Tuesday, May 29, 2007

Memorial Day BBQ

Here's a fun game: When The Spouse is engaged in his annual Memorial Day viewing of war movies, start making potato salad. He will begin to call out to make sure you're putting in celery. Then he will say, "And onions". Tell him you're thinking of using green onions. Watch the fireworks.

Funny thing about picnic food. You can find thousands of recipes for tarted up versions of the standard fare. But in my experience, nothing satisfies the crowd like the classics: potato salad (with mayo-mustard dressing; none of your high-falutin' vinaigrettes, thankyouverymuch), coleslaw (cabbage, shredded carrots, vinegar-sugar-mayo dressing) and baked beans (molasses, ketchup, mustard). Nothin' fancy; people want their potato salad to taste like potato salad. The variations and permutations are all very well for any other occasion, but not Memorial Day and not Labor Day.

I also made devilled eggs. It was as if I'd lassoed the moon and given generous portions to each of the guests. They came to the table, gleaming on their bed of basil. (I don't have one of those devilled egg plates, the kind with the divots in it so the eggs don't roll around. But a little bed of parsley or basil or even lettuce will keep them in place and look pretty, to boot). There were probably 6 people standing around the table, looking at them. Everything was still under plastic wrap, as we were heating up the grill. The look of longing was heart-breaking. Finally, Jim said, "Boy, I'm ready to start eating those now" and I said, "Well, then, let's eat them". Oh, the joy. We eat took an egg, toasted to summer and chomped them down. Seattle Coffee Girl likened the bliss to oyster shooters.

The Spouse noted, mournfully, much later in the evening, that he didn't get any devilled eggs. They disappeared quickly and he was busy chatting up people. Fortunately, he'd been given a trial egg earlier in the afternoon.

Another funny thing about picnic side dishes. I don't use any recipes. I just know how everything is supposed to taste. Big spoonfuls of this, squirts of that, stir and taste and adjust accordingly. How many potatoes? Until the bowl is full. How many eggs? Enough. How much mustard? Less than the amount of mayo but more than a dab. Somehow, it all works out.

The trifle was superfantastic, too. For that I can provide a recipe.

Chocolate Trifle

1 chocolate cake, baked and stuck in a bundt pan
2 boxes of chocolate pudding mix (yeah, I coulda made it from scratch but I didn't).
1 pint heavy whipping cream, whipped and lightly sweetened
1 bag chocolate chips (Fair Trade chocolate so that you can eat in good conscience)
Triple Sec

Pull handfuls of cake out of the bundt pan and scatter in bottom of a trifle bowl (the nice one that you love a lot upon which your husband is later going to drop a glass fishing float and bust into 6 shattered pieces).

Sprinkle the cake with the merest bit of Triple Sec because pregnant people and children will be eating it.

Spread half the pudding over the cake.

Glop about 1 c. of whipping cream over the pudding.

Sprinkle with chocolate chips.

Repeat.

Chill until ready to serve. Stand back.


The guests bring whatever they want to grill. This was the first go-round. Later you would have found pork ribs and corn on the cob on there, too.










I had a steak set aside for myself but when it came time to eat it was a hot dog that was calling my name, mostly because I just wanted plenty of room on the plate for the side dishes. That's what it's all about.

Labels: , ,

16 Comments:

Blogger Citymouse opined...

I love a good cook out-- we went to a freinds home-- so i didnt even have to cook!

and why is it devil eggs are always better when made by someone else?

May 29, 2007 12:22 PM  
Blogger Br. Jonathan opined...

I began laughing at the first paragraph with The Spouse calling out the ingredients. Guffaws coming out of my office. (BTW - my mom always puts sour cream, green olives and NO ONIONS in the tater salad).
Now that I've read about your cook-out views, I'm just beside myself, anticipating our Corn Dog Riot in July.
Devilled eggs -- Classic!

May 29, 2007 12:43 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous opined...

Mmmm... deviled eggs...

May 29, 2007 12:43 PM  
Blogger Red Seven opined...

I wish I were an intuitive chef -- then I could really get into it. And yes, my mouth waters at the merest MENTION of deviled eggs.

However, I spent the weekend at a gay resort town, which meant that I had tuna steak (extra rare) encrusted with sesame seeds one night, and Korean barbecue salmon with bok choy and julienne carrots the next. And not one deviled egg. Damn.

May 29, 2007 1:05 PM  
Blogger Lorraine opined...

I don't know, Mouse, but it's true, isn't it?

FYI, Jon, The Spouse would not TOLERATE green olives in his potato salad. Oh, lord.

JP: Duly noted.

Well, Red, guess we know where you need to spend Memorial Day next year, don't we?

May 29, 2007 1:08 PM  
Blogger Seattle Coffee Girl opined...

Those deviled eggs were the things dreams are made of...superfantastic blobs of deliciousness, I'd say. Thank you for sharing your devil-making talents.

OMG, the triffle was so killer. Buffy jumped the rest of the night because he loved it so much. Yes, and natch, that happened after we left your house.

DH is enjoying the beef kabobs pictured on the far right of your grill photo for his lunch today. Because I pigged too heartily on the fabulous sides and didn't eat the kabob. Nice for him.

May 29, 2007 1:10 PM  
Blogger Lorraine opined...

SCG, That does it. I'm feeding you chocolate next time I see you so I can get that rascal to kick me.

May 29, 2007 1:12 PM  
Blogger Sling opined...

Now THAT'S grubbin'!
What is it about devilled eggs?
I don't care what the main course is,I can't stop thinking about them.(that would be the Devil part,I guess)
Sorry about the Trifle dish..

May 29, 2007 5:48 PM  
Blogger Lorraine opined...

If I had known how many people were going to be made so happy by serving devilled eggs I'd a made them a feature side dish way before this, Sling. And thanks for your condolences.

May 29, 2007 6:25 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous opined...

so my secret love is pictures of trifles. i've totally settled for the grillz pics, a trifle recipe, and mention of devilishousness eggs. i'll google the pics of trifles.
oh - and Pentecost Sunday was AWESOME. "no matter the languages, we are all united under God" - i think that's what the Haitian Priest said this Sunday.
hope seattle is rockin this week.

May 29, 2007 7:36 PM  
Blogger Lorraine opined...

Stacy, LOL! Glad you had a true Pentecost experience! Things in Seattle this week are predicted to be HOT.

May 29, 2007 7:37 PM  
Blogger Iwanski opined...

Your blog makes me hungry. Often.

May 29, 2007 9:36 PM  
Blogger Lorraine opined...

There's some left-over potato salad and coleslaw, Iwanski. And I could make you a hot dog.

May 30, 2007 7:29 AM  
Blogger Suzanne opined...

Yummy, scrumptious, delish, mouth-watering....and now I'm drooling on the computer keys.
Thanks for all the visuals, glad you had a lovely Memorial Day cookout.

May 30, 2007 9:17 AM  
Blogger TWISI opined...

Set a place for me at the picnic table for July 4th... I love a good BBQ!

Kendall

BTW... my word verification for this post was PMSJOY... just thought I would let you know!

May 30, 2007 9:29 AM  
Blogger Lorraine opined...

Be careful, Suz, wouldn't want you to get an electrical shock.

'K, Kendall. Although you should know that this year's 4th will be celebrated on a rooftop in Chicago...but that's closer to Florida anyhoo.

May 30, 2007 9:46 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home