Thursday, April 05, 2007

Could it be a Trend?

Day 2. The Child made her bed again.

There were a few comments yesterday from parents who had the "pick your battles" strategy relative to room cleanliness. And I get that. Which is why we haven't actually had tons of battles about her room. Usually I just keep my mouth shut until it's looking like a hazmet site and then insist that she at least clear a path to the door in case of fire.

But the other side of the equation is, well, two-fold. And since I've been getting math lessons from her I know there are only 2 sides to an equation so suggesting that the other side is two-fold sounds like algebra or maybe even calculus. Which I don't do. Yet. I digress.

Let's start again.

I don't want her to kill herself should she have to negotiate her way out of her room in the dark. That's one.

I don't want mice and other creatures inhabiting her room. That's 2.

I also know that one of these days she's going to go live with other people. I don't want her to be the one whose personal habits are such that the other people are the ones asking, "Were you raised in a barn?" Because she wasn't, dammit.

But the other thing that I think is really important, though far less tangible, is the sense of peace you have in a room that isn't cluttered. A bedroom, especially, should be a respite, a place to get away from what's crazy and just be. A place to dream and create and play. The Child never wanted to clean her room, but she also didn't want to be in it. Or couldn't.

A few weeks ago I suggested that part of her afternoon routine be 15 minutes of "housekeeping" in her room, just picking up a few things, clearing one area, no big deal. And I suggested that if she managed to do it every day, she probably wouldn't have to do any cleaning come the weekend. She thought that would be groovy so she tried it. And it worked. Then she realized that if your bed is made, even if there is some stuff on the floor, your room still looks more clean than not. Plus it's yummier to get into at night. Add to that the fact that she's now doing her own laundry and necessarily can't have half her wardrobe moldering on the floor and it amounts to a pretty, calm, restful little spot. Which she is starting to use and enjoy in a way she hasn't since she was 3 and we first moved in.

And I think that is superfantastic.

I've been quite a productive little peanut today and I'm going to continue in that vain. Appropos of nothing, I'm going to leave you with this little tune which I just discovered last weekend while vjing at Here's the 80s. It's now my favorite Bangles song ever. Plus, both JP and I find this video to be brilliantly hilarious, for a couple of reasons. And since not all of you come to the club (as we like to calal it) on the weekends, thought you might enjoy a little musical interlude. (And yes, Rosie; I know you can't play videos on your archaic computer that is powered by gerbils. And all I can say is, hello darling? it's called the 21st century. Maybe you can watch it at Gina's).



"Going Down to Liverpool"

Labels: , , ,

8 Comments:

Blogger rosemary opined...

You are such a good mommy. What is it with kids and clutter/crud? While I have spent most of my adult life being O/C about cleaning I was beyond a slob as a kid...luckily my mom didn't care. Mice wouldn't last long in her room...they might nest in there but the real goodies are in the kitchen. But, it sounds like she is rational and can see the result of organization and productivity on a daily basis. Damm that reads well. As for my computer speed that is usually in reverse and clogged with gerbil poop...there is a wireless router in my husband's hamster cage of an office, still in the box, two years old but for some reason he said he needs to run wire. Does that sound right...wireless? run wire? Too much rodent info here.

April 05, 2007 3:31 PM  
Blogger Sling opined...

"Then she realized that if your bed is made, even if there is some stuff on the floor, your room still looks more clean than not. Plus it's yummier to get into at night".
I swear,I make my bed every morning for just that reason...That,and blue toilet water make me feel rich! :)

April 05, 2007 5:46 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous opined...

Note to self: Get blue toilet water.

And that video? Brilliant.

April 05, 2007 7:44 PM  
Blogger Lorraine opined...

I try, Rosie. Tell that husband to get off his duff and wire you up!

Oh goody, Sling. Now I can tell her what good company she is in.

JP: I never tire of it. At least I haven't yet. (And I'm thinking about blue toilet water, too).

April 05, 2007 8:09 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous opined...

Blog friends, listen up.

Fact: Blue toilet water is tacky.

My apologies to Sling.

April 05, 2007 11:42 PM  
Blogger Grish opined...

--> Transforms into a new age, Robert Rodriguez, technozombie at the sight of Leonard Nimoy...

I didn't know Leonard had a band. Sweet..

Hey I wonder if he had really had a band if he would had named it, "Live long and prosper." :-P

April 06, 2007 2:07 AM  
Blogger Lorraine opined...

But Neighb...it makes Sling feel rich. You can't take that away from him and I won't let you. I will keep my water clear but you lay off the boys. (Wait...that didn't come out right....)

Grish, Gotta love the Spock...

April 06, 2007 6:16 AM  
Blogger Unknown opined...

It's not rosemary's computer that is old and slow, it's her dialup. She lives in the boonies! No broadband. Sad, isn't it?

When I was a kid, my room was a disaster. I grew up to actually be a decent housekeeper. Too bad Mom isn't around to see that. My oldest son was the neatest kid you could imagine. His home now is a nightmare (hugely due to his wife being a horrible housekeeper so just gave up, but still). The Daughter was a slob. Now she's stunningly neat. So...maybe a nice mix of slobbiness and neatness - you know, made bed, picked up floor, but other clutter still evident - will make for the perfect adult housekeeper.

A made bed really is nice to get into at night. Too bad mine is almost never made. :(

Great vid.

April 06, 2007 6:52 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home