Tuesday, March 20, 2007

Primavera


Spring has sprung. Actually, it's making more of a whirring noise, like something is stuck on the gears. But it's trying really hard. The sun broke through the rain clouds a minute ago, then thought better of it.


It is damp, but everything is budding. The grass is getting lush and full. I'm thinking again about a pygmy goat. On Sunday I went out to pull weeds from the herb garden and came in smelling like rosemary and thyme. Yum. I bought garden seeds last week, too. Sweet peas (which I was supposed to plant on St. Patrick's day but didn't) and a few things for the potagers. And when I say "a few" I mean it. I'm done with planting fancy varieties of carrots and beets. I'm over peas and French zucchini. I like them and all, but let's face it. I can find that stuff in the market whenever I want. This year I'm keeping it really, really simple. There will be a pot of mesclun (the cut and come again type), tricolor beans (yellow, purple and green) and artichokes. That's it. Oh, and I'm going to order some cornichon from a website because it is super fun to make my own pickles. And of course, I'll put in some peppers and tomato plants, but I'm done starting those from seed. I end up with way more plants than my garden can accommodate and have fewer varieties. Let someone else bother with that. Plus, the grapes and apple stick will deliver plenty of bang for absolutely no buck. Love that.


Still, it's that time. I'm not going to be fussing with the gardens a whole lot but I'll be fussing. For the next couple of weeks it will be all about the weeding, moving mulch, turning compost and moving pots. Then the real fun will begin.





I know at least 2 of you care about this. Go write a letter.




You absolutely must take time to go read Iwanski's analysis of the latest Iraqi poll. Brilliant, as always.




Happy first day of spring!

Labels: , ,

20 Comments:

Blogger Seattle Coffee Girl opined...

Really nice post today, LT. Makes me feel like going out to buy polka-dotted grosgrain ribbon in a very lovely, spring-like color. Not as huge a commitment as sandals in March, but equally as sunny and inspiring for SPRING.

Your garden notes remind me of when my dad used to grow artichokes in CA using plastic garbage pails. They were fabulous beacons at the entrance to the garden: two big containers with these crazy thistled plants guarding the rest of the garden.

Good for you on deciding not to start those items from seed this year. Life is too short to do tomatoes from seed, that’s what my dad always said. Your tri-colored beans sound fantastic! Nothing quite like a cold bean salad on a hot summer day.

I can’t imagine you smelling anything like rosemary after visiting your garden, what with the ongoing dearth of it. Makes me very sad, indeed.

Iwanski’s post rocks the house, will have to go and tell him as much. But I post it here because I’m sure he’ll be by momentarily to comment on yours. :)

March 20, 2007 11:31 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous opined...

I'm not gonna fight the Gilmore thing. No petition is going to change the mind of a spoiled young actress who doesn't know a good thing when she sees it.

March 20, 2007 12:03 PM  
Blogger Lorraine opined...

Yeah, I'm going to put my chokes in pots for the same reason. Those bad boys are awesome garden structure. And thanks, SCG, for your continued understanding of the woe that is my rosemary dearth. ha.

JP, Baby. I wrote the woman in charge of programming and told her about our idea for just ignoring Rory altogether, shipping her off to some hinterland and focusing on Luke & Emily and their relationships with Lorelie. Alexis Blendel. Pft. Who needs her?

March 20, 2007 12:14 PM  
Blogger HORIZON opined...

Happy Springtime Lorraine- time to get out in the garden again for sure- in between the wet and windy but we'll get there :)
I am getting ready with my daughter tonight for her nursing interview for uni tomorrow- ironing and organising. Hubby is giving her the pep talk for the interview skills now- God l hope she's listening.
Bests

March 20, 2007 12:46 PM  
Blogger Red Seven opined...

And are you going to Scarborough Fair???

March 20, 2007 12:58 PM  
Blogger Lorraine opined...

Bon chance to M, Horizon! Happy spring.

Yes, Red. I need parsley.

March 20, 2007 1:19 PM  
Blogger TWISI opined...

WOOHOO Spring has Sprung! I wish you petunia and butterflies!

March 21, 2007 7:46 AM  
Blogger Lorraine opined...

Back atcha, schweetie. Apple blossoms and ladybugs!

March 21, 2007 8:07 AM  
Blogger Blogger opined...

Happy First Day of Spring to you too... or we could just say: Happy Iranian New Year.

I got woken up by a call from all my relatives in Tehran this morning... which is quite a pleasant way of being woken up...

My Gran said she hopes I become wealthy enough to buy a Mercedes one day. I love it when other people's frames of reference make me chuckle.

March 21, 2007 8:30 AM  
Blogger Lorraine opined...

Happy Iranian New Year, then, Dariush. How 'bout this: if you do become wealthy may it be as a writer.

March 21, 2007 8:38 AM  
Blogger Br. Jonathan opined...

Can you milk a pygmy goat? You could make your own goat's cheese. Well, a little bit anyway.

March 21, 2007 9:00 AM  
Blogger Lorraine opined...

That's exactly what I'm thinking, Jon.

March 21, 2007 9:03 AM  
Blogger Unknown opined...

My crocuses are blooming! And I barbecued dinner the other night!!!

March 21, 2007 5:39 PM  
Blogger Iwanski opined...

I thank you ever so kindly.

March 21, 2007 5:59 PM  
Blogger rosemary opined...

Ahem....a small correction in your post. Rosemary should always be capitalized.

March 21, 2007 8:12 PM  
Blogger rosemary opined...

PS Have you ever had the stalk of the artichoke plant? Great Italian delicacy....tastes just like the heart....breaded and fried...yummy. They are nasty to clean however.

March 21, 2007 8:14 PM  
Blogger Lorraine opined...

My apologies, Rosemary. Of course. Thank heaven I don't have a friend named Thyme. And no, I've never eaten an artichoke stalk but if my crop is successful I just might. Send me the recipe. Please. Rosemary. With a capital R.

March 21, 2007 8:54 PM  
Blogger Lorraine opined...

Croci! Blooming things. Yay!

March 21, 2007 8:54 PM  
Blogger Molly opined...

In April, Chamber Singers is doing this huge weekend show called Ah Primavera! We have learned a bunch of spring madrigals and such and we are dressing up in costumes and feeding out guests desserts. Would you be interested in attending? There are tickets that would have to be purchased which is kinda lame but still, it would be worth it. I am performing a monologue from A Midsummer Night's Dream and possibly singing my competition piece, Plaisir da'mour.

March 21, 2007 9:26 PM  
Blogger Lorraine opined...

Email me, Mols. Give me the dates and I'll see if we're free. Of course, you realize, if we come it means you are kicked out of your bedroom. Still want us?

March 21, 2007 9:28 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home