Tuesday, May 08, 2007

Maybe I'm Lucky After All

Praisalluia, as we used to say at teen Bible camp.

I finally faced my fears, downloaded all the bank transactions for the last 45 days and matched them line by line with my Quicken. Turns out I had double booked a number of things, including the April mortgage payment. Whew. I really do have what the bank thinks I have. (Actually, the bank thinks I have $100 more than I do but right now I'm not inclined to go looking for it. Maybe later).

For once, I'm very happy to be an idiot.

Oh, and hey, in all my woe-is-me-ness earlier I forgot to mention something about The Child:

She came home on Friday with a progress report from her history/lit/language arts teacher. She was getting an A+ in reading, thankyouverymuch, owing to her brilliant Shakespearean performance.

"I don't get it," she said. "The most you can get is 100 and I got 109".

"Well, the thing is, that 100 is the most you could do to satisfy the teacher. You went above and beyond and he wanted to give you credit for that".

"Oh," she said, grinning like the proverbial cat with a canary.

She was getting a C in history, but that owed to missing assignments (the bane!). And she was getting an F in Language Arts, for the same reason. The good news was 2 fold. Her grades for the work/tests she'd done was quite good, A and B work, in fact. Which means she's getting the material and with dyslexia you have to worry about that. The other good news was that she has until this Friday to turn in any missing assignments, all of which have the potential to pull up her grades.

And she was determined. She did her daily homework on Friday afternoon and on Saturday morning sat down to her make-up work without being told, cajoled or otherwise forced.

But then, yesterday she came home with the brilliant news that when she turned in her make-up assignments the teacher discovered that he had failed to give her credit for something she had already done. And so, thus far, in his classes she is currently bound for honor roll. For the first time since she was 6. (Are you kvelling, Uncle JP?)

This morning as I dropped her off at school she gave me the injunction to go to the store, please, and get some bananas. "Mr. R. says bananas are über fruit", she said. "I want to keep doing well in school".

If über fruit is part of the equation, über fruit she shall have.

And now I know I can actually get her some. Huzzah.

Labels: , ,

10 Comments:

Blogger Seattle Coffee Girl opined...

Phee-yewph and Praisallujah, all in one big fat exhale.

Wow, that's a mighty fine post. I'm so proud of the Child for all of her extraordinary efforts! HONOR ROLL?!? She's amazing, that girl!

Thank goodness the accounting errors have been accounted for...and it's lovely to be in the black when those mysteries get solved!

May 08, 2007 3:37 PM  
Blogger Unknown opined...

Well, good news all around! Yay, yay, and yay!!! Too bad the only thing in the whole world that I'm allergic to is bananas, and I'm insanely, off the chart allergic to them. Crazy, huh?

May 08, 2007 4:49 PM  
Blogger Lorraine opined...

Yes, SCG. And today she found out she's destined for As and Bs in - get this- math and science. Whoo to the hoo.

Gina, crazy indeed.

May 08, 2007 5:15 PM  
Blogger rosemary opined...

I eat bananas and I got old anyway. Good for the child...not that I am surprised...I balance my checkbook every day online that way I only screw it up a little bit.

May 08, 2007 6:48 PM  
Blogger Sling opined...

..dibs on Gina's share of banana bread!

May 08, 2007 7:42 PM  
Blogger Lorraine opined...

Rosie, I'm thinking the every day thing is not a bad idea.

'K, Sling. I don't put raisins or nuts in my banana bread; that ok?

May 08, 2007 8:18 PM  
Blogger Br. Jonathan opined...

Pomegranates. Don't forget about pomegranates. They seem to be the new uber-food as well. And I know how much you enjoy looking for them.

Isn't double-debiting your checkbook just about the best thing EVAH??

May 09, 2007 6:47 AM  
Blogger Lorraine opined...

Ah, yes, pomegranates. But they are a bit busy for munching in a classroom. Still..

And yeah, double debiting beats fogetting to enter something. Not entering your mortgage payment, now that's a bad thing!

May 09, 2007 7:07 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous opined...

I AM kvelling.

When we spoke Saturday morning she told me about the F, which surprised me given that she enjoys writing. I should've known it was an administrative oversight.

May 09, 2007 12:37 PM  
Blogger Unknown opined...

Sling, it's all yours. And you can have my piece of the banana cream pie too.

May 09, 2007 2:19 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home