Monday, April 02, 2007

One a Penny, Two a Penny

Hot cross buns.

Love 'em.

Love making 'em.

Which I will do, probably on Holy Saturday, so they are nice and fresh for Easter brunch.

Nicole asked for a recipe. Here is the one I use every year.

Hot Cross Buns
3 1/2 to 4 cups all-purpose flour
2 packages active dry yeast
1 t. ground cinnamon
3/4 c. milk
1/2 c. vegetable oil
1/3 c. sugar
3/4 t. salt
3 eggs
2/3 c. dried currants
1 slightly beaten egg white
Frosting

In a large mixer bowl combine 2 cups of the flour, yeast and cinnamon.

In a saucepan heat the milk, oil, sugar and salt until warm (115-120°). Add liquid to dry ingredients; add eggs.

Beat at low spead on mixer for 1/2 minute, scraping the sides of the bowl. Beat 3 minutes on high speed. Turn speed down to medium and add currants and enough of the remaining flour to make a soft dough. (If you don't have a KitchenAid mixer, do this part by hand).

Shape dough into a ball. Place in oiled bowl; turn once. Cover and let rise until double (about 2 hours). Punch down. Cover and let rest for 10 minutes.

Divide dough into 18 pieces and form each piece into a smooth ball. Place on oiled baking sheet 1 1/2 inches apart. Cover and let rise until double (30-45 minutes).

Cut shallow cross in each bun and brush tops with egg white (reserving what remains).

Bake at 375° F. for 12-15 minutes. Let cool then pipe a cross on each bun with the frosting.

Frosting
Combine 1 1/2 c. confectioners sugar with the remaining egg white, 1/4 t. vanilla and a dash of salt. Mix until smooth. Add milk if necessary to make frosting of piping consistency.

It should be said that I don't pipe my frosting. Because I've tried that and trust me, Martha Stewart makes it look way easier than it is. I just use a tiny spoon and dribble the frosting in a cross over the buns. And yeah, I say, "In the name of the Father, the Son and the Holy Spirit" as I do each one. 'Cause I'm goofy like that.

Labels: ,

10 Comments:

Blogger rosemary opined...

So, could you post the low cholesterol/low fat version because my mouth is watering. My mom used to make something similar I think but no currants. She would save a little bit of the frosting for me and I would squeeze lemon juice in it...I know...strange.

April 02, 2007 7:15 PM  
Blogger Citymouse opined...

We do easter babka-- takes over12 hours to make but it is mmm mmm good.

April 02, 2007 8:45 PM  
Blogger Lorraine opined...

Rosie, I'm guessing you could make whatever Egg Beater sort of adjustments you'd need to make and proceed as written. Or just make the damn buns and don't eat anything else for breakfast.

Mmm, babka. You're a braver Mouse than I, Gunga Din.

April 02, 2007 9:55 PM  
Blogger Nicole opined...

Thank you. I tried piping frosting last week, what a nightmare. Chocolate shortbread with white chocolate icing. I finished with a spoon too.

April 02, 2007 11:57 PM  
Blogger Nicole opined...

So wait, you guys don't like raisins baked in things but currants are ok? Le hmmm.

April 02, 2007 11:58 PM  
Blogger Grish opined...

DHL will be there in the morn to pick mine up...:-P

April 03, 2007 12:40 AM  
Blogger Red Seven opined...

The last lines made me chuckle. I didn't guffaw, but I chuckled heartily.

April 03, 2007 5:54 AM  
Blogger Lorraine opined...

You're welcome, Nicole. Currants are little tiny things and they don't get that weird mooshy thing that baked raisins can. And The Spouse doesn't even like the currants so he picks them out and leaves them on his pretty pink Easter plate.

Grish: Duly noted, will be increasing the recipe...

Red, a guffaw, a chuckle...so long as you got a little merriment.

April 03, 2007 6:19 AM  
Blogger Unknown opined...

I really want to make these for this year's Easter dinner. I think I will try hard to find the time!
Thanks for the recipe. You made me feel great after reading your lastest posts. Thanks for that too.

April 03, 2007 8:02 AM  
Blogger Renee opined...

I'm humming "Hot Cross Buns." We were all forced to play it on our recorders in 4th grade.

They sound yummy.

April 03, 2007 8:39 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home