Tuesday, April 10, 2007

Easter in Retrospect

The weather Easter day was variable but 'round about 11:00, when children were going to be hunting eggs, it was clear enough.And then we had a really yummy brunch of hot cross buns, which The Spouse made while I was at church on Saturday night, a savory baked egg-potato-cheese concoction and Canadian bacon sauteed in butter and then simmered in beer. There was a bowl of beautiful strawberries and some bananas (because I really hate making fruit salad and one of the families that comes doesn't really eat fruit). There was mimosas for the adults, and nice, black coffee. I had bought a bottle of sparkling cider for the kids, stuffing it in the freezer to chill quickly.

I forgot about it. Yeah. It exploded.

I was completely exhausted from the lack of sleep the night before. I told The Spouse before anyone arrived that around noon I was going to very politely excuse myself for a nap, in case there were stragglers still at the party. This ruse was not in fact necessary. Once everyone cleared out I thought through all the tasks to prepare for the evening feast and decided I could easily nap until 3 and still have ample time to do what needed doing.

And I napped. And it was delicious.

B & K stopped by just when I needed to get up. They were invited to dinner but unable to make it so they came by with a bottle of wine for the feast and a very cool ice cream sundae basket for The Child. We chatted for a while and they were off.

I had some boo boos in the kitchen this year. First, I sliced my hand while washing a champagne flute. Which, if you have to slice a hand, is an elegant way to do it. I also totally burned the crust for the lemon curd tart, but that was ok because The Neighbor was going to be bringing a triple coconut cream pie from the Dahlia Lounge. (And as it turned out, everyone was so full of feast that the pie was a to-go item for most of the guests anyway...they didn't need lemon curd tart, too).

And the molasses biscuits were a disappointment this year. I over cooked them a bit, too. The flavor was fine but they were sorta like hard tack. Which was not the intention.

And I tell you all this because, well, I don't always get it right and you should know that.

However, these items were of minor importance as the star of the Easter feast is the BAH and everything else only exists to serve it's smoky, spicy, glaze-y goodness.

It starts like this:It ends like this. (That's the roasted beet, orange and spinach salad in the background).I also served green bean casserole and streusel sweet potatoes, which were delicious, though I say it myself. But more important even than all that, even than the BAH in all its smokey, spicy, glaze-y goodness were the people gathered 'round the table and exchanges between and among us.

ReeRee and I sang our traditional rendition of "I Don't Know How to Love Him", complete with the harmony that gives The Spouse goosebumps. There were hugs and tears between prayer buddies, there were faith journey stories and jokes and spilling of wine and what, to my mind anyway, amounted to the grand and joyous relief of another Lent accomplished. There is something really wonderful about knowing that there are now 50 days ahead to celebrate what we learned, to embrace the graces that have been bestowed and all without having to fast.

The evening ended with The Spouse giving a screening of "Fortune Hunters" and we sent the guests off with wrapped slices of pie and reminders for the Pentecost feast in 50 days.

Alleluia!


Labels: , , , ,

11 Comments:

Blogger rosemary opined...

The kids gathering eggs and the yard are lovely...the ham making me hungry for anything that walks on 4 legs and grunts, but I do have one question...who is that weird looking person that insists on always wearing very little that lives in your house? I have seen them in previous posts...you really do need to feed him/her a bit more and have the "accessorize" talk. I feel better knowing that even you oyuff once in a while with your creative cooking...I am absolutely not creative but happily manage to screw up every single meal and my sweet Steve will always say "Another fine meal, rosemary!"

April 10, 2007 12:05 PM  
Blogger Lorraine opined...

Oh, yes. Our little artist model. I actually got that for The Child to use for drawing. But she never really did. So he sat forlorn in the living room, just another bit of objet, until The Spouse decided that he should reflect the tenor of the home. So he wore beads and frolicked at Carnevale, stood with head bowed and hands folded during Lent and now is all effusive with his "allulia-ness". He is not, as you can see, terribly modest but he's a kick to have around.

April 10, 2007 12:09 PM  
Blogger Nicole opined...

What a perfect Easter dress. Are we about the same height? Could she bring it next summer for me to borrow please?

April 10, 2007 12:11 PM  
Blogger Br. Jonathan opined...

HMOG. Coconut cream pie and BAH. Two of my favorite things. I SO wanna come to your house and play.

April 10, 2007 12:37 PM  
Blogger TWISI opined...

By chance is that the Child's BF hunting eggs with her?

April 10, 2007 12:53 PM  
Blogger Lorraine opined...

I think she might even be taller than you by now, Nic.

Jon, any time. You know that.

Indeed, Kendall. Indeed.

April 10, 2007 12:56 PM  
Blogger Seattle Coffee Girl opined...

Sounds like a lovely evening indeed! Happy Easter!

April 10, 2007 1:06 PM  
Blogger Iwanski opined...

Nice. I'd like to be adopted by your family.

April 10, 2007 4:08 PM  
Blogger Lorraine opined...

We missed you guys, SCG.

'K, Iwanski. If we start the paperwork now you should be ours by next Easter.

April 10, 2007 5:01 PM  
Blogger Sling opined...

Beatifully executed meal lorraine!
(thanx for 'fessin' up to a couple minor screw-ups,..gives the rest of us some illusion of dignity) ;)
Take care of that elegant boo-boo.

apropos of nothing,your evil word verification thingy spells "ramastat"

April 10, 2007 5:58 PM  
Blogger Lorraine opined...

Truth in advertising, Sling. And I think the wound is healing nicely, thanks.

April 10, 2007 6:46 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home