Saturday, September 15, 2007

Saturday Stuff

The Child didn't win the election. She's OK with it. We all know that the best person for the job doesn't always win.




I have to pick up the house. Which is funny because in a couple hours it's going to be torn up by the crew to set the scene for the movie. Oh well.




The Spouse is still coughing and sniffling. Then this morning he woke up in absolute agony because all his lying around yesterday resulted in a bad back. I massaged it, put muscle rub all over him (mmm...minty fresh) and gave him an ibuprofen. An hour later he came out and did a little dance to show that he was feeling better. Funny boy.



I get to see the Hat in a few hours. Yay!




I also have to go pull together my wardrobe for today. We're shooting some fantasy sequences that are going to require wardrobe changes. I have to make sure that what I have in mind doesn't make me look like a pregnant pumpkin. The camera really does add 20 pounds, btw. I hate the camera.



Last night The Child and I were watching the original "Love Bug". I had such a crush on Dean Jones when I was a kid. Lord, he was yummy. Anyway, despite my interest in the movie I started to fall asleep (it's been a long week). Suddenly The Spouse came in and said, "Honey, the Rabbi is here". I had totally forgotten that I had promised the Rabbi's Wife that I'd come turn off her oven at 8:30. I was barefoot and in my jammies. I threw on a coat and walked over to their house with the Rabbi and their daughter, chatting about the movie and apologizing. The Rabbi's Wife was laughing when I got there and it got worse because I was wearing my glasses and when I'm wearing them, I can't really see to read (usually wear contacts and have reading glasses, dontcha know). I had to take off my glasses and stick my face right up to her ovens to find the right buttons. It was hysterically ridiculous. Once everything was shut down I gave her a big hug and said, "The goyim come through again!" They all cracked up. Nothing gets a Jewish person laughing faster than goyim calling themselves goyim. Oy vey.



Two hours til call time. Best get on with it.

Labels: , ,

16 Comments:

Blogger Sling opined...

Bummer about the Child,but you can't win if you don't play.She's to commended for the effort.
Good on the Spouse for troopering on!
Hey...I'm wondering why the neighbors need someone to turn off their oven?..Is it some terribly complex technological affair??..you know...like setting the clock on a VCR?
Say Hi to Hat for me,and have fun!

September 15, 2007 2:18 PM  
Blogger Lorraine opined...

Sling, my Jewish neighbors are Orthodox, so on holidays and Sabbath they can't "manipulate nature". If the oven isn't on a timer then it needs to be turned on or off, as the case may be, by someone who isn't required by God's law to observe said holiday or Sabbath. Capice?

Hat says 'hi'.

September 15, 2007 3:43 PM  
Blogger Sling opined...

OH!...I see.
That's totally cool!

September 15, 2007 4:36 PM  
Blogger Iwanski opined...

I am jumping up and down in my chair like a five-year-old girl.

September 16, 2007 12:13 AM  
Blogger more cowbell opined...

Oh darn. so sorry to hear that about the Child. I hope it doesn't discourage from trying again. Teen Demon didn't make Yell Leaders the first time she tried, but she tried again the next year and did, and now she's Captain her senior year. She told me she almost didn't try the second year, because of not making it the first. Anyway, I'm glad to hear she's got a good attitude about it (kudos mom) and hope she'll try again.

Maybe they were Diebold counters ...

September 16, 2007 11:41 AM  
Blogger more cowbell opined...

PS Give the Hat a big juicy kiss for me. And pinch her cheeks. No, the other cheeks, jeez!

September 16, 2007 11:42 AM  
Blogger Lex Lata opined...

Wardrobe for a fantasy sequence? Am I at the right blog?

September 16, 2007 12:38 PM  
Blogger Nicole opined...

Hey, I can't wait to be one of those before and afters.

September 16, 2007 1:48 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous opined...

oh this is great... check this out... this is how great jokes are born...

so anyway... there was this woman sitting there snuggled up with a Dean Jones movie... when all of a sudden the Rabbi comes over to help her pick out her costume for the fantasy scene...

i'm worried where the punchline is going... i'll stop.

September 16, 2007 5:00 PM  
Blogger Lorraine opined...

I hope we make you proud, Iwanski.

CB, oh, I'm sure she'll try again. "Tenacity" is her middle name. No. Really.

And hugs and pinches duly delivered.

Lex, heh heh heh.

Me, too, Nicole!

Yeah, Amy. Pretty much all that story needs is a bartender to be perfect. Sling?

September 16, 2007 10:01 PM  
Blogger Blogger opined...

I'm guessing goyim means gentile?

A similar effect can be achieved if one refers to oneself as gora (masculine) or gori (feminine) whilst in the company of a person or persons of Indian/Pakistani extraction.

September 17, 2007 1:17 AM  
Blogger Blogger opined...

Further to above...

The aforementioned 'effect' will be achieved only if the speaker him/herself is of caucasian persuasion.

Oh look, I can see a tower. I must be in Babel...

September 17, 2007 2:54 AM  
Blogger Unknown opined...

Ah, Lorraine, you make me smile even on a Monday morning.
You are wonderful!

September 17, 2007 5:07 AM  
Blogger Anne opined...

I guess it's a good thing my neighbor the rabbi isn't orthodox so I don't have to traipse across the street in jammies!

September 17, 2007 6:22 AM  
Blogger Citymouse opined...

Sounds like a busy weekend. Napping is good, I'm all for the nap! Thanks for the update!

September 17, 2007 6:39 AM  
Blogger Lorraine opined...

Dariush, Exactly. Nothing is funnier than someone making fun of their own extraction in front of people not of that persuasion.

Greeny, glad I could brighten your day!

Anne, you have a rabbi neighbor, too?? Fun!

Naps are on my top 10 list of favorite things, Mouse.

September 17, 2007 8:23 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home