Monday, July 30, 2007

How Do You Say, "Bummer" in Swedish?

Strictly speaking, there is someone who is in worse shape than I am. Ingmar Bergman has died.

Honestly, I wasn't a huge fan of his work. Oh, sure, I appreciated it intellectually and wanted to embrace his films because all the cool kids were doing it and he influenced film-makers I do care about, like Woody Allen. But mostly I thought his films were sorta boring. I actually fell asleep watching "Wild Strawberries". In the theatre.

You know who else puts me to sleep? Stanley Kubrik. No kidding. With a very few exceptions, Kubrik bores the snot out of me.

But I digress. Ingmar Bergman was a gifted film-maker who knew his way around, uh, a camera and um, austere windswept Swedish landscapes. And he sure knew how to light his actresses. Snaps. (I'm sorry, I keep having this picture in my head of him playing chess with Death before he, you know, died. Is that wrong?)

Rest in peace, Ingmar.

Here's a little film The Spouse made some years ago; his homage to Bergman.




Hannah Und Heir Papa

Add to My Profile More Videos

Labels:

17 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous opined...

Posting this should totally make up for the fact that you are presently weeping for another man. Right?

July 30, 2007 1:23 PM  
Blogger Lorraine opined...

Right.

July 30, 2007 1:57 PM  
Blogger Br. Jonathan opined...

I LOVE this film! You guys did a great job with it. It reminds me of "Mit Liv Som Hund" (My Life as a Dog)

When are we going to get to see Lorrainskaya Fabulovna, Princess of Minsk, Pinsk, and Irkutsk?

July 30, 2007 1:59 PM  
Blogger Lorraine opined...

Yeah, there's just nothing like trying to read Babelfish Scandahoovian late at night with a couple of glasses of wine in you. Really authentic, don'tcha think?

The Czarina is in mourning out of solidarity for me and my broken heart.

July 30, 2007 3:19 PM  
Blogger rosemary opined...

Not able to watch...sorry to spouse. When you watch Bergman's films....words escape my explaination.

July 30, 2007 3:32 PM  
Blogger Red Seven opined...

Okay, THAT was hilarious.

I loved Bergmans "Smiles on a Summer Night" (which I only watched because it's the source material for Stephen Sondheim's "A Little Night Music" and hi, I'm a musical theatre queen).

"Isn't it ... rich ... ?"

Indeed.

July 30, 2007 3:36 PM  
Blogger Lex Lata opined...

So much talent in one family.

July 30, 2007 5:22 PM  
Blogger Lorraine opined...

Sorry, Rosie. I'll show it to you in September, assuming...

Red: Glad you liked it. Rich, indeed. Aren't we a pair?

Lex: Yeah. It's almost criminal.

July 30, 2007 5:46 PM  
Blogger Sling opined...

Look how cute Dylan is!..That was fun.
Maybe the Czarina could make another appearance once A suitable period of mourning has passed..

July 30, 2007 7:59 PM  
Blogger Lorraine opined...

We're all about the fun, Sling. And the bad Scandahoovian.

July 30, 2007 9:34 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous opined...

That takes the prize!

July 31, 2007 7:38 AM  
Blogger Lorraine opined...

Anon: Takes the prize but perhaps should give it back.

July 31, 2007 7:55 AM  
Blogger TWISI opined...

Remind me to grab a Kubrik film next time I have a cold....hey, it's worth a try!

July 31, 2007 8:18 AM  
Blogger Lorraine opined...

Twisi: May I recommend "2001: A Space Oddessy" or "Eyes Wide Shut", both stunning in their ability to induce coma-like slumber.

July 31, 2007 8:24 AM  
Blogger Grish opined...

I luv me some Subtitles..:-)

August 01, 2007 2:57 AM  
Blogger Molly opined...

I love that movie!!

August 01, 2007 10:15 AM  
Blogger Lorraine opined...

It is a classic, isn't it, Mols?

August 01, 2007 10:17 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home