally to me.

September 10, 2007 5:39 PM  
Blogger Red Seven opined...

When I was still making a go at being a professional actor, I made two films, and loved it even though I never really got the hang of it. It always seemed like one big rehearsal; we were done way before the audience ever showed up. And yet, I found the whole thing fascinating. I remember the aching bones too, and yet reading this through, I'm totally jealous. Wow -- fun.

September 10, 2007 7:03 PM  
Blogger more cowbell opined...

Wow, sounds fun! I bet the Child is brilliant. It all sounds very exciting and Hollywoodish. I, sadly, have no acting experience or skills whatsoever. The son is taking drama this year. Yeah, like that's just what I need ... he'll have that shit honed to a fine point by year's end.

September 10, 2007 8:26 PM  
Blogger Lorraine opined...

Hat, the hair thing is really important. It's why you were cast.

Red, I prefer theatre. a) Everything moves in a logical direction rather than jumping all over the script...I get why scenes aren't done in order but it is super hard to not have the continuity of Act I, Scene 1, if you know what I mean. 2) There is something to be said for the immediacy of an audience.

Cowbell, The Child is a little like a mining project. I think she's given the director everything he's been looking for thus far, you just have to dig it out of all the takes. That's the beauty of film over theatre...he'll be able to cobble together quite a fine performance from all the footage, leaving all her half-arse clowning around on the cutting room floor!

September 11, 2007 6:24 AM  
Blogger Citymouse opined...

I cant wait to see how next week goes!

September 11, 2007 6:28 AM  
Blogger Lorraine opined...

Me, too, Mouse. There will be more people on my side of the camera next weekend and that's going to be way fun.

September 11, 2007 8:29 AM  
Blogger Traveling Matt opined...

So... like, if I casually happen into your area and casually let it slip that I went to film school and casuallly let it slip that I am out of the loop in chicago... maybe the spouse will let me work on the next film??? (dangles a bag of doritos in your face as a really pitiful bribe)

September 11, 2007 9:15 AM  
Blogger Lorraine opined...

Make that a bag of crunchy Cheetos, Monica, and you're in.

September 11, 2007 2:27 PM  
Blogger Molly opined...

that's so cool, Auntie Raine. Will i get to see the finished project?

September 11, 2007 5:27 PM  
Blogger Lorraine opined...

You would have had a blast, Mols. And we're thinking of a premiere party, red carpet and everything. I'll be sure and let you know when.

September 11, 2007 6:25 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home