Friday, September 07, 2007

All Politics is Local

The Child has decided to run for class vice president. There she goes again with that whole gumption thing. And of course, my first thought (note: thought, not word) was "Oh, geez, don't do that. What if you don't win?" (That would be the primal-mother-bear-voice talking). What I said was, "Good luck, honey!"

After dinner she asked if I'd help her write her speech.

"Not tonight, we can work on it tomorrow if you want".

That wasn't good enough, what with her whole "dog with a bone" thing. She wrote her own speech.

I sent her to bed.

She stayed up way past her bedtime practising her speech. Which I considered to be something of a waste of time because there would, no doubt, be significant changes to the text before it was ready for delivery. (That was my William-Shawn-with-a-mechanical-pencil voice).

This morning she asked me to listen to her efforts:

Hello, fellow classmates. I am here because I would like to be our class Vice President.
This is our last year together before we go our separate ways to high school. I believe we should have a fun time together.
Sure, I'm no Joe 4.0, but if I set my mind to something I can get it done. I promise that with me as the Vice President of our class, I will get our class on more field trips than last year*. We should remember our last year together. We don't have to all become best friends and go out from St. G hand in hand. But our 8th grade year should be one to remember.
I promise I will do whatever it takes to get our class to DC and make it an unforgettable experience.
When you are voting, please consider the issues and who has the passion and commitment for this position.
Thank you.

Isn't that a perfectly fine speech? (That's the beaming-with-pride mom voice). You know what I contributed? A little switching of word order and the deletion of 2 passive words.

She really is moving toward that place, both heart-wrenching and desired, where she just doesn't need me as much any more. Except that she still can't drive anywhere. Ha!


*Valid promise, btw, as the 8th grade teacher believes that planning field trips should be the province of the students...if they want it bad enough to do the legwork, they can have it.

Labels: ,

17 Comments:

Blogger Eric opined...

You know, That is a rather nice little speech
Good on the Boofacina

September 07, 2007 8:57 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous opined...

Me = proud. Again.

[sniff]

September 07, 2007 11:50 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous opined...

I should start practicing my squenching of her for next week.

September 07, 2007 1:01 PM  
Blogger Iwanski opined...

It really is a classy speech. Better than Dubya could do. She should definitely win.

Just watch out for the creeps with the Diebold machines.

September 07, 2007 4:09 PM  
Blogger Sling opined...

I suspect that Saint G's field trip itinerary is about to be entrusted to the very capable hands of The Child...This pleases me!

September 07, 2007 6:20 PM  
Blogger Lorraine opined...

Yep.

Here's a tissue, JP.

Yes, Hat. Much squenching will be required.

Iwanski, there's an independent group coming in to monitor the election. And The Child would like me to tell you that she thinks those comments were "very sweet of him".

Sling,from your lips.

September 07, 2007 7:00 PM  
Blogger Traveling Matt opined...

good for the child. have her wield that power with a mighty fist... but wait a few weeks so they don't see it coming (just kidding)

September 07, 2007 9:54 PM  
Blogger rosemary opined...

Excellent speech, just excellent. This girl is gonna go far...Law? Professor? Medicine?

September 08, 2007 12:04 PM  
Blogger more cowbell opined...

That's wonderful! Good for her! I know I've only ever laid eyes on photographic versions of the Child, but I'm feeling really proud of her right now. That's great.

September 08, 2007 2:49 PM  
Blogger Suzanne opined...

Very nice speech, succinct, pithy, heart-felt...many qualities to make a Momma proud!

September 09, 2007 8:24 AM  
Blogger Br. Jonathan opined...

That is SO cute. She sure knows what will be appealing. Please keep us posted on the outcomes.

September 09, 2007 9:19 AM  
Blogger Mom opined...

She's got my vote.
When she gets to DC all your blog land friends here will look out for her.

September 09, 2007 5:47 PM  
Blogger Lorraine opined...

Good advice, Monica. We've been looking for a Karl Rove for her campaign. Want the job?

Pickpocket? Actress? Vet? The sky's the limit, Rosie.

It takes a cyber village, Cowbell.

Indeed, Suz. Rather proud indeed.

Duly noted, Mom. I'll do that for sure!

September 10, 2007 7:11 AM  
Blogger Lorraine opined...

I'll be reporting the returns as soon as I have them, Uncle Buck!

September 10, 2007 7:11 AM  
Blogger Citymouse opined...

vote for child
vote for child
vote for child

September 10, 2007 8:33 AM  
Blogger Red Seven opined...

I ran for President of my eighth grade class. I didn't win; the jock did. Didn't cause any lasting damage. Still, it sounds like she'd get my vote. Just sayin'.

September 10, 2007 11:28 AM  
Blogger Lorraine opined...

Thanks, Mouse. That will make her very happy.

Red, yeah, I fully expect her to be beat by the jock or some other 8th grade equivelent, even though she probably is the best choice for the job. But win or lose, I am super proud of her.

September 10, 2007 1:36 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home