Friday, June 01, 2007

Music That's Not From the Eighties, if You Can Believe That

It's Friday and that means I'm starting to think about what I'm going to play at The Club this weekend. Which gets me thinking about music in general, how we all have songs that are part of our own personal soundtrack and take us right back to a specific time in our lives. Then I started thinking about songs that might make up The Child's soundtrack.

You all know that her signature tune was "Don't Cry for Me, Argentina". When she saw Madonna singing it in "Evita" she looked at me with shocked expression and said, "That's my song!" Let's say it together...diva. But there are other tunes that should be on her hit parade.

Recently we decided to watch "Yellow Submarine". The Spouse had taken The Child to see it when it was re-released for its 30th anniversary. She was 4. She was very into the Beatles. She loved it. He bought the video. When we put it on the other night she said she didn't really remember it so it was like watching it for the first time. Until "Hey Bulldog" came on and she began singing it. She didn't remember knowing the song, but she knew it.





"Hey Bulldog" The Beatles


The Christmas before she was born, The Spouse gave me "Everybody Else is Doing It, So Why Can't We?" (which, btw, I always thought was a classic album title). When she was brand-new, I used to dance her in my arms to this tune:




"Linger" The Cranberries


But the song that got the all-time best reaction from her was "What's the Frequency, Kenneth?" It didn't matter where she was in the apartment or what she was doing; if we put that tune on she'd run to the stereo and dance like the wild Boofacina that she was. We have it on video tape somewhere...I really should find it and get it up on Dailymotion. You'd die laughing at the cuteness of it all. Oh, wait. I seem to recall that it was shot when I was having a bad hair day. Maybe we won't expose it to the world. But dang, she was adorable.

I wonder if she remembers that song. Maybe I'll play the video when she gets home and see what happens.





REM "What's the Frequency, Kenneth?"

Labels: ,

16 Comments:

Blogger Iwanski opined...

One of my favorite REM songs, but there are so many.
Iwanski loves REM.

June 01, 2007 3:32 PM  
Blogger Lorraine opined...

So much REM, so little time. I heart them mightily myself.

June 01, 2007 3:33 PM  
Blogger rosemary opined...

Love the Cranberries....my son recorded dozens of CD's for me from the 70's and 80' and there the little fruits were!

June 01, 2007 7:12 PM  
Blogger Lorraine opined...

The Cranberries are from the 90s, Rosemary, but that's beside the point. Because they are tart little fruits and I like 'em!

June 01, 2007 7:40 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous opined...

I'm mixing up some drivin' tunes as we speak.
Thanks for the happy reminder to put REM on the CD. Can't have road rage when you listen to REM. Might drive off a cliff, but that only hurts yourself. And anyone at the bottom of the cliff. Wait, why was I commenting again?

June 01, 2007 7:50 PM  
Blogger Lorraine opined...

And "Roam" and "Deadbeat's Club" by B52s. Excellent road music. Could cause driving off of cliffs, too, what with the dancing around while singing. Try not to do that, won'tcha?

June 01, 2007 8:01 PM  
Blogger Sling opined...

..a fine foundation for her musical soundtrack!
Now I have to go search out some Rosemary Clooney..

June 01, 2007 8:59 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous opined...

"Kenneth" is my fave REM tune. (90
s.)

And "Mysterious Ways" is my fave U2 tune. (90's.)

When are we starting "here's the 90's?"

June 01, 2007 11:17 PM  
Blogger Lorraine opined...

Sling, love that Rosemary Clooney!

JP: "Walking on Broken Glass" one of my fave Eurythmics (90s)...I don't know, man, but I've been keeping an eye on that pie shop down the street...I figure Mrs. Weston is going to retire one of these days...

June 02, 2007 8:34 AM  
Blogger Red Seven opined...

Please add the Cranberries to my life soundtrack as well.

Also, good tunes for driving: Drive: REM (duh), Haven't Seen For Awhile: Pat McGee Band, Everything (acoustic iTunes version): Alanis Morisette, Least Complicated: Indigo Girls, Kiss from a Rose: Seal, Riverwide: Sheryl Crow, Oh What a World: Rufus Wainwright, Life in a Northern Town: The Dream Academy.

And there's more where that came from ...

June 02, 2007 9:00 AM  
Blogger Lorraine opined...

Sheryl Crow is TOTALLY road music. Also the Cars. And Springsteen. And, and, and...

June 02, 2007 9:20 AM  
Blogger Red Seven opined...

Also, Cyndi Lauper's version of "I Drove All Night" is a great road tune, for obvious reasons.

FYI, I'm pretty sure "Walking on Broken Glass" was Annie sans Dave.

June 02, 2007 1:07 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous opined...

Sheryl Crow gives me gas. And not the kind that I can use in my vehicle. Otherwise yes, yes she would be awesome road music.

June 02, 2007 1:22 PM  
Blogger Lorraine opined...

The point, Red, is that I can't play her/their killer video, replete with John Malkovich, at the current club. And it makes me sad.

Hat, ginger tea works for that.

June 02, 2007 1:27 PM  
Blogger rosemary opined...

Everybody's Doing It was 1991 or so and that's almost the 80's........I'm lucky to remember this century.

June 02, 2007 5:45 PM  
Blogger Lorraine opined...

Yes, Rosemary, sometimes close is good enough.

June 02, 2007 7:22 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home