Monday, May 07, 2007

I Hate To Sew

Dame Judi is a seamstress. When I was growing up, she made a lot of our clothes. Back-to-school shopping involved a trip to the fabric store. DJ always had pattern books around the house and we'd have done a preliminary run-through, but there was nothing like going into the shop to the tables in the back where the huge pattern books sat and look through them. Then we'd copy down the numbers and rifle through the immense file cabinets to find the packets.

With four children, plus herself to clothe, Dame Judi seemed to always have sewing projects in various states of doneness. I remember at the farm she and Sean working to outfit one of the smaller upstairs rooms for a dedicated sewing room. (I also recall this project included employing some very heavy reclaimed wood, siding from an out building, as I recall. I also recall one of those shelves slipping as they tried to install it and one of them getting a gigantic sliver of wood in the shoulder. Nasty).

We could always count on DJ making our Easter frocks, usually staying up until the wee hours of Easter morning to finish them. Nothing, it seemed, was beyond her scope. Lined skirts, dresses, pant suits. (I remember one particularly stunning outfit she made for me...a bright red, orange and yellow plaid with red flocked flowers on it that she turned into a jacket and pants. I loved that outfit. It was the 70s). No fabric was too heavy or too sheer. And she always took fabulous liberties with the patterns, changing them up to suit ones taste and style.

She made both of my sisters wedding gowns. She would have made mine, too, but I found something off the rack at Laura Ashley for $300 and she said she wouldn't be able to make it for less than that so to go ahead and buy it. She did, however, make my petticoat and veil. The petticoat, layers and layers of tulle, was lined with a satin underskirt, on which she appliqued a heart taken from some extra fabric that had composed her wedding gown. She also made The Child's baptismal gown, complete with petticoat - embroidered with her initials and the date of her baptism- and a little cap. Both the dress and the cap were smocked by hand and at the hem of the gown she worked in the handkerchief I'd carried on my wedding day.

Precious heirlooms.

All the grandbabies received hand-made dresses from Nana. She just recently finished a costume for some musicale that Molly was in. Every single thing she does is beautiful and amazing, even if the creation of it gives her fits.

In my youth, I assumed that a talent for homemaking skills was genetic. Dame Judi had a flair for interior design, so did I. She was a brilliant cook, so was I. ('K, as a kid I wouldn't say my culinary skills were brilliant but I was interested, she coached me and I did alright. Certainly, she laid a fine foundation for me). So I necessarily assumed that I'd be able to sew like she did.

Not.

To be fair, the first project I embarked on was a shirt. For my Ken doll. Too small, too intricate. I was frustrated with the bothersome details and abandoned the project. It left a bad taste in my mouth.

When I was in high school, however, I decided to take another stab at it. I enrolled in a Beginning Sewing home-ec class. At first it was all well and good. We started by making samples. Taking smallish squares of cotton we'd perform the basics of sewing: darts, seams, etc., sewing all these little samples together into a book. That was fine. But then we had to do our final project. It was to be a simple a-line jumper, nothing too complicated. I selected a pattern and fabric. It was rosy pink with tiny flowers on it. Pretty.

We could work on the project at home, since there weren't enough machines in the classroom for everyone to have one. I rarely sewed in class. I was shy. I was, stupidly, nervous about working on my jumper where everyone could see me. What if I made a mistake? (Yeah, what if? The teacher would have been there to guide me and I might have learned something). So I opted instead to sit in the back, looking through big pattern books and talking with my friends. I think I sewed in the class exactly once, doing the long side seams...the easiest part.

And then. The project deadline suddenly arrived and I hadn't done a lick on the jumper. I hadn't worked on it at home, either, you see. I remember Dame Judi being none too pleased with me when I announced that I had to sew that evening. There was a lecture about procrastination and then she set me up in the sewing room, with the caveat that since I'd left it to this late date she was not going to be available to help me. Tough love.

At first, in my anger and arrogance, I was determined to show her. I'd whip that thing together and it would be perfect. But nothing about the process was remotely whip-like. The facing around the neckline confused me. A needle broke. I stuck pins into myself. And then, when I finally had everything pinned together and started sewing in earnest, the tension on the bobbin went off. I didn't know how to fix it and I couldn't ask for help. So I sewed anyway. The top stitches were alright but the ones underneath were loose and crooked. I soldiered on, finishing the blasted thing in the wee hours of the morning.

I turned it in and forgot about it.

A week or so later my teacher asked to see me after class. She was a hip, earnest young woman, in her first year of teaching. She told me, sadly, that my jumper was unacceptable. "I just can't give you a passing grade for this," she said, her big brown eyes welling up. "I know you're a good student," she said, "so I've decided to give you the weekend to do it again. If you can turn in a better project, I'll be able to raise your grade".

Now, I wasn't at all an aggressive student. I was the kind of kid who thought twice about asking a teacher if I could use the bathroom. So what happened next surprises me to this day. I looked right at her and said, "Ms. Hutchison, I really appreciate that and you're a great teacher. But I hate sewing and I'd rather get an F than ever have to sew anything ever again".

Poor thing. Fresh from teacher's college, ready to save the world, and she had failed to inspire me to love sewing. Oh well.

For the record, I didn't flunk. That was my dad's last year of teaching and Ms. Hutchison was one of the young teachers who held him in high esteem. I think she couldn't bear to flunk his kid. I'm pretty sure she gave me a C. Undeserved. But there it is.

To this day, I'd pretty much rather eat rocks than sew anything. That includes mending. I have a basket, as we speak, of things that are wanting a button or have a bit of hem coming undone. These tasks are in fact within my scope. I just hate doing even that. Which is why most of the items in my mending basket have been there for about a year. Seriously. The only thing motivating me to address them is that many of them are spring wardrobe items, things I'd rather like to be wearing about now. So I'll probably gut up and work through them this week. But I won't like it.

Labels: , , ,

24 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous opined...

I tell you what Lorraine, You cook for me and I'll sew for you....Deal?

May 07, 2007 11:30 AM  
Blogger Br. Jonathan opined...

Wonderful story!

You have a flair for interior design? My apartment is a clean slate. I know nothing about decorating. I'll let you at it when you're here. Help! Please!

May 07, 2007 11:42 AM  
Blogger Lorraine opined...

Dena, Deal!

Jon, I'll bring my swatches!

May 07, 2007 11:43 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous opined...

Lorraine,

I love hearing about the
growing up years! It made my
day.

May 07, 2007 1:46 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous opined...

Some of the worst days of my childhood were spent being dragged to fabric stores with my mom.

May 07, 2007 3:22 PM  
Blogger rosemary opined...

My mom sewed, was crochet & knitting whiz, tatted and painted. She made all of my high school fashions and my best memory is of all of the doll clothes she made for Kathy my dollie. The patterns I remember were Butterick..and they looked horribly complicated. Your posts sometimes evoke memories that make me cry...yep, I'm snorking

May 07, 2007 3:40 PM  
Blogger Unknown opined...

I'm telling you, Lorraine, we're twins born to different mothers. My sad 8th grade home ec story is almost as sad as yours, though not quite. I had to WEAR my jumper in the fashion show! The best part of the fashion show was that I was the MC and I got rave reviews. I had one woman, who said she went to professional fashion shows all the time, tell me how great my MC'ing was. Aside from that highlight, sewing was a miserable disaster, and I never again wore that jumper as it was really awful. My mending waits for my attention for at least as long as yours, for the exact same reasons. I attempted to sew my daughter a really cute little shorts romper thing when she was four with a brand new sewing machine I got for my 1st anniversary (I did ask for it - temporary insanity), and I sewed the legs together - twice. I never used the machine again. It's STILL in my closet. I got a C in home ec though. I think the MC'ing did it.

May 07, 2007 3:41 PM  
Blogger Lorraine opined...

Happy to oblige, Anon.

Rosemary, Here. Blow your nose with this hand embroidered hankie which I made from cotton I grew and spun myself. In cyberspace I'm quite the seamstress. No. Really. Keep it.

Gina, LOL!

May 07, 2007 3:45 PM  
Blogger Lorraine opined...

JP, That explains why you don't watch "Project Runway", huh?

May 07, 2007 3:46 PM  
Blogger Bad Alice opined...

My mom was great at sewing. I loved going with her to pick out patterns and fabric. She made most of my clothes on this old loud Singer sewing machine. And she sewed the button holes by hand. That still dumbfounds me. Even after she got a machine with a buttonhole attachment she did them by hand. I still remember a wonderful burgundy tweed skirt with a fitted burgundy jacket (a Ralph Lauren pattern, no less, with covered buttons). She didn't even bother pinning stuff together--she just went.

Every once in a while I see a deal on a sewing machine and slap myself back to reality. After all, what are consignment shops for, anyway? And really, the dry cleaner is pretty reasonable for repairing buttons and such. Reasonable meaning that they will actually be repaired for the season I am living in. But then I have to actually get the items for repair to the dry cleaner . . .

May 07, 2007 4:42 PM  
Blogger Sling opined...

I'm with JP..My mom and big sister used to drag me down to Inglewood on the trolley to spend about a A MILLION HOURS! looking at fabrics and patterns.Sis had to have all the latest.

May 07, 2007 4:51 PM  
Blogger Lorraine opined...

Bad Alice, yeah, I seem to recall Dame Judi doing button holes by hand as well. That Ralph Lauren ensemble sounds to die for. And yeah, I've heard those dry cleaning folk will do repairs. But not only do I have to get the stuff to them, I have to remember to pick them up. Which reminds me, I left some dresses down there about 2 months ago. Sheesh.

Sling, Oh those fashion forward sisters and the pains they inflicted on little brothers.

May 07, 2007 5:20 PM  
Blogger Bad Alice opined...

All this talk of sewing reminds me of this absolutely hideous dress my mom sent me one Christmas. She hadn't made it--she had obviously been to a "crafts" fair. It was a green drop-waist dress with Christmas trees all over it, and I seem to remember an extra Christmasy border of some sort--maybe stockings. It was shaped so oddly that I was convinced it could only fit a man. We actually got a guy at my workplace to model it for us. Fit him perfectly.

May 07, 2007 5:54 PM  
Blogger Lorraine opined...

Oh, Bad Alice, please tell me there are pictures!

May 07, 2007 6:02 PM  
Blogger Red Seven opined...

I never even tried to sew -- but am in awe of anyone who can do it and truth be told, would love to know how to make my own clothes. But not enough to learn how.

May 07, 2007 7:12 PM  
Blogger Lorraine opined...

"Project Runway" is all we need know of sewing, Red.

May 07, 2007 7:13 PM  
Blogger Suzanne opined...

Yes, DJ is an excellent seamstress....it's like having at least one Med. Dr. in the family...hmmmmm? do we have one of those?

Anyway, I just take a wee bit of exception with this sentence.... "All the grandbabies received hand-made dresses from Nana."

The boys are still waiting on those dresses.

May 07, 2007 9:34 PM  
Blogger Lorraine opined...

Yes, Suz, I should have said the "grandbaby girls". Although, I've seen the dresses she's making for the boys and they really are fabulous.

May 07, 2007 10:07 PM  
Blogger Dana opined...

As always, lovely post.

And the tag of yesterpost...I'm working on it. Am trying to come up with something more interesting than "Had oatmeal for breakfast."

Soon.

May 08, 2007 3:15 AM  
Blogger Lorraine opined...

Don't worry over it too much, Dana. That's the interesting thing about these tags. "Had oatmeal for breakfast" might not seem interesting to you, accustomed as you are to your oatmeal for breakfast. But to everyone else, it's those little details that prove just riveting. Seriously. I just wrote an entire post about hating to sew, for crying out loud and see how it resonated with people?

Man, blogging sure is an interesting pursuit.

May 08, 2007 6:28 AM  
Blogger TWISI opined...

My grandmother sewed all of our clothes when we were kids. (My mother didn't get the sewing gene either.)

When she died, I took her upright sewing cabinet, it stis in my living room today, still filled with her threads, scissors and lots of other "tools" that I don't understand.

Precious memories indeed!

May 08, 2007 6:44 AM  
Blogger Lorraine opined...

Kendall, sewing machine as objet d' art. Now that makes sense.

May 08, 2007 6:58 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous opined...

How sad, but then we aren't all going to love the same things. And that's OK! But I do hope Ken had another shirt so as not to freeze to death in the winter time. =)

Ree-Rah

May 08, 2007 1:43 PM  
Blogger Lorraine opined...

Tweetums (tee), Ken borrowed some spare kakhis from GI Joe so he was ok.

May 08, 2007 1:47 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home