Saturday, March 17, 2007

Happy Joy


Last night we ate delicious fish and chips and watched, as The Spouse likes to call it, "My Immense Adipose Hellenic Nuptials". It was a very pleasant evening, all the more so because The Cat is improving.

Her spirits and energy had seemed much improved to me. She was wandering away from the house and walking on top of the fence, feats quite beyond her earlier in the week. She was hissing at The Dog and fought furiously when The Child put her in the pet carrier. We were trying to be guarded when we went to the vet yesterday but we couldn't help being hopeful.

Upon examination the vet said that her kidney was smaller and softer than it had been on Monday. She still has a heart murmur but that could absolutely be connected to the kidney issue. Therefore, she will stay on her regimen of fluids, pills and special food for a month and then he'll do some more blood work. We were all extremely relieved and The Child and I indulged in happy tears.
(I keep thinking what a good thing it is that Charlie is on hiatus and not reading blogs. This all would have pained him so deeply).



Btw, yes. I know. Thank you. We've already had one phone call and an email about the pet food/kidney failure recall thingy. Neither the food she had prior to The Incident or the new stuff is affected. Although it did occur to me that if we had been giving her tainted food we might be able to sue for the costs of all the vet bills. 'Cause I'm American like that.


I mentioned earlier in the week the "wallpaper" nature of The Cat and how easy it is to take her for granted. I've since been spending time every day petting her and telling her what a pretty kitty she is and listening to her purr. The fact that we thought we might be losing her was the motivation, of course, until I realized - and not for the first time but I'm slow - that we really can't take the creatures in our lives for granted because we really just don't know what each day will bring. And when I say "creatures" I mean all the living things around us.

I remember the stories after 9/11, family members and friends recalling last words, last interactions with those they lost. I think of ChouChou, who has twice beaten cancer and knows a thing or two about how fragile and precious life is. She never ends a conversation without saying "I love you". It's a good practise.

Oh, I know there are people who think that you cheapen the phrase by overuse. But can you really be overusing "I love you" when it is said to people you really love? I don't think so. If you love people, you should tell them. Don't assume they know. Heck, I know that the people in my life know that I love them. Of course they do. But telling them is still a good thing, something I need to make sure I'm doing more often. (Sometimes it seems I say "I love you" to people like The Neighbor, ChouChou, JP and Buck more than I do to The Spouse and The Child. I need to work on that).

Anyway, the point is, I took my cat for granted until it was almost too late and I'm not going to do that anymore. Not with her or The Dog or The Child or The Spouse. Or with anyone else that I love. At least, I'm going to try really hard to be more mindful.

Thanks for all your sweet words of encouragement and prayers and stuff. I know she's "just a cat" but it meant a lot that so many of understood. And I'm just so happy to be telling you that it looks like she's on the mend. Yippee!

Labels:

16 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous opined...

Love you too, pumpkin!

March 17, 2007 2:38 PM  
Blogger Lorraine opined...

I love it when you call me "Pumpkin".

March 17, 2007 2:47 PM  
Blogger rosemary opined...

I am glad Phoebe is mending...have you learned to give the IV fluids? If you have will you come over here and give Drake hers? Please? I say ILY all the time and can't tell those that I say it to enough; my kids, Steve, step kids, the pets...I love my forest creatures and they have names so that makes it easy to love them. you are a nice woman Lorraine.

March 17, 2007 6:07 PM  
Blogger Unknown opined...

We all say "I love you" all the time to each other. I can't think of a phone call, unless it's The Spouse and me arguing, that doesn't end with "I love you" by both parties. Maybe it's the Italian in me (that would be Rosemary's excuse too), or maybe it's just the way I've always been. My siblings all do it too - to me, to their families. My kids and kids-in-law all say it to me and vice versa, and we all hug and kiss when we first come together and when we part. Sometimes I wonder if it has become routine, but as you said, can it ever, really? And I tell my cat - and even my fish - how much I love them every day. I'm such a sap.

March 17, 2007 7:13 PM  
Blogger Unknown opined...

Oh yeah - and rosemary is right - you are a nice woman, L, and I'm super happy about Phoebe. JP, I love you too, sweetie, especially since the new haircut. And rosemary, you KNOW I love you! Wow, what a love fest you've begun, Lorraine!

March 17, 2007 7:15 PM  
Blogger Lorraine opined...

I love ya, Gina. Truly. And you're not a sap.

March 17, 2007 9:02 PM  
Blogger Lorraine opined...

Rosemary, It's The Spouse who is "juicing" her...I just refuse. But at least one of us can do it. And thanks. You're a nice woman, too. Love you.

March 17, 2007 9:04 PM  
Blogger Red Seven opined...

You're right; there can never be too many "I love you's" in the world. And I totally get the happy tears about the cat. I forgive those who don't have pets for not understanding, but they really do become part of the family. Now go tell the Spouse and Child how mucyh you love them!

March 17, 2007 10:12 PM  
Blogger Br. Jonathan opined...

Awww. You're gonna make me cry like when I watch "The Waltons!" I love you too.
Good-night, Lorraine-girl.
Buck

March 18, 2007 6:49 AM  
Blogger Lorraine opined...

Ok, Red. But first...love ya!

Goodnight, Buck-boy.

March 18, 2007 7:43 AM  
Blogger HORIZON opined...

Great news to hear that your wee cat is on the mend Lorraine.
Snow on the way this side ;) Glad you liked the band promo pic-lol. l think you look like a doll!
Away now to tell the kids l love em.
Bests

March 18, 2007 10:45 AM  
Blogger Citymouse opined...

Was checking on the cat (and yes the cat food thing)

March 18, 2007 7:47 PM  
Blogger Grish opined...

:-)

March 19, 2007 1:30 AM  
Blogger Blogger opined...

How fabulous that your feline is feeling finer. (Sorry, couldn't resist.)

And no, I don't think you can overuse 'I love you' either. Misuse, maybe, but not overuse.

March 19, 2007 5:41 AM  
Blogger Molly opined...

okay number one: I love you
Number two: i totally agree! you can't overuse the phrase I love you. It's such a warm fuzzy phrase! I say it to everyone... well, usually not to boys. I'm kinda saving that one for a little later in life when i have someone who will want to say it back.
number 3: Poor kitty!!! We just took Paul Anka into the vet to get fixed (like there was something wrong with her!! I guess in the vet's mind the proper state of a cat is to be sterile.) she is sleeping on the rocking chair and loving being spoiled.

March 21, 2007 9:30 PM  
Blogger Lorraine opined...

Mols, I'm sorry, but Paul Anka was breeding at a rate of twice a year. "Fixing" her was the right thing to do. (Poor little kitties being given away outside Walmart. Breaks my heart).

And I love you, too.

March 21, 2007 10:53 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home