Friday, May 04, 2007

Tag

Rosemary tagged me so now I have to come up with 10 interesting facts about myself. And that's sorta funny because I'm trying to think of 10 things I haven't already told you.

1. I'm addicted to computer games. When I'm feeling lazy or bored I can get sucked into hours of gaming. If someone would pay me to play The Sims, I'd be really happy. The best thing about a day like today, what with a brain tumor and all, is that I can play games without guilt because I'm not fit for anything else.

2. As a kid I totally believed in space aliens and lived in fear that they would come for me. One time a rumor started at school that aliens were coming to earth to take away all the children. I totally believed it, obsessed about it, prayed that we'd be spared and could only hope my parents would do something to stop the aliens. Then one evening, in the car, I heard them talking and they were saying things like "How long do they have?" and "I feel so helpless" and "There's nothing we can do but pray" and I totally panicked. The night before the aliens were supposed to come I cried myself to sleep. The next morning I was halfway through my bowl of Cheerios before realizing I hadn't been abducted.

Funny thing about all that? 412 years later I was watching an episode of "The Wonder Years" and Kevin was convinced his parents were getting a divorce because he kept hearing them talk in hushed, terse tones. It turned out that his parents were fine but were worrying about the Apollo 13 astronauts. And that's when I realized that was what my parents had been talking about.

3. I enjoy doing housework. But not mopping so much. Or scrubbing the bathtub. Which is why I wipe it down with a little shampoo when I take a shower.

4. I'm not the world's biggest chocolate fan but there's not much better in the world than a chocolate chip cookie warm from the oven with a tall glass of milk.

5. When I was a kid my favorite sandwiches were ketchup on white bread and Miracle Whip & iceberg lettuce. Also on white bread. I don't think this diet had anything to do with my fear of aliens.

6. I capsized a kayak in the Straits of Juan de Fuca when I was a tween. I didn't drown because I was only about 6 feet from shore and could stand up under the boat. It was scary, though.

7. I absolutely loathe and abominate sewing. I'm going to blog about that when my brain tumor goes away.

8. I had my first boyfriend when I was 14. I was taller than him.

9. I didn't get my driver's license until I was 40. That's right. 4-0. I learned to drive when I was a teenager, I just never had occasion to make it official. I was once T-boned by an English professor of mine, while driving alone in my room-mate's car. The cop on the scene was really ticked at me but he didn't even give me a ticket because the accident was so totally the prof's fault. I still can't believe I got away with that. What an idiot.

10. I have a terrible time remembering dates in history, basic scientific principles and my x8 math facts but would guess, at a minimum, I have the lyrics to about 412,000 songs and hymns in my head.

I should have done this after my nap. I'm sure it would have been far more interesting. So now I'm going to tag
City Mouse,
Jon,
Red7,
Greeny and Dana.

Labels: , ,

16 Comments:

Blogger HORIZON opined...

I was just stopping by to see how you were enjoying the weekend. What a great read- funny stuff about the aliens too :) poor wee thing.
l was watching replays of the wonder years earlier when making the dinner- Kevin is just great.
As for remembering songs- wow l am terrible at that one. Have the American pop idle playing behind me here though.
Bests xx

May 04, 2007 1:14 PM  
Blogger Unknown opined...

That's the thing about this tagging...it reminds me of all the other facts I could have put down when I read someone else's. Like, I loathe and abominate sewing too. I'll have to blog about my sewing escapades sometime. And I was taller than my first boyfriend by several inches, but I was 12. I never capsized a kayak, but I did fall down a mountain and have the scar above my eye to prove it - and photos my dad took. I was 8. Gee... I should post more of these tidbits. Yours are so interesting, and you really got me going!

Oh, hope the brain tumor goes into remission, and you have me totally beat on the song lyrics.

May 04, 2007 1:31 PM  
Blogger Br. Jonathan opined...

LOVE the alien story! Love. It!

Thanks for the tag. I was wondering what to write about. Me. Me. Me!

May 04, 2007 1:33 PM  
Blogger Nicole opined...

Sorry about the brain tumor. I actually have one this week too. Along with a river of snot flowing out of my head. Hope you feel better soon.

May 04, 2007 1:42 PM  
Blogger rosemary opined...

I KNEW you were interesting and brilliant; maybe it's the tumor like in Phenomenon...I can't play any games...I don't get them...the sandwich thing, Lorraine...blagugh. I once put a sewing machine needle through the tip of my 2nd finger making a straight seam....I love doing housework...all of it but vacuuming the stairs....see, that's why I like you so much even if you get a weird bump on your head. PS I am bringing the accordion to the party

May 04, 2007 3:47 PM  
Blogger Lorraine opined...

Hi, Horizon. Nice of you to stop by when you've been so busy. And have you been to "Painter of the Past" yet? My SiL's blog? She's a wonderful artist and I know you'll love her stuff. I think I'm going to Netflix "Wonder Years" so The Child can see it.

Gina, do write about the sewing...bet that's another one of our parallel universe things.

Jon, thought you'd like the task.

Nic, sorry about the tumor. That sucks. And the snot. Poor baby. Hope you're feeling well again soon.

Rosemary, I'm so glad you're bringing the accordian. Work on "La vie en rose", wouldja?

May 04, 2007 4:14 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous opined...

Lorraine,

I enjoyed reading this blog entry...and I could totally relate to a lot of these things! In particular:

1. I was REALLY addicted to the Sims for a while. Then most of them burned up in a kitchen fire...and even that didn't stop me!--I just had to let them grieve, then buy a smoke detector and teach them more about cooking...fun!

2. I absolutely LOATHE sewing, as well. The only thing I will occasionally do is sew a button on one of John's shirts--but I find it SO boring--almost as bad as doing the laundry.

3. I am totally with you about remembering song lyrics more than historic dates and scientific & mathematical facts. I may not get the song lyrics exactly right (Iwanski can attest to that!), but I will sing it nevertheless. My employee/cubicle mate knows that he can start singing any song, and I will ALWAYS keep singing it. Hey, it passes the time at work!

Oh, and I really enjoyed the alien story, as well! Too funny!!

-MHP :)

May 04, 2007 6:23 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous opined...

lorraine. stop doing this to me! almost every day when i read your blog, i have this moment:
YESS! MEE TOOO! (throw in an OMG too!)
- the miracle whip and lettuce sandwiches on white bread = childhood fave of mine. (suppressed about 50 exclamation points there)
- the dreams (suppress exclamation) oh golly the dreams. last night i dreamt i was crying and happy and glorious at the wedding. then a bee flew down the dress. i dont know if it stung me cuz i woke up. then i searched online and found out that dreaming about bees is good luck. unless it stings. that equals bad. soooo now i dont know if my dream was good or bad. but i do know i thought about the meaning of the dream at 4am.
- the sims / computer games are a fave pastime. it's not just for the nerd boys.
- as my lovely aunt MHP states - the song lyric thing runs in our family. i know a bajillion songs, but today i could not calculate 40% of something. d'oh

thanks AGAIN for making me smile and for allowing me the time to use a billion exclamation points.

have a happy weekend!

May 04, 2007 8:37 PM  
Blogger Sling opined...

I was totally hooked on Sim City.Something about creating your own metropolis is supremely satisfying.
Hello!...Cheese Whiz on white bread!..Ambrosia!..

May 04, 2007 8:59 PM  
Blogger Lorraine opined...

MHP, Twins separated at birth?

Stacy, You crack me up. Just curious...how many exclamation points on your wedding invite?

The Spouse had a dream when I was preggers wherein the baby turned into a bee. What do you make of that?

Sling, I'm thinking, yum. In fact, I'm thinking of white bread hors de oeuvers for this year's trailer trash party...

May 04, 2007 9:04 PM  
Blogger Lorraine opined...

Oh, and btw, MHP, my first Sim family ever, the husband totally died in a kitchen fire the first time he cooked, leaving poor Margaret a widow. It was very, very sad. That whole smoke detector thing and learning to cook before you move beyond a microwave...VERY important.

May 04, 2007 9:06 PM  
Blogger Red Seven opined...

Oh, wow. And here I was thinking that I wouldn't have anything to blog about today. Better start thinkin' ...

Totally grooved to your list, by the way.

May 05, 2007 7:59 AM  
Blogger Citymouse opined...

errrr tagged!!!
your over 40????

May 05, 2007 6:10 PM  
Blogger Lorraine opined...

Red, a little extra blog fodder is always good, right? See Mouse? Blog fodder. It's a good thing. And hello? Where have you been? My 50th birthday is in September, remember? The party that you're all invited to? You think I'd make up something like that?

May 05, 2007 6:12 PM  
Blogger Red Seven opined...

Pssst ... Mission Accomplished.

May 06, 2007 8:29 AM  
Blogger Bad Alice opined...

You like doing housework? I didn't get any farther. I'm just stunned. That's weirder than space aliens.

May 06, 2007 10:06 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home