Thursday, March 08, 2007

Mutimedia Thursday


I have a new look. My hair is getting really long, which is very exciting to me. I colored it over the weekend, going with more of a cocoa brown thing than what I've been sporting. I hate styling my hair, mostly because I never really learned how, so I bought some hot rollers to make things easy on myself. My hair has a lot of body and if I'm not careful, the curling action gives me very big astronaut's wife hair. But when the curls are just so (usually after I've slept on them), I get this kind of Laura Roslin* thing going on. It's awesome.


You may address me as Madame President.

*Laura Roslin, President of the 12 Colonies on "Battlestar Galactica", in case you didn't know.



Wednesday has become movie night around here. Last night we watched "The Lake House". It's a quiet little romance starring Sandra Bullock, or as The Spouse likes to call her, The Child's New Mommy. She teams up with "Speed" co-star Keanu Reeves who, let's be honest, has all the acting range of a cat but I like him anyway.

The story is about 2 people who meet and develop a relationship by writing to each other while living in the same house. The catch is that she lives in it in 2006 and he lives there in 2004. There were a lot of things to like about this movie but what I enjoyed the most is that it is a perfect example of "suspension of disbelief". The point of the story isn't that they don't inhabit the same space-time continuum. Love, it would seem, conquers all. What's cool is that there is no attempt to explain the time glitch. There is no mystery about it, no one tries to understand it. It just is. And the viewer is invited to ignore this niggling little point as well and to just watch as these two make the connections they need to make and understand what they need to understand - about themselves and their choices - in order to finally be together. It was charming and simple and sweet. I liked it way better than "Brokeback Mountain".


out of 5.




Just for fun, if you haven't seen this clip, it's worth the watch. I don't exactly know why I find it so uplifting and charming, but I do.

Labels: , , ,

19 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous opined...

Laura Roslin hair is cool.

Keanu Reeves cannot act.

We're pretty much in agreement today.

March 08, 2007 10:45 AM  
Blogger Unknown opined...

Oh, we have the same hair, 'cept mine's blond! My hair looks bestest when I've slept on it, and if I curl it, I too get the astronaut's wife big hair. More sameness! Oh yeah, and I hate styling mine too - if it's not "blow and go", it's too much work. I'll bet cocoa brown is gorgeous on you!

You made me want to see "The Lake House". Have you seen the previews for "Premonition" with Sandra Bullock? Another one of those space/time continuum things. Looks really good. I love stuff like that.

Actually, I think a cat has a greater acting range than Keanu Reeves. You were being generous.

March 08, 2007 10:52 AM  
Blogger rosemary opined...

No matter what I do I have bed head. Since I cut all of my hair off to get the faux brown out, it is frizzier than ever and all grey...boohoo. I agree with all of you,,Keanu cannot act or even act like he is acting. Have the Lake House...will watch it tonight.

March 08, 2007 11:01 AM  
Blogger Lorraine opined...

JP, Knew you'd like the hair.

Gina, Oh my gosh, we're like Sandra and Keanu...twin sisters born 2 years apart. And yeah, Sandy's new movie looks good.

Rosemary, Let me know what you think. It's no "Casablanca" but it's a nice little flick.

March 08, 2007 11:11 AM  
Blogger Red Seven opined...

The first time (of two) that I was ever on a film set, I worked with an actor who had a bit part with Keanu Reeves. Unaware of this fact, many of us were making fun of Keanu's limited range (as actors are wont to do). This person leapt to Keanu's defense, exclaiming, "He's an extremely intelligent and sensitive person!" Without missing a beat, my friend drolly replied, "Really? It doesn't transfer."

And that, really, was that.

March 08, 2007 11:26 AM  
Blogger Lorraine opined...

I'm sure Keanu is a very nice guy. I'd even invite him to dinner. And then I'd let The Child give him acting tips.

March 08, 2007 12:25 PM  
Blogger Eric opined...

Cool! Does this mean I can have a cool Astronaut name like Rex Krandell or Booster McCloud?

March 08, 2007 12:50 PM  
Blogger Br. Jonathan opined...

When you come to Chicago, can I do a "Farah Fawcett" job on your hair? Miss Healthypants lets me do hers, but only after copious amount of Three-Buck.

Remember "Adorn" hairspray?
I'll have it ready and waiting.

March 08, 2007 2:00 PM  
Blogger Lorraine opined...

Gee, honey, I was thinking something more along the lines of "Admiral".

Jon. I love you. But uh, no.

March 08, 2007 2:11 PM  
Blogger barista brat opined...

i loved that movie.

and it's one of two examples (in my opinion) where hollywood actually improved upon the original.

i didn't like the way the korean film ended, but i loved the ending of the lake house.

also - wicker park had a better ending (again, in my opinion) than the orginal french version (l'appartement) - although wicker park DIDN'T have vincent cassel!

March 08, 2007 2:29 PM  
Blogger Iwanski opined...

That sounds like the kind of movie that Miss Healhtypants wouiild love, so I better make sure she never finds out about it.

March 08, 2007 3:44 PM  
Blogger Lorraine opined...

Brat, how do you know this stuff?

Iwanski, You mean you don't watch chick flicks with the wife?

March 08, 2007 4:53 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous opined...

Is that "Stands with a Fist" from "Dances with Wolves"? I read your blog daily.

from a cornfield in COLYS country

March 09, 2007 3:21 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous opined...

....COLTS.....duh

March 09, 2007 3:23 PM  
Blogger Lorraine opined...

Why, yes, Anonymous, that is indeed her. Mary McDonnell plays Laura Roslin on "Battlestar Galactica". And she's my hero.

Thanks for stopping by. I appreciate it!

March 09, 2007 3:43 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous opined...

I have now put "The Lake House" into our Netflix queue.

Thanks for the suggestion, Lorraine!! My hubby is thrilled. *hee hee*

-MHP :)

March 09, 2007 4:31 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous opined...

I really enjoyed the "Where the Hell is Matt" video until I was browsing his website, and at the end of the FAQ's he says--I'm not sure if he's joking or not--that the whole thing is a hoax.

Could it be? I've searched the web and can't figure it out!

-MHP :)

March 09, 2007 4:33 PM  
Blogger Lorraine opined...

MHP, Oh, now Iwanksi just loves me sooooo much. And the last thing is just a joke (actually, his humor reminds me a bit of your spouse's). Check out the website for Stride gum.

March 09, 2007 5:23 PM  
Blogger Hapamama opined...

I'm jealous. The closeset I can get to looking like a BSG character (without major transformation) is Dualla - blech.

I'm so glad to hear someone say something nice about "The Lake House".

March 11, 2007 2:40 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home