Tuesday, March 13, 2007

Some Updates

The Cat

Our vet saw her yesterday. She is much improved in fiestiness and spirits, which is a good thing. It suggests she's responding to the antibiotics. He did find some other things which could be indicative of a more severe condition, however, so he's doing some blood work and we'll see if that tells us anything. Meanwhile, she's dehydrated so if she doesn't seem to be drinking enough we have to push fluids. Hi. Picture me administering an IV bag to a rascally cat. Yeah, I can't see it, either.

We should have the blood tests back today or tomorrow.

The Child is being very brave and hopeful. Which is sweet and distressing. This is really hard for her.

By the time I was her age I'd seen so many animals go to their reward. I lived on a farm growing up. It happened. And if they were sick, Sean Connory was the one who moved them on to the next realm. (Something he did not enjoy, btw). Besides a frog, 2 fish and a couple of stick bugs, The Child hasn't had to really deal with pet death. The frog, that was tragic, as she'd raised it from a tadpole. But after a proper keening and a liturgically correct funeral, she was pretty much over it. The Cat would be a much bigger deal.

This sucks.

The Job

I learned yesterday that my application has made it past the HR people and onto the desk of the Department Director. Said Director has been in London and just returned. So I'm assuming I'm only one of 412,000 things she has to deal with in the next couple of weeks. But it was nice to know that I've been deemed a qualified candidate by HR. I continue to be very excited by the possibilities of this gig so that news made me superfantastically happy.

Newspapers

City Mouse gave me a fine addition for the newspaper list I posted yesterday:

The Chicago Tribune is read by people who work their butts off so other people can run the country.

This inspired me to consider another omission from the list:

The Seattle Times is read by people who are trying to come to consensus on whether to commission a study to determine the viability of developing a non-partisan board to conduct a survey on whether to call a public vote on the question of the desirability of running the country. Latte, anyone?

Baseball

The Mariners are 3-10 in spring training. Bodes well. Not.

Labels: , , ,

10 Comments:

Blogger TWISI opined...

But YOU are most important in the 412,000...so the future boss needs to shape up and get you on the phone PRONTO!

March 13, 2007 8:38 AM  
Blogger Lorraine opined...

Well, you know that, Kendall and I know that and someday she'll know that but for now I can be generous and give her time to get over her jet lag.

March 13, 2007 8:54 AM  
Blogger rosemary opined...

Great about the job and the kitty...really great. My spouse travels all over the US for his job and for some reason he brings home the local papers from the particular city he is in thinking I will want to read them...he doesn't read them of course and I guess it is a nice thing he does...but the news is all the same..just in a different place.

March 13, 2007 9:40 AM  
Blogger Unknown opined...

Oh, such hopefully good news on The Cat! I am crossing every possible crossable thing. (That sounded very Suess-ish.)

As for The Job, also crossing stuff. And I'm sure you meant that your application has made it past the HR person's desk, right? If it passed their desk, well, it may have passed into the trash can, so we know it wasn't that.

And I think your Seattle Times thingee is right on! SO Seattle!

So, if not the Mariners, who? Grim pickings.

March 13, 2007 9:43 AM  
Blogger Lorraine opined...

Thanks, Rosemary. The vet just called and the news wasn't totally good (partly because I do have to start pushing fluids and soooo don't want to do that) but if she responds to that and the antibiotics then maybe she'll be ok.

And yes Stickler Everything Crossed, I meant that it got past HR. Tee. Also, that cramping from having everything crossed...it turns to a dull ache after a while.

March 13, 2007 9:51 AM  
Blogger Sling opined...

1 in 412,000??...They obviously don't know who we think you are!...No problem..Give me the number,and I'll call the HR director personally and get this whole thing straightened out. :)

March 13, 2007 7:20 PM  
Blogger Lorraine opined...

Sling, have I told you lately that I love you?

March 13, 2007 8:32 PM  
Blogger Blogger opined...

I go away for a few days and so much stuff happens!

Still keeping my fingers crossed for you re: the job!

March 14, 2007 5:43 AM  
Blogger Lorraine opined...

I appreciate it it, Dariush...especially as the crossed fingers can complicate typing, cooking and such. And how was your trip? Did the fete go well? Was the weather cooperative?

March 14, 2007 6:16 AM  
Blogger Blogger opined...

I'd forgotten I'd told you about that. Yes, the weekend was a great success, thanks for asking. The weather couldn't have been better.

Part 2 of the 80th birthday celebrations takes place on the 23rd... to be followed by Part 3 which'll happen on 14th April and will involve France... and French food! Can't wait!

March 14, 2007 12:45 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home