Tuesday, March 06, 2007

Tuesday This and That

I cannot believe what a beautiful, mild day it is today. This is the sort of day that begs me to put on schleppy clothes and go work in the garden. As I am currently sporting a rather adorable ensemble of black knee length pencil skirt and grey cashmere turtleneck sweater, the day will have to beg a bit harder for me to actually change. But it's a nice thought. And there is certainly nothing to prevent me sketching some garden plans and surfing the web for cornichon seed.




The Child asked to take a mental health day today. As you know, she is allowed one a trimester. She came to me not just with the request but also with a well-considered proposal as to how she would spend her day which included the caveat that she wouldn't even consider turning on the television until 4:30 "because that's around the time I'd be home from school" and she's only going to turn on her computer to work on a story for class. I enjoy her mental health days because she is particularly sensible of the honor it is to stay home under these circumstances and she is very amenable of spirit and disciplined about using her time. So, win-win. Plus, she's supposed to make dinner tomorrow night but I think she may as well do it tonight, don't you?





Meanwhile, my car is in the shop getting brand new platinum brakes encrusted with diamonds and rubies in a tasteful setting. Yes, I'm paying extra to have the brakes engraved with The Spouse's and my initials intertwined in the shape of a fleur-de-lis but as I always say, "It's only money".




The Child had dinner at a friend's house last night and came home with a pizza bagel...apparently that family too was visited by generous Purim fairies. Anyhoo, she had this bagel and I suggested she save it for breakfast but she wanted to eat it. Then, as it turned out, she decided mom was right so she wrapped it up and had it on her desk, saving it for morning.


In the middle of the night I heard "No! Bad cat!" with attendant thumping of feet and slamming of doors. The Cat had found the treat, chewed through the bag and awakened The Child with the noise of her munching. The Cat was then banished from The Child's room and the bagel thrown in the trash. I just found The Dog chewing on it. On the couch.




The Child is eating her lunch in the other room at the moment and I just heard her say, "Two wrongs don't make a right but three rights make a left".




Having been denied his pizza bagel, The Dog has retreated to rest. Outside. In the sun. On the deck. I told you it was a beautiful day.

Labels:

19 Comments:

Blogger Seattle Coffee Girl opined...

Does the Child's analogy mean that three Republicans equal a Democrat?

Oh, I'm running on fumes and making tremendous extrapolations, must go eat some lunch.

Happy Sunny Day! K and I canceled ph'o and will reconvene when your car is done being encrusted with glittery things. But we're still going to take advantage of the sun and go for a walk at 1pm...

March 06, 2007 12:09 PM  
Blogger Lorraine opined...

No, honey, it was just an off beat little joke she was reciting. So go get some food. (And yay! Thanks for waiting on the pho date).

March 06, 2007 2:12 PM  
Blogger rosemary opined...

Sun here today! YEA! Are your cat and dog Italian or Jewish? They obviously have good taste in cuisine and eclectic too maybe? Wow, how special to have brakes like that....mine smell like burning something or other but that's because I drove home with the e-brake on. If I do that again maybe I can get my hubby to put gold brakes on my car.

March 06, 2007 2:53 PM  
Blogger Lorraine opined...

Oh, Rosemary, I'm soooo happy for you. Is the snow melting?

As for the ethnicity of the animals, one can never be sure but we know this much: they are both epicurious.

I prefer the understated hues of platinum for my brakes, as you know, but certainly gold is always appropriate.

March 06, 2007 2:58 PM  
Blogger Unknown opined...

Sun here today too! And the snow is melting. Amazing that two days ago there was over a foot of snow on the lawn, and today I can actually see grass! What's even nicer are the gorgeous snow-capped mountain tops in the east, tinged pink by the setting sun, that I can see from my office window. Ah, glorious, sunny, winter days!

I love The Child's analogy. It makes so much sense!

March 06, 2007 5:39 PM  
Blogger Sling opined...

The last couple of days have been uber-pleasant here in O-town as well.(we seem to get your leftover weather down here).
Oh yeah,..DeBeers called.They want the name of your mechanic.

March 06, 2007 5:48 PM  
Blogger Lorraine opined...

Don't you just love spring, Gina?

"Uber pleasant"...dig you coming up with yet another classic phrase, Sling. The mechanic's number is 55B-LING.

March 06, 2007 6:29 PM  
Blogger Dana opined...

Prepare for some gush.

Your posts have been just grand lately. A real joy to read. Thank you for sharing this part of you with all of us!

I mean it.

March 06, 2007 6:35 PM  
Blogger Lorraine opined...

Geez, Dana. You don't even know what that means to me right now. I mean it.

March 06, 2007 7:03 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous opined...

just like to point out that it is SNOWING here. glad my emerald-and-princess-cut-diamond-encrusted brakes were installed last year. props to my mechanic (my dad!)
sincerely,
stacy in snowy milwaukee

ps: i am SO stealing this mental-health day for when my future babies are older. i only hope for the "sensible" part to come along with this package deal you're presenting lorraine darling.

March 06, 2007 7:25 PM  
Blogger Lorraine opined...

Well, Stacy, since it is still technically winter I guess it should be snowing somewhere. And you know, Wisconsin makes sense.

As for the mental health days, you're welcome to any of my little tricks although, if I were you, I'd wait for full implementation until we see if The Child actually turns out to be a, you know, credit to society and not an ax murderer.

March 06, 2007 7:52 PM  
Blogger Citymouse opined...

Do you remember not too long ago we all wondered if you were ok because of the storm?

March 06, 2007 8:57 PM  
Blogger Lorraine opined...

I DO remember that, Mouse, and it is very weird because the stump of the tree and most of the branches are still lying around and I was walking over them today to get to The Neighbor's for cocktails and it seemed so long ago. Damn. That was a hell of a storm.

March 06, 2007 9:13 PM  
Blogger Blogger opined...

Okay, I realise this is a meteorological coincidence, but we've got the sun shining as well. We're hoping it'll last into the weekend 'cause we've got a very special treat planned for a very special relative who's turning 80.

By the way, I love the idea of mental health days.

March 07, 2007 2:43 AM  
Blogger HORIZON opined...

"Two wrongs don't make a right but three rights make a left".-lol- love it :) Funny happenings at your place Lorraine- what a palava.
Bests

March 07, 2007 2:59 AM  
Blogger TWISI opined...

Ok, I PROMISE I didn't read your Blog before coming up with my Post title this morning.... I haven't had time to post all week and the title I used just kinda worked.... I guess great minds, although yours works 24 hours faster than mine!

March 07, 2007 6:07 AM  
Blogger Unknown opined...

Fun, fun, fun. I am with Dana. The post was mag!
I have been looking at thsoe seed catalogs as well.

March 07, 2007 7:01 AM  
Blogger Lorraine opined...

Horizon, the funniest part is that I actually had to act out the 3 rights so that I fully understood the joke. Slow that way.

Kendall, I only own the copyright on the material. The titles, not so much.

Thanks, Greeny. Have you been looking at Renee's Seeds? That's my favorite.

March 07, 2007 7:20 AM  
Blogger Lorraine opined...

What fun, Dariush! Tea in the garden? Hope the weather holds for you as well...it's already raining again here but I'm happy to keep it from you if it helps.

March 07, 2007 7:21 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home